SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2002, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: none - yet (it will have a 351 though!)
Not Ranked     
Default Typical Installation cost of engine/tranny?

Hello - newbie here,

I'm currently in the 'research stage', and wanted to get a feel for the 'typical' labor charge for an engine/tranny installation. I don't have the 'tools, talent, or time' for the install, so my sacrifice will have to come from my wallet.

Use these assumptions in your estimate:

- Superformance Cobra
- Crate Engine (351W)
- Tremec 3550 5spd

Essentially, I'm trying to figure out what the bottom line would be to purchase a new Superformance Cobra, and I need a ballpark for the labor costs.

Thanks in advance your help.
HomePage
(sorry for the popups)
Old 05-29-2002, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter #28; 396 Cleveland stroker; more than 495 HP; TKO 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Default engine

Contact Bill Parham at southern engines.
He's both a SP dealer and a reputed cobra engine builder; look on his web site for ball park custom engine prices
gn
Old 05-30-2002, 04:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B w/FRPP 347ci 450HP Crate
Send a message via AIM to OhBuoy
Not Ranked     

I see that you are from Illinois. Have you checked out the Windy City Cobra club on this site? If not, take a peak, we are just getting a formal club together. Also, check out www.windycitycobras.com
Old 05-31-2002, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OhBuoy,

Yes, I saw www.windycitycobras.com. It was good to see a Chicagoland group started. Too bad I'll be out of the country during your 'Cool Cars Under the Stars' gettogether in June!
HomePage
(sorry for the popups)
Old 05-31-2002, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Deane:

I was pricing SPF at one point also.

SPF=$37K
Crate motor=price on Ford Motorsports page--(will vary depending on how much customization)
3550=$1500
Install=about $3000 for SPF, as you have most everything you need. I did get a price as low as $1500, done by one of the kids at the shop--your choice

Don't forget tax, title, registration, insurance. I priced a new SPF w/ 514 crate motor installed at roughly $53K

Bill
Old 05-31-2002, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Deane,

I just went with the exact combination that you outlined. In U.S. $ the total cost to supply and install the 385hp / 351 crate motor and the Tremec in my SPF was $11,200. plus taxes. ... Gary
Old 05-31-2002, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the feedback guys. This information is exactly what I needed - especially Gary's.

I'll also be contacting Dynamic Motorsports (Ohio SP dealer) soon to get some additional SP details. I believe they are the closest SP dealer, as I'm in Chicagoland.
HomePage
(sorry for the popups)
Old 05-31-2002, 11:17 AM
(An All-Around Nice Guy)
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars (sold)
Not Ranked     

Are you considering any other makes at the moment, or have your pretty much decided on SPF?

The reason I ask is this: If you buy an engine from Bill Parham at Southern Automotive and also buy a Cobra replica from Unique Motorcars, Bill will ship the engine & tranny to Unique FOR FREE and they'll install it into the chassis FOR FREE.

As you can see from my signature line below, this is the route that I have chosen. Bill is an SPF dealer, but I'm not sure how the whole dealer network thing works... you may have to purchase your SPF from your nearest dealer.

Keith

Last edited by excelguru; 05-31-2002 at 11:22 AM..
Old 05-31-2002, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Deane,

You might also want to consider what the US $ will buy in Canada these days. At the current exchange rate you can get a turnkey SPF with the power that you suggested for approx $47,700. . Might be worth a call to Allan at Macro Autosports in Concord, Ontario. He can be reached at allan@cobracar.ca . Just another option. You will enjoy whatever you decide to go with. Have a great day. ... Gary
Old 05-31-2002, 11:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

I may be wrong, but I believe that SPF has 'protected sales' territories , or whatever it may be called. Ie, if you live in Michigan, then the only Dealer would be DYNAMIC for the purchase of a NEW SPF. As such, the NEW Dealer is determined by where you reside. Used SPF sales are open and fair game from any dealer I am sure..and there are 'sub dealers' scattered around too I believe who also sell SPF's . For any SPF prospects, you should call and inquire. Its a great product and I have not heard anything negative about any SPF dealer in my meeting/chatting with SPFowners around the country. Bill Wells
Old 05-31-2002, 10:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dino, my name is Eric, and I own Performance Enginnering in Ross Ohio. I have done over 200 Superformance cars . Call me and I can give you a quote to the penny. (513) 738 -5001
Old 06-01-2002, 03:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Dino ~ Eric neglected to tell you one thing...........he is a very competent engine builder with great attention to detail. Whether you are looking for a big block or little block, mild or wild, this guy knows his sh!t!!!! Eric recently delivered my car and I couldn't be happier.

Brian
Old 06-03-2002, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Eric,

Performance Engineering doesn't happen to be the shop 'across the street' from Dynamic Motorsports, is it? Dean Rosen of Dynamic mentioned a shop to consider near them.

I'll likely be visiting Dynamic MS in July/August. Maybe I'll make a side trip to you shop also?

Thanks much,

Dean
HomePage
(sorry for the popups)
Old 06-03-2002, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dino, Yes my shop is the one Dean had talked about. Stop over and check it out. It will be a pleasure to meet you.