SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2002, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default The turkeypan or the 14" air cleaner choice

Hi
This is like the last thing I have left/avoided buying....I have searched and read countless posts on either.

I have a couple questions

Will the turkey pan Enzo sells contain a Holley 850 ? It is the mech sec. manual choke (model 4150 I think)
I am 428 with Edelbrock RPM intake
MSD Billet distributor

I am worried about th
e fit into the pan.

I am also kicking around K&N style 14" drop base .I am not sure about what element as I don't know exactly how much clearance I have to the hood opening. The hood scoop is 11" wide and I am screwed if the 14" top starts to get up into the hood.

I think a drop base with a 3" filter will fit as I can see into the hood opening from the front and see a decent clearance above the black plastic holley cover/cap easily.

So this boils down to the turkey pan again..original and cool for shows etc...no worries about clearances possibly. Performance at a disadvantage as it is said to be very restrictive.

Money?? In Canada the K&N is $120 or
$75 US The pan is $175, the S&H with K&N element 65+55 $120..so $295 US.
475 CDN or 120 CDN..
If my cars resale was hanging on this very part I could see buying one then.
But it seems so darn steep and for what??

I don't know....if it boiled down to performance/value, I would go 14", for originality and hood opening pride...Turkey pan. But I find it hard to swallow losing 30 or 40 horse on breathing.

What are your thoughts on this and how is the best way to calculate filter clearances before I buy an element...ie 3 or 4"?

Thanks

Tim

Last edited by Whaler; 02-26-2002 at 04:27 PM..
Old 02-27-2002, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well what the hell...needed something now and so I jumped into a 14" drop base with K&N 3 inch element as well as the x-treme top in polished aluminum finish..

Don't think that should have any problem breathing and according to zderf's formula theres ample of breathing area not even counting the lid.

Turkey pan can come later.

Tim
Old 02-28-2002, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

decisions....I cancelled the 14" went to 9 inch with both the chrome top and the x-treme top..then ordered up a turkey pan.

Couldn't sleep until I did this...LOL

Tim
Old 03-02-2002, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default air cleaner

LOL--- i know what you mean, i spent 2weeks thinking of changing from my chrome 10 inch to something else wanted the large oval cobra air cleaner but no clearance, now i will go with a nice aluminum 12inch oval and maybe the turkey pan, i will not do this i cannot get good flow, i want HP over looks if possible or i will try and get both. you could cheat and add NOS then you have no worries about HP loss.

Mkcobra
Old 03-02-2002, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Does anyone know if a Holley 850 will fit the turkey pan?

MKCobra I hear ya...LOL

Just curious to know if a Holly 850 mechanical sec, mech choke will fit in the Turkey pan Enzo sells??

I imagine enlarging or elongating some holes ...but is anyone running the same??

Tim

Last edited by Whaler; 03-02-2002 at 06:54 PM..
Old 03-02-2002, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default turkey pan

well , i was in austin and did see alot of the turkey pans they are large and the 850 fit well, some even had the 12 inch oval i am running sitting on top, look in the tech formum under dist 351W there is a pic of a nice setup.
Old 03-02-2002, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks MKCobra
Thats re-assuriing and good to know.
I will have a look ion the tech forum

Tim
Old 03-04-2002, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Another consideration on fit

I was just lookiing at my car. I have the 850 with the holley supplied dual feel fuel line...it drops down at the stock angle about 4 inches. The extreme ends look to be lower than the carb flange on the manifold..I have the edelbrock RPM.

So I am wondering does the bottom of the turkey pan need some serious work or is the pan bottom contoured at all...IE flat bottom or will I be opening up here and there...I thought about the throttle linkage on the other side as well. Maybe in the worst case I can't use the nice feed line holley supplied with the carb and have to make something that does not drop down so far into the intake runners and stay above the carb flange line.

Tim
Old 03-04-2002, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

yes, the feed line maybe a problem, some i saw used short downward angle fuel line, the pan is flat with the bottom of the carb but does have some corners cut out to allow for lines in and out. you can probably make it work with very little trouble, if you ordered it from Enzo i heard it will take it back no problem. send me some pics if you get it on.

later Mike
Old 03-04-2002, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for bearing with me on this Mike.
I appreciate someone who has seen one or knows about it.
Yeah the holley dual feeds come 4" out and down at 45 deg then are joined by a nice piece of braided line..at the front is the AN 6 male inlet.
*On a side note would you believe it has cost me $200 CDN just to run from the fuel pump up to the inlet of the fuel line supplied by holley. 3 feet of line 4 connectors/swivels. a coup[le pipe to an males and a nice inline billet filter.....And this was getting deals on all parts
After all this I want to be able to keep it...so you know why I ask about the pan....LOL

I think a way around it will be two oblong holes to allow the two feeds to go thru the pan bottom.

Yes sir ordered it from Paula at Enzos and she said they were backordered a little by 4 or so..She did say if I keep it nice and its a no go ..they will accept returns

Thanks again

Tim