SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2002, 07:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default which tranny?

Trying to decide wich tranny to go with. 351w stroked to 393, about 425ft/lbs. I have been considering the tremec TKO. Any other sugestions? Is anyone using the T-56? Help?

Draco
Old 05-08-2002, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 460
Not Ranked     

I like the TKO. I have 3.55 gears, and can cruise on the highway with the engine at around 2000 RPM (or a little more). I have also heard that the Richmond transmissions are good, but there might be problems with the linkage depending on the car. I have not heard anything about the T-56. I know that there are people running the Tremec 3550 with powerfull engines, but I think that it needs to be beefed up to handle it.

Brandon
Old 05-08-2002, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Brandon,

"Clowns to the left of me,
Jokers to the right..." Stuck in the middle with you!

Ironic...sounds like a tranny!

Thanks
Maybe the Avalanche and Sens will meet for the Stanley Cup

Draco
Old 05-09-2002, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     
Default Tremecs

We have been running tremecs in most of our cobras for years. They are not the strongest tranny, but I am yet to see gear failure even with 460's making over 640 pounds of torque. They don't like to be speeed shifted in stroker big blocks very much. But the linkage is all internal so it won't rub on the tranny tunnel like some toploaders and richmonds. And the price is right ; about $1200.
Old 05-09-2002, 03:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb Current production Richmond Over Drive 6 speeds.....

Have the supposedly excellent G-force linkage. This is the tranny already installed in my West Coast Cobra build up...it has the Centerforce 2 dual friction system and hydraulic throwout bearing system too...supposed to be excellent. will know soon
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 05-09-2002, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     
Default throwout bearings

I highly recommmend that if at all possible, use a clutch disengagement system other than a hydraulic TO bearing. It will leak sooner or later. It is a big pain in the rear to remove when it's time to change the O-rings, because you must pull the input shaft all the way out of the clutch setup to get it out of there. McLeod makes excellent flywheels, friction materials, and pressure plates, but the hydraulic TO setup gets leaky banjo fittings in no time. A ball stud, factory ford style fork and an external hydraulic slave cylinder is my favorite. Easy to service, cheaper, better feel.
Old 05-10-2002, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Mr Fixit

I'm glad your mentioned the TO bearing, good food for thought that will save a few choice words down the road.
Old 05-10-2002, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter #28; 396 Cleveland stroker; more than 495 HP; TKO 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Default trannie

Draco:

I went through the same decision about four months ago.
Try answering the following questions, I think the correct answer for you will surface.
1. DO you need/want to be "correct"- then only a toploader will do. very strong trannie. Con- at 70 mph you be turning 3000+ rpm's, noisey, poor milage.
2. Do you want to do freeway cruising and take longer trips. Then a 5 speed with OD a major plus.
3. Richmond- expensive and not real smooth/fast shifting. Several manufactures specifically steered me away from them.
4 TKO plenty strong enough. Remember- even with a 600 ft-lb motor, you can't deliver that tq through the tires-you spin them before reaching damaging torque levels. Pro -cheap, fast shifting, deep OD, with low rpm hiway cruising even with performance rear end ratio. Comes with shift mechansim. SFP likes them. Con. 1st too low.

Hope this helps
gn
Old 05-10-2002, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 460
Not Ranked     

Draco,

I didn't think of the trans. connection.
Hopefully the Aves will hold it together to make it that far. The Avalanch/Senators series will be good if it happens.

Back to the issue. I have noticed that 1st is low in my TKO, like Niles said, but it hasn't bothered me much yet. I wanted to go with the Richmond but Midstates' trans tunnel won't fit the linkage without modifications. There is also a TKO II, which has a lower 5th gear, which might allow higher rear end gears to make 1st work better. I haven't ridden in a car with one of these, but in theory...

Bran

Brandon
Old 05-10-2002, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Don't write off a properly set up T5Z for a stroker street SB. Had mine set up/blueprinted by Liberty Transmissions. 1st geat is just right 2.95, 5th changed from .68 to .80. With 3.55's, 2500 RPM=75MPH. Aftermarket cable clutch linkage (BBK) works perfectly, and doesn't have any oil in it to leak.

Again, with a light car like a Cobra on street tires, you usually spin the tires before overtorquing the trans. If you beat on it a lot, you'll eventually break it.