SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2002, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hank Williams is the original owner of his car, and I believe that it was factory equiped with Torqe Thrusts. maybe Cal or Snakeeyes Bob can help us out. Maybe check the SAAC registry too.
Old 05-26-2002, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA 351 W
Not Ranked     

From the looks of those spokes, I would be surprised if they were Americans-- they appear to be Halibrand. --And spline drive as well. I wonder if there is anyone still at Halibrand with the institutional memory or the files to be able to comment.
Old 05-26-2002, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

David Friedman's book (Shelby archieves) P. 1-2 dragonsnake with the same wheels but those appear to have pin drives or is it one of them bolting-on splinned insert adaptor??

I think Jim Maxwell's car are pure spline arrangement??
Old 05-26-2002, 06:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb Jim's 289

CSX2401
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2002, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob - There looks like there might be enough "meat" in the wheel centre to make those pin drive, maybe even six pin? If these are torque thrusts then they might possibly be able to supply them unmachined.

In Friedmans Shelby Archives, there is also an FIA loading onto a trailer with these whells and they look great.

Andy
Old 05-26-2002, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 2401 street 289 Cobra and CSX 3288 Street "427" Cobra
Not Ranked     

Here's a 289 with original magnesium spline drive Torque Thrusts. They are great for street or track. Best seen by clicking "view full image" button to see the detail of the wheels.
I had to pursue this set for 6 years before I could get them away from the prior owner. I think they are 6 1/2" and 7 1/2".
I have put many track miles on these things. The only problem is the 2-earred knockoffs tend to tighten up alot and are tough to get off because they are so close to the spokes of the wheel, but a big lead hammer does the trick. Forget even the biggest rubber lead filled hammer-it won't work!

Last edited by Jim Maxwell; 05-26-2002 at 06:01 PM..
Old 05-26-2002, 06:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim,

Great pictures - great cars!

Did they have an internally splined steel insert in the wheels? If not, were the splines the standard Dunlop wire wheel spline?

Thanks,

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 05-27-2002, 05:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I measured the "standard" American Racing wheels...

There isn't enough "meat" to use the Trigo adapters. Machining for the hub base would leave too little material left for structural integrity.
The splined Dunlop adapters that we used might fit if the wheels can be purchased un-machined. Since they sell the wheels with custom offsets , that might be a possibility.
I think there's enough meat behind the spokes to drill for the Trigo drive nuts, so using the splines to drive the wheel wouldn't be necessary. The result could, potentially, be a wheel that looks just like the original, but with pin drives.

Now if I can just get someone to pay me to do all the final development work...

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 03-11-2005, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     
Default Spline Drive Magnesium Wheels

I came across this old thread. I thought I would post some pictures.

American Racing published this advertisement. I have only seen it in old magazines twice.

Apparently American Racing offered to versions of these wheels through Shelby American, Inc. as both styles were sold on new cars. Both styles were offered in ½” width increments between at least 15X6 and 15X8.5.

One was the “drag wheel” design and is so described in some old SAI parts lists. The “drag wheels” have “bolt through” style adapter mounting. Dragon Snakes used them. I have read of trouble with the “road race” version tearing up if used on drag racers. They say the bolts wallow out the magnesium on rear wheels.

Front side of Dragon Snake 15X6 front wheel.

Back side of Dragon Snake 15X6 front wheel.

The second version was the “road race” style with “bolt into spokes” adapters. Ken Miles is pictured racing (CSX2431 ???) at least once with this style wheel. (The adapters do not interfere with the standard “red” length drive pins. I have confirmed this myself on CSX2551.)

Front side of “road race” 15X8.5 wheel.

Back side of “road race” 15X8.5 wheel.

The adapters and bolts for both wheel styles appear to be exactly them same, only the “drag wheel” gets plated washers and acorn style lug nuts.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

I forgot to mention that the American Racing Equipment spline drive magnesium wheels are not exactly light weight. An all steel 15X6 70 spoke (center laced) Dunlop wheel for a Cobra weighs in at an average of 23 pounds. The 15X6 Dragon Snake wheel averages a little over 18 pounds I believe. The 15X6.5 six spoke Halibrand made pin drive wheels I weighed were around about 13-14 pounds if memory severes me.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford GT
Not Ranked     

A good friend of mine owns CSX2478. It has the magnesium torque thrust spline drive wheels you guys are referring to. Going to try and attach a pic. If it doesn't work, the pic is in my gallery.
David

Old 03-11-2005, 08:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Any more pics of 2478? Sweet looking ride.

Mike
Old 03-11-2005, 08:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford GT
Not Ranked     

Just a quick correction. I believe the car number is 2476 not 2478. I bet Ron will have a pic real quick of 2478
I'll see if I can find any more pics.
David

I found one more pic. It's also in my gallery here. Wish I had one of the engine, it's got the 289 w/ webers. Without question this is my favorite CSX. Mainly because my buddy let me drive it

David

Last edited by ItsOnlyMoney; 03-11-2005 at 09:13 PM..
Old 03-12-2005, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

One other interesting thing about the magnesium torque thrust wheels that I have notice (and can be seen in the photos that Dan Case has posted) is that some have an extra web in the spokes. Not sure why, maybe the web was added later? In the photos, the extra web is on the "bolt through" wheels, but I have one bolt through that doesn't have the web.

Rob