SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 07-06-2002, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 302 GT-40
Not Ranked     
Question Adjustable Coil-Over Shocks

This may be a dumb question but I'm gonna ask it anyway...
My Aldan Coil-Over Shocks have two adjustment options:
1. The screw on top of the shock
2. The collar at the threaded end of the shock

In my mind, the screw is used to adjust the stiffness of the ride while the collar is used to adjust the ride height. Is this correct?

If so, I assume that the lower the ride height (when you move the collar up towards the middle of the shock) the stiffer the ride has to be (turn the screw clockwise). Correct?

Any comments?

Thanks,

NoCupHolder
Old 07-06-2002, 01:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

nocupholder, when you screw the collar up (toward the top of the shock and toward the spring), it will raise the ride height (by preloading the spring and trying to extend the shock). It only changes the ride height, but not the spring rate.
The adjuster screws on the top of the shock give you more or less (stiffer or firmer) damping, to tailor the ride (or sheel) control to the way you want it. I have my Aldans set full firm, but it still isn't quite firm enough for me.
LOL
Old 07-06-2002, 10:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     
Default Shocks/Springs

The Aldon shocks can be returned to the factory and they will revalve them if you want different dampening that can't be obtained by the adjusting screw(s) on top and or bottom. Also screwing the threaded spring perch upwards will raise the ride height without changing the stiffness of the ride until the shock is fully extended then continuing to screw it up the shock body will stiffen the ride as static spring height continues to be reduced. Much like shiming the valve springs on a cylinder head.

Many different spring rates are available.
Rick
Old 05-19-2003, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question Re: Aldan adjustments?

Quote:
Originally posted by nocupholder

This may be a dumb question but I'm gonna ask it anyway...
My Aldan Coil-Over Shocks have two adjustment options:
1. The screw on top of the shock
2. The collar at the threaded end of the shock
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but my search of the forums turned this posting up and I am wondering the same thing. I have a set of these on a Lotus kit car and I would like to know about the damping adjustment myself- which way do you turn the knob for increased firmness? I can feel six little detent clicks when it turns, but I can't tell the difference in firmness by just bouncing that corner of the car.

I was also told that the compression damping is adjustable on my Aldan coilovers by turning a small, flush-mounted allen set-screw at the bottom of the shock, but again, I don't know which way to turn for which effect.

I understand the adjustment for ride height with the spring perch, at least...

Thanks in advance for any help,

TT
Tom Tweed
La Jolla, CA

Last edited by ttweed; 05-19-2003 at 01:29 PM..
Old 05-19-2003, 12:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom, lower number (scribed in the knurled knob) is softer, higher number is firmer...As mentioned in the thread, Aldan will rework the shocks if you need it firmer...they change to a fluid with a higher viscosity for firmer ride control.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, Ken. The knob is very small and I didn't notice any numbers on it, but I will look again when it gets back from the shop (getting aligned and corner-balanced today in preparation for its first autox this Sat.)

Is there a rebound adjustment on yours? I realize I may be using a different model shock than you Cobra guys, since my car weighs a total of 1350 lbs.

Edit- just got off the phone to Aldan and they say there is only one adjustment (for rebound only) if the shock has just one knob on the top. If there is a second adjustment for compression, it would be a second knob on the bottom. Mine has a set screw but no knob on the bottom, so I guess it is single-adjustable. The set screw may just be a filling port?

TT

Last edited by ttweed; 05-19-2003 at 01:36 PM..
Old 05-19-2003, 01:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom, I'll take a look tonight to see if I have plugs/set screws on the bottom, but I think you're right, the screw is likely for filling...mine are single adjustables with only a knob on top.