SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2002, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Turbocharging

I don't think I've ever seen the subject of a turbocharged engine being used on one of our cars. Do any of you have any knowledge or experience in this? I'd be interested to see what a twin-turbo set-up would do for a car like the Cobra. Any thoughts?
Steve:
Old 02-18-2002, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner Contemporary FIA with 351W,Former Owner KMP 296 FIA Hybrid. Former owner CSX4241
Not Ranked     

I posted a picture of a twin turbo cobra on thead "twin turbo" if you are interested in seeing a picture. It is not my engine nor do I know much about the details.

Stu
Old 02-18-2002, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Stu! It was great to get to see pictures and hear about this application. I'm considering it for mine, although the head gasket business sounds kinda grim. Think I'll ask those guys some questions.
Steve
Old 02-19-2002, 02:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Steve, depending on how heavily you want to modify your motor for the twin turbos, they can double the power of your motor quite easily. If you want a milder setup, as long as you have the tune-up safe you can still make healthy power gains with no loss in reliability.

For any boost level, I would recommend an intercooler.

There's a twin turbo quad cam V8 around my part of the world that makes fantastic, useable torque. There is obviously greater heat generated by the turbos, but it really isn't an issue in this car. It is SO MUCH FUN to drive because the torque catapults you forward without requiring massive rpm's to get there.

There are a couple of CC members that either have completed turbo Cobras, or are building them at the moment. I'm sure they'll chime in!
Old 02-19-2002, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five W/ R block Stroker, Twin Turbos.
Not Ranked     
Default Twin-Turbos

Ok, I'll chime in. Had the head gasket problem until I O-ringed the heads. No more problems. Runs great now.

The additional power is great. It also helps to have a few friends with a great deal of knowledge and experience with turbos.

What else can I tell you?? Post here or e-mail me.

Later,

Mike
Old 02-19-2002, 07:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Comments on Turbo's

Just thought I'd add a couple of thoughts. I turbocharged my Kawasaki 1100 years ago and a couple of things that I learned the hard way about Turbo Chargers. They make tremendous horsepower increases. Bike ran 9.38 @ 150 with only a 7" slick and wheelie bar.

First with a Turbo if it EVER detonates hard, you've probably crushed the ring lands.

Secondly, if your are going to turbo any vehicle try and fit an intercooler on it as it helps with problem one above.

Seriously consider alcohol injection if your plan on running pump gas on the street. OR turn down the boost.

As Mike said above, O-ring the heads. Solid head gaskets help to.

Have FORGED pistons if you're going to make any boost OR if there is a chance of detonation. (There is always a chance)

Last rule that Turbo's teach, IF you have an adjustable waste gate. ie adjustable Horsepower you'll use it

So plan accordingly. Make the motor as strong as you possibly can as "doubling" the horsepower doesn't come without a price.

Good luck,
Old 02-19-2002, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five W/ R block Stroker, Twin Turbos.
Not Ranked     

Bob,

You know that you never turn the boost DOWN!!!

The first time I turned mine up I didn't realize the small adjustment needed to the valve. Went from 8 lbs to 17. The first time I rolled into it was in third gear. Pulled so dam* hard I nearly blacked out - oh that was when I lost the second set of head gaskets. I turned it back down and it has not been touched since then.

I agree, got to have an intercooler as the heat transferred to the compressor side of the turbo from the exhaust side can really get the temp of the intake charge up. Use the largest one you can fit in the car.

A turbo Kawasaki 1100??? And I thought twins on a light Cobra was overkill.

Later,

Mike
Old 02-19-2002, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Mike

Your right about not turning the Boost Down...

I put a REALLY nice Alcohol set up on my Grand National. It allows pump gas to be used at 20lbs of boost. It is boost sensitive in that it comes on at a boost level that you select from the drivers seat. I have mine start coming in at 10 lbs boost. It also has a light that tells you its "On".

Do you have a knock detector on your setup? If you don't they make some really neat setups that will let you "see" the knock in green, yellow, red led's.

Email mail me if you want more info on the above or any other "Turbo" stuff.

Regards,