SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By Tommy
  • 1 Post By Randall Thomas
  • 3 Post By jhv48
  • 1 Post By patrickt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2024, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2920 w/ Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     
Default Sticking throttle when hot

Question about an occasional sticking throttle in my Superformance SPO 2920 and 2010 Keith Craft street crate 408.

The car is 13 years old and has ~ 5500 miles.

When driven is hot conditions (>90F)… After a couple red lights, the radiator fans come on at an indicated 100C and then sometimes the throttle begins to stick. RPM fails to drop between shifts and slowly creeps up at slow speeds.

I have to push in the clutch and tap the throttle to get it back to normal.

Everything seems to work perfectly while cold in the garage. Only when it’s very hot.

Thoughts?
Old 01-23-2024, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I'd start by going to a stronger throttle return spring to see if that helped.
mrmustang, PJ UPTMOR and Kthulu like this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 01-23-2024, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Three Cobras, one 351W, one 427SO, one 527BB & one GT-40 427R
Not Ranked     

Most likely the nylon bushing in the cross shaft pivot is galling/sticking and needs to be disassembled, cleaned, the shaft polished and the bushing reamed and reassembled using Poly Eaze which is a sticky lube that will prevent future moisture and debris from re-entering.
mrmustang likes this.
Old 01-24-2024, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Here’s a way to test it.
When everything is good and hot, park the car. With the engine running, open the hood and slowly add throttle. Then slowly let it off. If the rpm’s stay high, close the carburetor throttle manually to see if it is hanging up and not returning to the stop. If it’s not closing the throttle completely, then try a stiffer return spring. You can take the air cleaner off and look at the throttle blades to see if they are closing all the way.
If everything works as it’s supposed to, then you might have a hanging distributor weight that won’t allow the distributor to return to idle setting. Look for corrosion in the distributor.
Tommy, eschaider and Kthulu like this.
Old 01-24-2024, 12:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the ideas. I'll try them out.
Old 01-24-2024, 04:52 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

This is a perfect opportunity to add a second throttle return spring, which you should have had all along....
Tommy likes this.
Old 01-26-2024, 08:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I had to disassemble and clean it due to a similar issue
Old 01-30-2024, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
This is a perfect opportunity to add a second throttle return spring, which you should have had all along....
Added second spring about 10 years ago. Maybe I need a stiffer spring. I'll see what I have available.

Also cleaned linkage once or twice. Will do it again. Only 5500 miles on car.

Still wonder why it only does it when it's very hot outside (>90 degrees in traffic).

Last edited by Voyager; 01-30-2024 at 01:50 PM..
Old 01-30-2024, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Had a similar problem. Not so much from heat or a hot day. Come to a stop light or stop sign and the RPMs would hang up and a soft tap on the throttle would return to normal idle. I thought the advance timing in the dist. were sticking so cleaned and lubed with wd4o, didn't solve the issue. Found the lower throttle plate of the carb was worn at the shafts that control the butterflies. A little bit of play was allowing air to enter below the butterflies or maybe not allowing the carb to settle all the way back to idle. So I replaced the throttle plate and problem is solved. The carb has some miles maybe 30K and 15 years old. 2 springs. I hope this helps. Good luck.

John
Old 01-30-2024, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Had a similar problem. Not so much from heat or a hot day. Come to a stop light or stop sign and the RPMs would hang up and a soft tap on the throttle would return to normal idle. I thought the advance timing in the dist. were sticking so cleaned and lubed with wd4o, didn't solve the issue. Found the lower throttle plate of the carb was worn at the shafts that control the butterflies. A little bit of play was allowing air to enter below the butterflies or maybe not allowing the carb to settle all the way back to idle. So I replaced the throttle plate and problem is solved. The carb has some miles maybe 30K and 15 years old. 2 springs. I hope this helps. Good luck.

John