SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2002, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     
Default 2.88 jag rear

Anybody run a close ratio top loader
with a 2.88 jag rear, gimme the ups and downs.

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 08-09-2002, 04:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You better have an engine that is totally docile. First gear will be good for 70+ mph at 6000 rpm.

Which means that at a 1000 rpm creep, you'll be going 12 mph. Lots of clutch slipping at takeoff, and likely a few embarrassing bucks and stalls.

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 08-09-2002, 04:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Pat, Bob is right...I have a close ratio with a 3.31 rear and love it, but my big block has mucho torque and I still need to pay attention when taking off. I don't recommend anything lower than 3.31 w/a close ratio...
Old 08-09-2002, 04:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

Thanks Bob, what about a wide ratio top loader.

Old 08-09-2002, 04:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Hello pathenry,

Here's a good use for a 2.88: a 521/C6/low stall (2000-2200rpm) converter.

Plenty of torque and a good idle. It'll light'em now from a 5mph roll all the way up if you want to.

With a manual trans you'd need a pretty big, tame engine to have an easy time on the street. Bonneville would be pretty good though

Tom
Old 08-09-2002, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter 427, 5.0 (302)
Not Ranked     

I have a Hunter Cobra with a 85 vette rear end that came out of a automatic car. It came with 2.73 rear gears and it was a bear to launch with my 5.0 motor. With my SD T-5 trans(2.95 first gear ratio) it was good to about 55 in first. I rarely used 4th and the overdrive 5th was useless at anything under 80. I changed to 3.73 gears and what a differance. The car launched so hard with the new gears I found out I needed jet extenders in my carb. This never happened with the 2.73 gears.

I agree that with a manual trans you need gears over 3.00 and a 3.31 or 3.55 would be perfect with a big block.

To figure out the final gear ratio multiply your first gear ratio by the rear gear ratio. Here is an example:

my old setup 2.95(first gear) X 2.73(rear gear)=8.054 motor rpm to one wheel revolution

my new setup 2.95(first gear) X 3.73(rear gear)=11.004 motor rpm to one wheel revolution
Old 08-09-2002, 08:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Pat,

Our preference is to use a 3.31 dif with the wide-ratio Toploader. A 3.07 dif is about as low as I would combine with a 427SO and wide ratio trans.

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 08-09-2002, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC, 403 FE. Dual Quad
Not Ranked     
Default 2.88 Jag Rear

With respect to your question of using a wide ratio toploader and a 2.88 Jag rear, if you do the math this combination would give a 1st gear ratio of 8.01 to 1. In comparison a typical 3.31 rear with a close ratio toploader would yield a 7.68 to 1 ratio. The 2.88 rear would have numerically more "grunt" in 1st with an engine loafing direct drive in 4th. The only major drawback I can see would be losing the "kick in the ass" accelleration in your top gear. Personally I like the 3.31 with close ratio combination. Good streetability and performance - Aggressor
Old 08-12-2002, 04:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You know......It's really not bad, I built a torker motor that plays out at about 6000. No bucks or stalls and when it hits
about 1800 rpm, it's a rocket.