SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2002, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra #273, 427 S/O, ERA GT-40 #2057, Excalibur Cobra.
Not Ranked     
Question Cooling System Filter

HEY, GUYS,

SOME TIME AGO I HAD SEEN A POST SHOWING A COOLING SYSTEM IN-LINE FILTER. I TRIED A "SEARCH" AND COULDN'T FIND IT.

THE DEVICE I HAD SEEN WAS A CONICAL SHAPED FILTER (MAYBE BRONZE) INSIDE A CLEAR PLASTIC HOUSING. IT MOUNTED IN THE LINE FROM THE RADIATOR TO THE ENGINE.

I THINK I'M REALLY GOING TO NEED THIS FOR THE GT-40. THE NEW ALUMINUM RADIATOR CAME WITHOUT AIR BLEED VALVES OR DRAIN VALVE. I TOOK IT TO THE LOCAL RADIATOR SHOP TO HAVE THEM ADDED. SINCE THE SHOP DID NOT WELD ALUMINUM THEY SENT IT OUT TO A COMMERCIAL WELD SHOP. I PICKED IT UP TODAY AND THEY DID A VERY NICE JOB OF WELDING ON THE THREE THREADED BUNGS BUT IT'S VERY OBVIOUS THAT WHEN THEY DRILLED THE THREE HOLES THAT THEY TOOK NO PRECAUTIONS TO PREVENT THE CHIPS FROM THE DRILLING FROM ENTERING THE RADIATOR.

I'M GOING TO HAVE THE RADIATOR FLUSHED BUT MY CONCERN IS FOR THE DAVIES-CRAIG ELECTRIC WATER PUMP THAT I'M INSTALLING. IT HAS A "VERY" CLOSE TOLERANCE PLASTIC IMPELLER AND HOUSING. JUST ONE SMALL PIECE OF ALUMINUM MAY VERY WELL (ESPECIALLY WITH MY LUCK LATELY) JAM THE IMPELLER AND ON THE ROAD I'M REALLY SCREWED AGAIN.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFO ON COOLING SYSTEM FILTERS "PLEASE" PASS IT ON.

THANKS, AND HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY,

BLACKJACK

PS: I'M "REALLY" GETTING TIRED OF THIS CRAP - REGARDLESS OF PRICE I JUST CAN'T SEEM TO GET ANYTHING DONE RIGHT. I'M ABOUT ONE MORE "SCREW-UP" AWAY FROM SELLING ALL OF THIS DAMN JUNK AND BUYING A DIVE BOAT.

Last edited by BLACKJACK; 05-06-2002 at 08:07 PM..
Old 05-06-2002, 11:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Home built, supercharged 544cu/in automatic
Not Ranked     

Blackjack- Keep the faith up man! Anyone that can wip on a rattler has got my vote. Anyway, some observations. Now these are based on several Panteras that I have owned. ( not a GT/40 )
The problems are about the same though.
First thing I would do is loose the electric water (Davies-Craig) pump at least at the start up and break in of you engine/project. Run a high pressure as apposed to high volume/flowrate stock type aluminum pump.(see the reasons later) If you just have to, you can put a electric drive on that pump later as they are cheap and available from Summett , Jegs or speed shops. Moroso comes to my mind but there are others. That will whip your soft impeller problem.
Next I would use ANY coolant filter you would run in a bypass loop around the main cooling system. That's where the stock type pump comes in to play as you can use the heater taps on the stock type pump to filter your coolant . As a side thing this is also where I would use coolant in/out of a intercooler of a supercharger WHEN you get that far. The Davies - Craig piece is a very high quality unit but it just plain does not have the capacity for a innercooler or bypass filter setup either. No electric driven pump does to my knowledge to include the Moroso drive unit on a stock type pump. As for the filter itself. I don't know. Let me in on it if ya find one that is spicific to antifreeze/coolant. I'll be watching this thread.
BTW-This is really a case where the high tech stuff works against you when the standard stuff is really the right thing to do. Go with the high tech stuff later if you must, but get the bugs out of what you are doing first. As for overheating on my Panteras I had to slow down the water pump speed (bigger pulleys) to keep from INDUCTING air into the coolant system that made them run hot. That finally whipped that problem, but it drove me crazy back then years ago. It's also amazing how much air can get into your system from a tenny tiny leak when the car is off and cooling down. Seemed they always drew air in, and they never leaked out. Check with some of the Pantera sites and look up overheating as there is lots of stuff there. Getting the air out is only half the problem. Keeping the air out of those plumbing nightmares is the other half. That's when the normal stuff comes to play, fans, shrouding, fittings, hoses and so on.
That's what I'd bet you are fighting now. Bet you're feel better now don't you? Y'all have a good day now.
Cobrashoch

Last edited by cobrashoch; 05-06-2002 at 11:32 PM..
Old 05-06-2002, 11:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Unhappy Blackjack, it's everywhere

It's really hard to get anything done right anywhere today. People, (in general) seem to have lost the desire and or reasons to excell. The reasons are several, and I won't preach them here, but you would have the same problem with your boat.
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 05-06-2002, 11:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Home built, supercharged 544cu/in automatic
Not Ranked     

I forgot to mention, in case you didn't figger it out. If you use the stuff I mentioned above you won't need that damn filter.
Cobrashoch

Last edited by cobrashoch; 05-06-2002 at 11:43 PM..
Old 05-07-2002, 04:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Here ia a site that lists different makers of inline coolant filters.
I know the "tefba" filter works well as i have seen it used on alot of vehicles and farm machinery.
go here http://www.jag-lovers.org/xj-s/book/CoolantFilters.html
just ignore the fact it is from a jaguar place

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 05-07-2002, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up MANY THANKS

HEY, GUYS,

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE RESPNSE.

COBRASHOCH - - THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT TECHNICAL INFO. REALLY GOOD STUFF. MY REASON FOR NEEDING A FILTER IS THE DEBRIS THAT HAS OBVIOUSLY GOTTEN INTO THE RADIATOR FROM DRILLING THE HOLES. IT'S GOING TO WORK IT'S WAY OUT AT SOME POINT AND WHEN IT DOES IT'S GOING TO JAM THE ELECTIC WATER PUMP. I DON'T THINK THAT FORGOING THE FILTER IS AN OPTION AT THIS POINT. I'M TRYING TO GET IT RUNNING SO THAT I CAN CONTINUE THE TROUBLE SHOOTING.

B-IN-B - - - YEP, I SUPPOSE YOUR RIGHT. THE BOAT WOULD BE JUST AS BIG OR BIGGER HEADACHE. IT'S JUST SO DARN FRUSTRATING. I NEED TO GET THESE CARS RUNNING SO I CAN GET THEM INTO THE PAINT SHOP AND GET THE INSURANCE COMPANY SQUARED AWAY. THE COUNTY IS BANGING ON ME TO GET THE HOUSE TORN DOWN AND I WANT TO GET THE CARS RUNNING AND REPAIRED AND PAINTED SO THAT I CAN STORE THEM "SOMEWHERE"?? AND GET RE-BUILDING THE HOUSE. THANKS FOR THE GOOD THOUGHTS. I APOLOGIZE FOR LETTING IT ALL TURN ME INTO A "GROUCH". I REALLY HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS.

BOXHEAD - - - THANKS A LOT FOR THE LINK. THAT'S REALLY SOME GREAT INFORMATION. GANO WAS THE COMPANY THAT I HAD SEEN BEFORE. BUT SOME OF THE OTHER OPTIONS ARE INTERESTING AS WELL.

THANKS AGAIN, GUYS,

Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY,

BLACKJACK (SMILING AGAIN)
Old 05-08-2002, 01:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     
Default Radiator Coolant Filter

Jack: Here is a source for what you speak of. Great item, good quality. http://www.catsradiator.com/gano.htm

Hope thing turn for you.....best of luck.

Rick..........
Old 05-09-2002, 12:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

another source listed in the Shelby American; Gano Filter Co.; 1205 Sandalwood Lane, Los Altos CA 94024. Phone 415 968 7017.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

THANKS VERY MUCH, GUYS.

I ORDERED TWO OF THE GANO FILTERS. I'M GOING TO INSTALL ONE IN THE TYPICAL FASHION TO PROTECT THE RADIATOR FROM DEBRIS AND THE SECOND JUST AHEAD OF THE ELECTRIC WATER PUMP TO PROTECT THE PUMP FROM ANY SHAVINGS THAT MIGHT HAVE GOTTEN INTO THE RADIATOR WHEN IT WAS DRILLED. HEY, $30.00 IS DARN CHEAP INSURANCE.

THERE'S STILL AN OUTSIDE CHANCE THAT IT MIGHT BE READY FOR CARLISLE.

THANKS AGAIN, AND Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY,

BLACKJACK