SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2002, 09:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     
Default 15" vs 17"

I am trying to decide between 15" wheels or 17" wheels and I am having trouble so I come to you...
I have seen awsome results from James Baldwin's ERA http://www.baldwinology.com/
He has P&S 17's that look great and I am favoring
them.
But I know that 15" are original but the 17" are a better tire and I think that they look better, a much wider tire... 335-35-17!!!
I dont like the 17" that does not fill the wheel well but this tire looks great!
I am curious what the people think!
PS my ERA is coming in a few weeks!
Mike
Old 05-06-2002, 02:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     
Default 17" wheels

After driving lots of cobras with both 15" and 17" wheels, there is no comparison at all. The 17" wheel/tire setup performs so much better, all other aspects are secondary. Except looks and of course you can buy 17" tires with a good speed rating, unlike 15" tires. It's just that much more fun in corners, I sometimes take a cloverleaf offramp form the freeway, just to get back on a cloverleaf onramp. I love banked corners. However, I don't care for the "natural" center on PS wheels, you ought to polish or paint dark grey the centers. Make sure you get the right offset and tire size, it's no fun when the tires rub.
Old 05-06-2002, 03:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

I'm going with 17" to clear the front brakes. The 13" rotors I am using are too big to fit inside a 15" rim. I went with the big rotors because as with engine size, you can't have too much (braking) power!

I considered 16" wheels as a compromise but was not able to find tires in the correct sizes and speed ratings.

The current selection of 17" tire sizes, street/track variations and speed ratings is nearly unlimited.

If you must have the correct original appearance, use 15" wheels. For safety, most "gentleman's" racing and wide (pun) choice of rubber, go with the 17".

My 2 cents,

Tom
Old 05-06-2002, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up I am going with 17" because...

I wanted Z rated (186 mph) low profile Michelins, and the 17" was the minimum that would give me the proper look, and not affect gearing, vs the standard 15" and standard radial heights...

In other words, they come out about the same height/ & speed wise, but I get low profile high speed tires that perform well
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm

Last edited by Back in Black; 05-06-2002 at 03:36 PM..
Old 05-06-2002, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Faced the same dilemma. The only things the 15's get you today is more original looks, and a little softer ride. But then, there was no such thing as original 351W's, 351C's, or 460's either.

Today, you can find 17" Halibrand look alikes at decent prices, and tires from mild to wild.

For the street, 17's are the way to go. You absolutely will not believe the difference in the way the car behaves on wet and dry roads, acceleration, cornering, and braking.

Something else to consider. A 17" tire isn't larger in diameter than it's equivalent 15". A 235/60R15 and 235/45R17 are the same outside diameter; 25 1/2". A 17" has no sidewall bulge like a 15" does. If your 15 rubbed just a tad, your 17 probably won't.

Look and see what todays performance street iron coming from the factory is running.

Last edited by Jack21; 05-06-2002 at 03:58 PM..
Old 05-06-2002, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I bought PS 17", had them powder coated to match my car, and am running Z rated tires....They look great, and even give the car a meaner look. I would go this way again in a heartbeat (no Chevy pun intended)
BigMike
Old 05-06-2002, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Cool Mine are Billet Specialties *Rebels*

You can see them here:
http://www.billetspecialties.com/wheels.lasso
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 05-06-2002, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

"Originality vs Practicality"

15-inch vs 17-inch
Big Block vs Small Block
Toploader vs Tremec
4-speed vs 5-speed
Independent rear vs Solid rear
Tubular Frame vs Rectangular Frame
Smith's vs Autometer
7 mpg vs 17 mpg
and so on, and so on, and so on, ...............................

So, which is more important to YOU? That is the bottom line.

Whatever you choose, congrats and best of luck with the new ride.

Regards,

John

P.S. MOST owners spend VERY little time above 100 mph on the street so speed ratings are a non-issue.
Old 05-07-2002, 10:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Looks like I opted on the practicality side all the way down didn't I. But, I wanted a daily driver, not a trailer queen, so that's what I built. Didn't like the gears in the Tremec and used the T5Z instead.

Agree on the Z rating being meaningless as a matter of practicality, but the tire compounding and short sidewall is what makes the difference. Put a set of 15" T/A's or Dunlops on a Cobra. On a dry road you have a smoke machine. On a wet road you have a hockey puck. Swap for the 17's and the car just goes, stops, and corners. No smoke, no squealing. On a wet road, the tires hardly know the difference. If you believed you dared not drive this car in the rain, this will change.
Old 05-07-2002, 11:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking How can a guy with a handle like GUMBALL not care about high speed tires!!?

I want them just in case I wanna go fast. In Montana and some other western states you can do this, although usually illegally.

Gumball, you fergot one option:....the 6 speed !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 05-08-2002, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

I really actually like my 15inch Trigos's, with Goodyear GT II's on them. The tires are cheap, last a long time, just replaced the fronts which were still useable, at 40K miles, on the third set of rear tires, because i run my car hard. I dont' suppose the quality of the "ride" is important in these sorts of cars, but mine is very comfortable, even with a 1150 mile run without turning it off. I have heard the 17's are appreciably stiffer. I like the deep tread of the GT II's, and living in SC, drive in rain all the time. I am careful because of my engine torque, but i never have a problem with a feeling of hydroplaning. Besides, for me, one of my main enjoyments of my SPF is it's original look. I realize most folks would not notice the difference in tire/wheels, as they only vaguely recall the car anyway. But when i am sitting at a cafe, and some gent takes his wife over to my nearby car, and explains to her "these are very rare, historic cars, and we are not likely to ever see another one again" it makes my heart warm. The GT II's are speed rated for a sustained 118 mph, and are safe for brief runs well above that, because the car is so light, that the tires with proper pressure don't flex much, and don't get too hot. I have run as fast as 12.0 seconds in the quarter mile on them, too.

I have recently acquired another set of Trigo's upon which i have mounted 15inch Hoosier race tires, because my son wants to someday run the long course at VIR, where we will be on the south course in several weeks.

One consideration is your diff ratio, with the 17's you probably need to go down somewhat to a 3.55 or lower because of the much smaller rolling radius of the 17's compared to the 15's, i am running 3.73's which are perfect for my combination.

I have all the performance i can safely use for the street, as i save my hard running for my occasional race track driving. To me, it is largely a matter of original looks, tire cost, and ride.

I myself am a Vintage sort of guy, i guess.
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 05-08-2002, 04:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2479K, 351W yellow/black stripes
Not Ranked     

I have 17" on my car. I love the look, and as everyone has said, the performance of the tires is fantastic. I have Firestone Firehawk SZ EPs, 275/40 in the rear, and they are awesome. They stick well and look great. The ride is stiff, but hey, it's supposed to be. I hear the wet traction is good, but since I have no roof, it'll never see rain.

I also autocross my car. Although my tires stick really well, I must say that since my last car had Kuhmo Victoracers, and street tire (regardless of size), can't hold a candle. I wish there was a way I could have a set of those too.

Steve
Old 05-08-2002, 11:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

B in B,

Gumball? ......................... just a fan of the movie.

Yes, I forgot many options that would make the car more user friendly. The original cars were designed to race, that is all. It is the most impractical car that comes to mind. And THAT is the allure for me. My car doesn't even have a fuel level gauge for goodness sake!

Now, tell me more about the roads in Montana with no speed limits. It sure is hard to find anything like that around here in the Gay Area. The track is really the only safe place to have any fun above 100 mph, except for the occasional burst.

BTW........ When is your car due? I can tell by the furious pace of your post activity that you are chomping at the bit. Hope it arrives soon and is everything you hoped for. (that 6-speed sounds nice)

Regards,

John
Old 05-08-2002, 11:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SMC Motorcars 289
Send a message via Yahoo to renaissance man
Not Ranked     

17"...no doubt. You can see my car by clicking the link on the left.

Dave "Ren Man"