SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2002, 11:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 351 oil filter?

Anyone running a 351 crate engine, with a short oil filter? If so do you have the manufacturer, and part number? Seems the filter that came on mine barely clears the frame, and I would like a little more clearance.
Thanks
GaryUnc
Old 04-03-2002, 12:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gary

Might want to consider going remote. This would allow you to mount it where space is not an issue and also gain the benefit of going to a much higher capacity filter. Easier to change and better filtration, go figure.

Gary
Old 04-03-2002, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

And they look good too!

Roscoe
Old 04-03-2002, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Fibercraft Bodies 427 S/C, 351W disguised as a 427.
Send a message via AIM to SuperHart
Not Ranked     

Gary, if my memory serves me correctly you might try a Fram FL-300 oil filter. It has the same mount as the standard FL1A but is approximately one inch shorter in height. If you are running an electric fuel pump Ford makes an adapter that rotates the filter towards the front of the engine rather than sticking out to the side. This adapter also has 1/2NPT female threads tapped to allow fitment of remote oil cooler lines as well as a bypass valve built in. This adapter will not fit if you are running a mechanical fuel pump

On my cobra I run a Mocal sandwich adapter with a built in oil thermostat along with a FL-300 filter. The adapter restricts oil flow to the oil cooler until the oil temp reaches 180*. Fortunately, I have no clearance problems at all and will return to using the FL1A filter at my next oil change.
Old 04-03-2002, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, Boss 351 w/ TKO 5 speed, 94 vette suspension
Not Ranked     

Gary, the oil filter you want is a Motorcraft FL-300. It is used on engines with clearence problems like the 75-78 V8 Mustang II and the 84-86 Mustang SVO. This is as much clearance as you can get for this aplication with out going to a remote system.
Tim
Old 04-03-2002, 05:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

Ditto on FL300, another brand part number is Fram PH43
Old 04-03-2002, 05:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gary & others;

If you want to use the 90 degree adapter as stated above,I have a Ford Motorsport's one new in the box for have price,seems when I ordered mine and asked a few questions about mounting and all they "forgot" to tell me it does not work with a standard mechanical fuel pump......Now I have a spare,or a rather expensive aluminum paper weight......

David
Old 04-03-2002, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

On my 351, the standard Ford (Fram) PH8 filter was too long. The '75 - '78 Mustang II filter was a PH16, about half the height of the standard size. In another cross reference, I found a PH 43 as an alternative to the PH 16, which was about 1" shorter than the PH8, and just fit. It also cross references to a small block MOPAR V8.

Wondering if the remote filter with plumbing and flow restrictions is worth the hassle.

Presently using the XG43 which is the extended filtration version of the PH 43. So far, so good. If anyone finds something better, please let us know.
Old 04-04-2002, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Lightbulb Shorter Oil filter

If you are looking for some more clearence, try an AC PF-13. They will spin on in place of an FL-1A at about half the height.
Old 04-04-2002, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC, 351W
Not Ranked     

Unique recommends the Purolator PER-241. I used one on my 351W before I installed a remote filter and oil cooler. The PER-241 is very short. I can't imagine anything giving much more clearance.
Okiesnake
Old 04-05-2002, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks everybody for all the responses. As usual this forum is full of bright people and excellent ideas.
GaryUnc
PS. David, how much do you want for your adapter??
Old 04-05-2002, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Unhappy NEVER use Fram !!

They are well documented to starve your motor of oil at start up..!! An engine rebuilder was the first to tell me of this, concerning my new motor, but since then I have read numerious accounts verifying...use Mobil 1, or K & N...if they are too large, go with the remote filter setup. Never compromise on a filter!
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 04-06-2002, 05:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Hey Gary:
Going to a smaller filter will increase the pressure loss or the ability of the filter to do its job, or both. I would do whatever I could to use a full size filter. Also, every oil filter study I've ever seen is very dowm on the Fram filters. I would use a Mobil1 filter or an AC Delco.

Bob