SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2002, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra #273, 427 S/O, ERA GT-40 #2057, Excalibur Cobra.
Not Ranked     
Question Camcorders

HI GUYS,

MY ATTORNEY HAS INSTRUCTED ME TO BUY A CAMCORDER TO DOCUMENT THE DESTRUCTION AT MY HOUSE. (MY CAMCORDERS - SEVERAL YEARS OLD - WENT UP IN SMOKE).

AS LONG AS I'M MAKING THE INVESTMENT I'D LIKE TO GET ONE THAT IS APPRORIATE FOR MOUNTING IN/ON THE COBRAS AND GT-40 TO FILM TRACK DAYS AND OTHER EVENTS.

ANY ADVICE AS TO MANUFACTURER, MODEL, SPECIFIC FEATURES, RUGGEDNESS, LENSES, AS WELL AS CAVEATS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

INFO ON MOUNTS AND MOUNTING SYSTEMS WOULD ALSO BE VERY HELPFUL AT THIS TIME.

WOULD IT BE BETTER TO MOUNT THE CAMCORDER OR TO MOUNT A REMOTE CAMERA AND INTERFACE IT WITH A SHOCK MOUNTED RECORDER???

I'D LIKE TO BE ABLE TO USE IT EFFECTIVELY FOR OTHER PURPOSES AS WELL AS IN THE CARS.

THANKS, AND, Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY,

BLACKJACK
Old 05-08-2002, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JCF 427 - FE 427 SO
Send a message via ICQ to M & M
Not Ranked     
Post Camcorder

Blackjack,

This is not really a direct response to your specific questions.

But, I assume you are going to buy a digital camcorder? If not IMHO you need to. The quality of the pictures is amazing and I am comparing this to my old 8mm and that has a good picture. This great thing about the digitals is the ability to download and edit the footage on the computer. I then reload back to the digital, and then onto VHS for archive. Everyone has VHS and you can show your footage to whomever! It's fun!

By the way I have a JVC digital with 2.5" view screen. Works well!

Good Luck,
Mike
Old 05-08-2002, 03:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     
Default Two part opinion, well, almost an answer...

Part one: I got an ioracing bracket. Here's the thread:

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/show...threadid=13425

Two caveats: I don't know if they have any left. Also, I've never tried it! The car isn't here yet. Other than that, it looks well-made and should work fine. It is intended to bolt to the roll bar.

Part two: is a bit more complex. I'd guess Jim Colman'd be a good consultant if you can catch him. I have a Sony digital camcorder that I use for several different purposes such as documenting the Cobra build, and underwater video.

Digital is really the only way to go.

Some relevant questions: how good do you want the finished product to be? Budget? Size?

As an example, my camera is a three-chip "prosumer" model from Sony, and can be used to provide footage of broadcast quality. Current Sony models along these lines are the TRV900 (smallest of the Sony three-chip units, and presently being replaced by the TRV950), and the VX2000/PD150 twins.

Sony also has some itsy-bitsy (technical term) digital video cams that have one chip (not as good result as the three chip, but plenty good for most applications and some even take better still photos than the higher end models) and can nearly be put into a shirt pocket. These start around $1500 or less, where the higher end models above are aound $2K - $4K depending on which one you pick.

So as usual it comes down to "what do you prefer?" Hope this enlightens more than confuses.

Questions?

Tom
Old 05-08-2002, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb Here ya go...!

I/O racing on line catalog, specifically the brackets page:

http://www.ioportracing.com/video.htm

Hope that helps, I will be in the market for one soon also
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 05-08-2002, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

THANKS, GUYS - -

I FORGOT TO ASK BEFORE ABOUT "LOW LIGHT" CAPABILITIES. ALTERNATIVELY - PORTABLE, BATTERY OPERATED, LIGHT SYSTEMS. MOSTLY NEEDED FOR DOCUMENTING THE REMAINS OF MY HOUSE (REALLY DARK IN THERE) FOR THE LAWYERS.

THANKS MUCH AND Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY,

BLACKJACK
Old 05-08-2002, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Blackjack,
Tom Well's advice is right on. One of the smaller cameras that uses Mini-DV (Digital Video) tape will give you terrific footage. Personally, I like a camera that doesn't have a whole lot of automatic features...because I turn them off anyway, but that's just me. You might look for a camera, like the Sony DXL1000 that features an image stabilizing system that helps smooth out camera shake and vibration. I used this camera several years ago to film the in car scenes in "Bitten by the Snake".

There are plenty of cameras on the market nowdays to choose from. Find the one that feels comfortable to you and doesn't have a whole lot of features that you probably won't use anyway.

As for low light... most cameras today can deliver acceptable images in fairly low light, however if you're looking to film the remains of your house and it's a one time thing, then you can rent portable lights from video rental or production companies that run off of battries. This will save you a bunch of money and the lights will usually be better than what you could buy at Circuit city.

Cheers
Jim

Last edited by Jim Colman; 05-08-2002 at 05:50 PM..
Old 05-08-2002, 06:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Jack,

Good stuff from Jim. Especially about renting lights.

As to your specific question about low light performance, the VX2000/PD150 are the best. Very noticeably. That's why I use it underwater - 'cause you can't bring enough light with you there unless you are Spielberg. Kinda like you can't have too much engine

Alas, the VX2000 is also the biggest camera of the lot. It's still only about 3 lbs. Some of the new smaller ones are about a pound.

If you can rent lights just for that one job, you'd be better off with any of the cameras.

Tom
Old 05-08-2002, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

THANKS, AGAIN, GUYS.

YOU HAVE BEEN A GREAT HELP.

I SUPPOSE I CAN FIND A VIDEO PRODUCTION RENTAL PLACE IN THE YELLOW PAGES.

THANKS, AND, Y'ALL HAVE AREALLY GREAT DAY,

BLACKJACK
Old 05-08-2002, 10:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JCF 427 - FE 427 SO
Send a message via ICQ to M & M
Not Ranked     
Default My Opinion

Blackjack,

Just my feelings based on personal expirence with my camera. As I mentioned it is a JVC and I paid well under a grand for it.

Just buy a good halogen shop light at the harware store for under $50. I am assuming you still have access to some type of power at the house, and extension cords. This will give you plenty of light for the camera. Depending on your needs for quality, my camera has a built in light which works well in the house for parties, etc.

If you dont want to buy a camera. You are welcome to use my 8mm camera for as long as you need. I dont use it anymore, it's just sitting. I can mail it down to you and mail it back when your done.

Check out this site for prices on cameras. I bought mine through here and everything went fine. The only thing that pissed me off was they jipped me out of my "free scooter" Oh well, probably would have broke my leg riding the dam thing anyway!

http://store.yahoo.com/worldwidedirect/camcorders.html

Regards,
Mike

Last edited by M & M; 05-08-2002 at 10:18 PM..
Old 05-12-2002, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking

THANKS MIKE,

I FOUND A HALOGEN FLOOD LITE AT HOME DEPOT FOR $59.00.

THAT THING REALLY THROWS OUT SOME LUMENS.

I THINK THAT IF YOU STOOD INFRONT OF IT FOR A FEW SECONDS YOU WOULD'T HAVE ANY MORE KIDS.

THANKS TO ALL, AND, Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY,

BLACKJACK
Old 05-12-2002, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

FYI:
I have used both the ioportracing mount and a solid type mount. The one with the rubber damper (io)works very well with small cameras but can get a harmonic vibration with bigger cameras. The solid type will work but needs a good electronic stabilizer mode.
Also need a manual overide to set distance, autofocus will not work.
Digital is the way to go!
Old 05-13-2002, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ALRIGHT,

I'VE NARROWED THE SEARCH DOWN CONSIDERABLY - - THANKS TO ALL THE GREAT SUGGESTIONS FROM YOU GUYS.

I'M SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING THE SONY DCR-IP5.

IT RETAILS FOR $1399.99 BUT IS AVAILABLE ON THE INTERNET FOR $989.99.

IT APPEARS TO INCORPORATE THE FEATURES AND OPTIONS THAT ALL OF YOU HAVE SUGGESTED WITHOUT HAVING A LOT OF FEATURES THAT I WOULD NEVER USE.

I WILL "POKE AROUND" IN A FEW MORE DARK CORNERS TODAY AND WILL PROBABLY ORDER IT TODAY OR TOMORROW.

I HAVE ORDERED THE CAMERA MOUNT FROM I/O PORT.

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR ALL THE HELP AND SUGGESTIONS. YOU GUYS ARE THE GREATEST !!

Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY,

BLACKJACK