SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2002, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SMC Motorcars 289
Send a message via Yahoo to renaissance man
Not Ranked     
Default Running Hot. Need pics of 289's

My car is still running hot. Like 210-220 when it's 80 degrees out. Even at highway speed so I'm inclined to believe that it's not an airflow problem but perhaps either a water pump or radiator issue. I know the water pump is not correct as I have an original '65 HiPo and the timing pointer on the original covers is on the drivers side at about 10 o'clock (facing the engine from the front). The water pump outlet is also at 10 o'clock on the drivers side obscuring the view of the timing pointer. Temp fix?: put the car on ramps and time from underneath "eyeballing" the timing setting. I have the timing set to 10 degrees BTC as the 289 manual reads. Still getting some backfire but the carb is adjusted properly (this I know). Could the running hot cause my MSD 6a to be "missing"? Also good to know I have a March Underdrive Pulley.

Either I have the wrong water pump on (or not an effecient one) some I have noticed are outlet on the passenger side. Or my radiator (OEM) is not cutting the mustard. It did sit around for 5 years before I got to use it. I flushed the entire system to no avail.
Someone, (I can't remember whom) at the TCC meet suggested a small aluminum radiator that seemed to fix their problem? I have a 1900cfm puller fan on the radiator.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Dave "Ren Man"
Old 03-15-2002, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

It sounds like your timing is off because of the backfire issue. I have found that not all timing lights are accurate. If you have a buddy who also has a timming light double check with his. I've beat myself silly with the same problem you are describing.
If that is not the the problem then I would go to the radiator. Have it rebuilt with a thicker core or get an aluminum replacement.
Old 03-16-2002, 12:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     
Post OVERHEATING 289

When I first got my engine together I was chasing a problem where when the engine would reach operating temp (180 degrees) the thermostat would open the temp gauge would immediatly drop to about 150 degrees and steadily climb back to 180 and stabilize briefly. Then it would continue to climb quickly as I was running down the road past about 210 then drop to 160-170 and start the cycle over again. I was baffled. I began a part replacement regimene. First and formost the water pump was
fresh from parts house, no need to look there (I thought) changed thermostat, flushed radiator, then had it rodded out, checked coolant mix, added Redline redwater wetter. I was also at the time running a Moroso reduced diameter crank pully, with a standard diameter water pump pully (v belt type). I changed back to the standard crank pulley thinking that might speed up the water pump, which it did. I put up with this for several months, asked questions and never got any viable answers, I even removed the thermostat and put various resrictor washers in its place to no avail. It turned out to be the damn impeller on the water pump. I run the early aluminum pump with the outlet on the passenger side and no backing plate on the pump itself. The first pump had a stamped steel impeller, they are used in many applications but aren't very efficient. For some reason I was made aware (can't remember who told me) that the OEM Ford pump for that application had a cast iron impeller with very nice curved blades on the impeller. The water pump must have been cavitating. After installing the Factory pump I have not had a bit of problem. The pump on YOUR engine may not be made for the timing cover that you are using. I believe ALL the early 260/289 had the water pump inlet on the RH side. I think the change to LH intake was with the cast iron pump. The pump itself is deeper with a plate on the back. The timing cover for the Real Hipo 289 was relieved about 3/4-1" where the water pump bolted on. The pump itself has no cover on it and the impeller sticks out the back so it fits almost flush against the back of the relieved area. The reason for the change was to eliminate direct contact of the coolant with the aluminum in the water pump cavity. Poor maintainance will allow corrosion to eat away the aluminum in the cavity thereby allowing coolant to pass directly into the area where the timing chain is and into the oil (Not a good thing!)
Suggest you check to be sure timing cover and pump being used are compatible. My guess you will find a mis match. But take it from me it is easy to overlook something like this, and somewhat difficult to trouble shoot.
Let us all know what you determine to be the cause. You should be able to run a 289 in 110 degree heat in town or at speed without ANY heating problem at all.

Best of luck
Rick........

Last edited by Rick Parker; 03-16-2002 at 12:32 AM..