SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2002, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Shoulder belt mounting

I'm going nuts trying to figure out how to mount shoulder belts for a 5 point harness in my Unique. I want to do this correctly and it appears my 1990 chassis is not set up for more than one mounting point for shoulder belts. After reading a notice on one of the belt manufacturer's web sites that states Y-shoulder belts are not recommended for any car (they still sell 'em though), I'm going with 2 separate shoulder belts.

I found a Unique owner's web site that showed his solution, which is mounting the belts to a cross member outside the trunk where the belts are exposed to elements. I'm not feeling good about this. Any thoughts?

Rich

P.S. I've already contacted Unique and they weren't much help.
Old 03-17-2002, 02:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     
Depending on your seat height---In my car I ran a crossmember thru the trunk area from side to side, bolted it to the rear bulkhead and attached the belts there. After getting it exactly where I wanted it, i ran triangulation to the main frame rails and welded it all together, than hid it with aluminum panelling. It is important to remember that the belt should pull back and slightly down, so this may not work for you if your seat position is too high. There was a very good tech discussion on this topic not long ago...reccd you do a search on seatbelts...good luck, and be safe!
Old 03-17-2002, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rich,
Spend the $ and do it right...just like 427sharpe and the rest of us...

I can't believe I spent $160 to have a pro come out and weld my flanges either, but considering the importance...not much else on the kitcar is as important

You only need 2 straps if you plan to race, the Y is PLENTY beefy for any street machine...

scratch
Old 03-18-2002, 06:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rich,
Shown below is how I mounted mine. The roll bar side has some washers that the previous owner installed that I still have to remove, but you can see the location. Drivers side is attached to the roll bar mounting bracket, and the passengers side is attached to a bracket coming off the inside of the frame rail. Quite easy actually, and everything is inside the trunk. If you have your body on you might have to search around a little for the passenger side bracket.
I wouldn't be afraid of the "Y" harness unless you are going to do some serious racing & in that case you will need to do some additions for roll cage, etc. along with a cross member behind the seats where you would mount the harnesses.
Old 03-18-2002, 06:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Try again!

For some reason I can't get it to work this time. Email me at:

dave.brouwer@rapistan.com

and I will send you the pictures.

Last edited by Homewrecker; 03-18-2002 at 06:32 AM..
Old 03-19-2002, 08:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Post 5 Point Harness

Hello Rich,

This may help.

When I installed mine, I recall the manufacturer was specific that the shoulder belt should NOT be lower than 4" below your shoulder. With that in mind, I mounted the belts with 7/16" bolts through the back wall. They bolt to a 4 x 4" steel plate on the other side. I was told this should be ample.
The brackets that come with the belts were bent slightly outwards so they would not touch the body.

Old 03-20-2002, 06:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     
Something I forgot to mention the first go 'round..
When you get the belts securely mounted, be sure to get a set of the seat belt escutcheon plates from Enzo @ Finishline--they're awesome!
Old 03-20-2002, 09:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

427sharpe, running a bracket from side to side in the trunk was my first plan. It turns out there's no where to securely attach it.

scratch, believe me, I realize the importance. Three weeks ago an oncoming SUV made a left turn in front of my son's car, the belt retractors failed, and his head bounced off the windshield. He's okay, which is more than can be said for his Accord (totalled) or the three day old 2002 Trail Blazer (also totalled) that hit him.

Homewrecker, thanks for the pictures. They inspired my final solution.

Campy, nice lookin' car! There's no solid surface near the bulkhead to mount the belts on my car.

427sharpe, already got 'em.

I ended up have 2 brackets fabbed from 1/4" angle
iron with a full length gusset. They're attached through the frame with 1/2" grade 8 bolts. The belt attachment (also 1/2" grade 8 bolt) comes up through the trunk. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Rich
Old 03-25-2002, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Campy,

Again, thanks for posting the photos and sending me the link in the other thread. I want to ask you a question about your installation, and I will preface it with the hope that I don't come across as negative, as that is absolutely not my intention. If it seems like that, I apologize in advance.

From the photos it looks like a frontal impact would place a severe bending moment on the bolt in end plates that the shoulder harnesses are attached to. Would it be better to use an eye bolt through the rear firewall (and the 4x4" load plate) and a set of the 'clip in' ends that attach through the eyelet in the end of the eye bolt? I would worry about the plates bending and breaking in the event of a severe impact. What do you think? Thanks.

Mike
Old 03-27-2002, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Post Belt attachement

Good point, but would that not also apply the same force?
I was informed that the attachment method would be sufficient.
What's sad is the only way either of us would know for sure is a crash test.
My logic is such:
Statistically I have a greater chance at a side or corner impact than a direct head-on collision. Probably more so in the corner given the limited structure/reinforcement in the door. Under these conditions the belts would be effective in keeping my body in the vehicle "most" of the time. I don’t suspect logically that I would have much of a chance at all in the even of a high-speed head on. The steering column would probably crush or pierce my chest first. I don't mean to be morbid, just a matter-of-fact.
I look at it this way. These are not production cars, nor would they ever pass modern day safety requirements. There's a calculated risk in everything we do. There comes a point when you must draw the proverbial line.
What do you all think? Probably a good topic for the lounge?
Old 03-27-2002, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Personally, I think if your going to spend thousands on a motor, you should have the safety equipment to stay alive and enjoy it. Your setup may be sufficient, but the 4x4" plate with I-bolts would distribute the forces much more evenly. The forces generated by the weight of a human body going from as low as 30mph to 0 in fractions of a second are pretty amazing, and could do alot more damage to fiberglass than often thought. I am not trying to be negative, but it is just my opinion.

Last edited by Ikestaa; 03-27-2002 at 07:14 PM..