Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shop Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/)
-   -   Goodyear Tires (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/16728-goodyear-tires.html)

hardiman 05-01-2002 06:54 PM

Goodyear Tires

Does anyone know where to buy the The Large "GOODYEAR" Solid White lettered tires? It looks like the letters are about 3" tall. Also concidering the yellow style NASCAR Goodyear tires.
Thanks
Dan

427Aggie 05-01-2002 09:45 PM

It depends Dan...If you mean the ones that Gary and I had on our cars in Austin you can only get them in racing form with no tread...sorry they don't make them without the Eagle on them anymore.

Matt

Ikestaa 05-01-2002 10:11 PM

Now wait a minute 427Aggie,
That's exactly what someone told me several months ago. I was very dissapointed, but I still decided to do some research. I talked to Roger Kraus, and Goodyear still makes the tires (Goodyear Blue Streak G7's) and they still sell them. I was going to get them from Kraus, but Shelby Ent. sells them as well for a few bucks cheaper, plus you can buy online from them. As a matter of fact I just ordered a set on Tuesday. They do not make them in the softer compound anymore, but they still do make them in two or three different harder, semi-treaded compounds.

I have attatched a website that has the picture of the vintage Goodyears. http://www.racegoodyear.com/products/vintage.html

ERA535 05-01-2002 10:34 PM

Dan,

Take a look at my gallery pictures - is this what you are talking about?

Pat

hardiman 05-02-2002 09:38 AM

tires

Pat That is the tire that I am looking for.

Thanks
Dan

hardiman 05-02-2002 09:52 AM

tires

Hi Matt Thanks for responding to my post. I remember your tires and from the Austin meet. That is the set that I was looking for.
Were you able to find them in the Dallas area? I did not look at the tread on yours, but are the slicks? If you don't mind me asking, what do they cost each?
Thanks for your help!

Dan H

SCOBRAC 05-04-2002 08:12 PM

I just looked at the sizes listed on the Goodyear link above http://www.racegoodyear.com/products/vintage.html none of the sizes listed are close to fitting 7.5 and 9.5" wheels.. The 8.0x15 for the front are close, 26.8" will work up front OK.. but in the rear you go from 23x10.5 to 27x14.. The 23x10 gets you a 22.8" overall diameter (think top speed) and the 27x14 gets you an 18.1" section width.. Can you get that much tire under your fender?? I couldn't. I know the Trigo's give you some space on the offset but enough for that? Plus, are you running fronts 4" larger overall???

My calculations give you a net loss of 5 mph at 5500 rpm with the 22.8" tire over a 26" (295/50) and 7 mph for a (305/50)...

What sizes are you guys running???

CSX 4027 05-04-2002 10:52 PM

Tires

Run the 6X15 - Front and 8 X 15 Rear. They will fit and look best.

427Aggie 05-05-2002 04:02 AM

I will get Gary to comment on the Tires....he has been talking directly with Goodyear on this....and I believe that those bluestreaks are racing tires with very little to no tread on them...the picture shows some but mine are like regular tires and have alot of tread (basically they are the rain tires :3DSMILE: so you are correct they still make them blue streaks but!!!! you don't want to be caught anywhere in the rain with them and on the street I get rocks like crazy you will get them so bad you can say goodbye to your paint.

Dan I think when I got the tires they were around $220 a piece and a bear to mount (my tire shop hated them) because you can't use and lube on the rear tires ...horsepower + grip + lube means tire spins on rim and thats a big problem...they mount alot of racing tires and have had people return to them PO'd because they step on the gas and burn rim :)

I do know that there is a set that shelby sells but I believe they say eagle and if I am correct they are a taller tire and if you go lock to lock will rub the inside of the fender.

Matt

Gary Morris 05-07-2002 08:45 AM

Goodyear Tires

Dan....the tires you are looking for are not available anymore. Yes Goodyear Blue Streak G7's are available which are nothing more than slicks with a few grooves in them. The ones Matt and I are running as well as a few others are Goodyear G-10 Trans Am Rain tires which have the full tread and all but are not DOT legal as the G7's are not either. If you look on Roger Kraus race site you will see that these have been discontinued. The Goodyear "Eagle" tires are available which look like mine and Matts except for the "EAGLE" lettering. Only bad thing is that the sizes are somewhat different. Ours..27x10x15 rear and 25x8x 15 front. Eagles are 26.5x10x15 rear and 26.5x8x15 front....front tire being 1.5 inches taller. I have taken this quest all the way to Goodyear Racing but there is just not that much demand for what we want.....for anyone looking for NOS tires that might still be around good luck as I have not been very lucky myself and if anyone locates any please keep me in mind. Dan I do have pictures as well as part numbers for what is available if you want to send me an e-mail. Hope this helps

Gary:D

ERA535 05-07-2002 03:28 PM

Hardiman - you said that I have the tire you are looking for.

Do you want any more information?

JoeLafives 05-07-2002 04:06 PM

I do!

ERA535 05-07-2002 04:36 PM

Joe!

The fronts are 26.5X8.5X15 and the rears are 26.5X10X15. They do have a full tread and it is deep.

The fronts will rub on full lock - If I need to turn that tight I just use the throttle.:3DSMILE:

They fill the wheel wells beautifully in my humble opinion - in fact the tires are what most car guys comment on when they see the car.

I got them from Carroll Shelby Goodyear in LA and they were $198 for the front and $202 for the rears.

So far I have a little over 8300 miles on them and they still have decent tread. I would do them again.

These are the same tread pattern that sprint cars use on their fronts - the sprinter tires are MUCH softer though and they only cost about $125 each for the fronts. (?)

Pat

STG 05-07-2002 05:31 PM

ARE YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT THESE TIRES?

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a shot of ERA535 at Shelby American, Inc. this past Saturday. I really love the look of those Goodyears. Because the lettering is SO SMALL, Pat has a black Goodyear decal below the trunk lid, too!

Pat:

Message me with your address so I can mail you some 8 X 10s of last Saturday.

(The colors tend to wash out when the photo is reduced to web-size, but the print is great!)

SCOBRAC 05-07-2002 08:53 PM

Goodyear Guys..

Your tires are not listed for sale on the goodyear site.. I am NOT running.... "Run the 6X15 - Front and 8 X 15 Rear. They will fit and look best." Thanks anyway Steve.. I have a hard enough time keeping the 305's hooked up..

It looks like an end of an era, er.. ERA for the tires on the ERA.. (little contemporary humor)

Regards,

Gary Morris 05-08-2002 07:02 AM

a picture is worth a 1000 words. Thanks for the picture STG. ERA535 is running the tires that ARE available and what I was talking about. Basically look the same as mine and Matt's except for the "EAGLE" lettering and the front tire being 1.5" taller than the G-10's we are running. They are available from Carroll Shelby Enterprises, Roger Krause or just about any Goodyear race tire distributor. When my G-10's wear out I'll probably make the switch.

Gary:D

sshurts 05-08-2002 07:43 AM

These are great tires and I'd like to figure out the exact model number. I visited the CS enterprise site and wasn't completely sure what the model number for these tires are. Could someone confirm which ones they are ?

thanks

Scott

ERA535 05-08-2002 07:54 AM

Call Shelby's Goodyear store in Los Angeles - they will help you.

When I called and got these tires all I asked for was this " I want some tires for my Cobra and I want them to have tread and I want the Billboard lettering and I don't want them to wear out in 500 miles."

They came up with the ones I have and they said that a lot of the Cobras around LA were using them.

Pat

JoeLafives 05-08-2002 09:02 AM

Thanks for the information. Very useful!!

SCOBRAC 05-08-2002 02:05 PM

Hmm.. they still are not anywhere on goodyears website, get them while you can from back stock..

BF Goodrich no longer makes the 259/50 15 euro T/A either...