SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2002, 09:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX Cars
Not Ranked     
Default SPF Satisfaction

I recently purchased a previously owned SPF car. I would be interested to find out how happy the owners are with this brand. To make things easy lets use a rating of 1-10, ten being very happy. Obviously we are not including the motor tranny combo. Since I have not owned the car for more than two weeks I will stay on the side lines, however I would be at 7 due to the gas gauge and parking brake.
Old 08-28-2002, 10:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I give mine a 15. I love the car. Fit, finish, performance, support- all are excellent.
Old 08-28-2002, 11:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Allan,

To paraphrase Allen Lung "a 12!".

Parking brake is indeed a problem with SPF. Not sure of your gas gauge issue.

Brad
Old 08-29-2002, 03:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I own a new SPF which is not quite at the running stage yet. What's with the parking brake? Can you be more specific.

Jack Z.
Old 08-29-2002, 03:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

Allen A:

on a scale of 1-10 with 10 a hi...i rate mine at a 15 and it is an early car still providing joy. dealer / tech support/ parts availability is superb whether you are the first time buyer or a used buyer.

these cars aren't like your typical civilian driver , if the gas gauge and parking brake is an issue, find somene to work on them.

my gas gauge in my 57 bird and my 65 mustang are erratic too. these tanks have a strange shape and the needle can drop fast once it gets below the half mark. however , the float level can be adjusted too if need be. mine fluctuated at one time, and now mine reads high when full and is about 8 gals left at 1/2 and at 1/4 is 4 gallons which is correct for a 16 gal tank. however, when your city driving is spirited and gas mileage low you have to remember there is not too many miles before 1/4 can get to empty. some folks use their trip odo for their mental faith gauge and fill up at xyz miles despite what the gauge says. i NEVER let it go below 1/4 as my city driving is 9 mpg due to right foot-itis (highway at 18) and 36 miles at 1/4 full leaves too many variables to worry about running out : traffic jam, station closed or whatever.

parking brakes. some are more limited than others, however, they too can be adjusted. doubt too many of any brand will feel secure on a steep grade without a tire block when fearful that someone might kick the shift lever out of gear. i carry a tire chock in all my cars for those steep grade mental security needs. my parking brake has been adjusted and is adequate for 90% of my parking needs including warming up on my inclined driveway. not too many of these (if any) have parking brakes that work like a modern day car.

Allen A, as a new owner, get to know your car better and its nuances and then start adjusting for your variables or learn to live with them. to rate a magnificent car like these a 7 after less than 2 wks because of a gas gauge and parking brake concern is a pimple on the a$$ of progress. there will always be something that needs tweaking on any brand....want more security, buy a new Miata or something else with warranty and take it back when you are not happy. My recommendation, stick with what ya got, get it tweaked as need be and learn its idioscynchrisies as all brands have one or another of some type....it aint a perfect world with any car !!! enjoy the ride, you got a good one. bill
Old 08-29-2002, 04:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Allan ~ I would have to say 9 since I do not believe any car is perfect. Now, if you are talking about the fun factor.....then give mine a 10+.

On a slight grade my parking brake has worked fine. Not sure about my fuel gauge because I have not taken the time to really check it out. Although as Mr. Wells has stated, I too look for a gas station when I get close to a 1/4 tank. Only ran out of fuel once and that was during a test drive of a demo car at the dealership. Wasn't a problem though as we were just pulling back in to the dealership when she puked.

As with any low production number car, there are little problems here and there. Nothing major, just a little tweak here and a little tweak there.

Most if not all of these problems and their fixes are talked about on the scof forum (no, I am not a member). And the fact is, this is one of the reasons why you must take delivery of your car before you can join their group.

On a public forum such as this one, all of the manufacturers little problems and fixes to these problems are talked about in depth and any wannabe cobra owner has access to this information. I think you will notice as I did that there just isn't that much talk about SPF cars on this site at least compared to the other brands.

I remember asking several questions on this site before purchasing my car and received more private emails from SPF owners than actual posts to my thread.

Knowing what I know now about my car and if I had to do it all over, would I buy an SPF...........you betcha!!!!!

Brian
Old 08-29-2002, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I love my superformance in every way...15 isn't high enough...what a value...just go enjoy your new toy and congrats on your acquisition.
Old 08-29-2002, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

I have had my SPF for just about 1 year and have put 10,000. on the car.
I have never owned any other brand of replica, so I cannot make a comparison.
On it's own merits, the SPF is an absolutely superbly designed and executed automobile. I give it a 10+ in my book. Enjoy!
Steve Payne
spf1061
Richmond, VA
Old 08-29-2002, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 678
Send a message via AIM to cobrap51d Send a message via Yahoo to cobrap51d
Not Ranked     

Brad is correct. My satisfaction level is a 12. My goal is to some day build a cobra. I have looked at just about all of them. They all have assets in different areas. Now, if I was to compare an spf to something I built, it would have cost me at least the same I paid for my used spf and I would have ended up with something of a lesser quality.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Keith Craft built my monster 527 Shelby, Rob Camp @ KCM in Plano, TX installed, tested & tuned it and Dean Rosen @ Dynamic was magnificent in delivering my dream SPF #1857. Without these guys, I'd never have realized my dream.
Not Ranked     
Talking They ain't a Lexus!

Allan,

During my (lengthy) research on which replica to purchase, I received some sage advice from Bill Parham at Southern Automotive. He told me "They ain't a Lexus!" meaning, like ALL performance automobiles, they will require special attention. He wasn't referring to SPF specifically, but to all replicas in general. I've had issues with my car and I probably now appreciate it more because I have a deeper and more personal investment in it after a little wrenching. I'd strongly recommend joining SCOF... it is one of the "perks" of having a SPF. I'm confident your current rating of "7" can be massaged higher with some assistance.

As for my personal rating... I'll say 10 because according to your scale that means "very happy". Brian's "9" is correct because nothing is perfect.

However...10+ for fun and overall enjoyment.

Dave
Old 08-29-2002, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1249
Not Ranked     
Smile SPF Rating

Allan, first all congratulations. I was going to purchase SPF 303 and you got there before me. It was a sad day in my household. I am currently pursuing the purchase of a SPF and am convinced that it is the right car for me. I would rate the SPF a minimum of 10 Plus. As previously mentioned, every car has it's strong and weak points. It's a matter of whether you can live with it or without it. Even the original Cobra has attributes that would seem atrocious by todays automotive standards. You have to admit that whatever the shortcomings you see in minor details pale in comparison to the adrenalineyou get driving the car.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     

Allen,

I can understand the 7 out of 10 for many possible reasons. But to knock off 30% because of a parking brake and gas gage? I'd buy the car without either!
Just what were you expecting out the car?
To me ... a 427sc is all about excess. Its over the top roadster styling, its over the top power to weight/size. It is a freekin brute. And a well manored streetable brute to boost. Wow!
When I purchased the roller, I had full intentions of installing a 500hp 460. I EXPECTED it to overheat in traffic. In 14,000 miles It doesn't. It should! but it doesn't.
With that much power, I expected it to break often. It should. I thrash it badly. (real badly). It doesn't break. I've had some pieces I installed on the car break. But the roller as delivered from the factory has stood strong.
The quality of the roller is tops. Now what some people do to finish the roller isn't always too pretty. But SPF can't be graded on that.
The gas gage is an easy couple hour fix. The parking brakes are not too strong, but they are trouble free. Most SPF owners have spent a couple hours to beef up the parking brake. Not a big deal.
The way I see it. You could convert your grade 7 SPF to a grade 10 SPF in 4 hours. What are you waiting on?

not-as-*****y-as-I-type- Bob

ps... if a 10 is the best cobra made, I'd give mine a 10.
....if a 10 is the best cobra that could be dreamed of, i'd give mine a 9+.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX Cars
Not Ranked     

Take it easy guys, a seven in my book is pretty high and I just purchased the car. This does not include a fun factor of 10+.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427FE (sold & missed)
Not Ranked     

Bob ~ I couldn't agree more!! Although I do not have that many miles #1299 (700 to be exact) I fully expected mine to have over heated by now and it has not. I've been to a couple of cruise nights just idling in heavy traffic, I keep watching the gauges for a possible problem..........but no problem. The only thing that got a little hot was my feet.

The only problem that I had is (1) bad alternator and a cracked Canton oil pan. Needless to say, these 2 items cannot be attributed to anything that the dealer or engine installer did. Both items were replaced free of charge under warranty.....no questions asked.

As far as fit and finish on the SPF, it is second to none. Anybody who has seen the car can't get over how well constructed it is and how beautiful the paint is.

In fact, sometimes I'll find myself starring at the car in amazement too!!!!

Brian
Old 08-29-2002, 09:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     

Hello Alan,

I bought SPF #343 used and the car is superb. I bought it with 2200 miles on the odometer and it sits in the garage with 11,300 miles on the odometer, my gas gauge in non linear there are two gallons of gas in the tank when it is at 1/2 and the parking brake will not hold the car on a hill........live with it. The SPF is a 10+ , the dealer support, SCOF owners support and quality are difficult to reproduce.

I have built and sold an older Shell Valley and a Unique before and during the ownership of the SPF. A Cobra requires your adjusting to their personality and the reward is the raw performance you get in any gear, on any road or track, anywhere you want to take the car. The same stands for the original Cobras and their owners.

I have sold SPF #343 keeping my Unique and the process of building a FFR Daytona Coupe is underway. It was a very difficult decision to sell the SPF and the factors to keep the Unique have more to do with the sweat equity and personal pride/investment I have in my Unique Cobra.

I built a car that has the same dependability, fit and finish of the SPF and in some ways exceeds the SPF but, it was difficult, expensive and time consuming.

The best aspect of the Cobra is the friends and extended family you will gain through this forum and the people in your area that are Cobra owners. Cruising, meeting to work through details of performance and appearance enhancements, driving on ther track etc. etc. with the other guys and their significant others is the aspect that I never expected and has become the most important factor of owning a Cobra.

Tony R.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Put me in at 12++, these are amazingly stong cars, well engineered and put together. Everything has its little idiosyncracies, myself included, yeah, the parking brake could be better but all things considered and excluding the fun factor, it is still a 10 in my book
Chas #1177
Old 08-29-2002, 09:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C 428 cid 430 hp
Not Ranked     

I have a 67 427 Vette in addition to my Unique. The parking brake on it(Vette) doesn't hold well either. I believe it is due to having rear disc brakes instead of drums. How about ERA and Shelby ?. I wonder how theirs hold.

JC
Old 08-29-2002, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     
Default What other cars have you owned?

Allen,

I take it by the gas gage comment, you ran out of gas once? Look at the bottom of the gas tank. It slopes. When it reads 1/4 full, you have 1/4 of mile before you run out of gas.

Watch your milage after each fill up, and you will get the nack of it. I tank up at 1/2 full. (or 1/2 empty sometimes)

Any Cobra is like a English Sports car really. (ever own one?) you tweek this, you fix that. It's part of the hobby. To me, you can buy a Viper down the street, and take it to Dodge to fix it at 85 bucks an hour, with a different clown driving it to McDonalds everytime you drop it off for an oil change.

Not me, I lay out towels, get my tool box rolled over, and really have fun!

My SPF? a 12 ! I rode in every Cobra I could before buying the first SPF I owned. When I had to buy another Cobra, there was no choice...... Super dealers, Super owners, Super product, Super support.......................SUPERFORMANCE!!!!

Eric
Old 08-29-2002, 12:31 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I purchased my previously owned SPF in February. I have had problems with the altenator & wiring, main ground wire, stripped bolts on engine, bad fuel line routing, a missing advance spring in the distributor & fuel pump (now replaced with Holley mechanical). In my opinion, most of my problems were the result of poor workmanship by the engine/trans installer. I'm still working to make the car more driveable - considering a manifold and carb change. The parking brake is a issue, I've worked on it and feel I have got it as good as it can get. I would not trust it on a hill, but it does function. By the way, I really enjoy working these problems out, but my wife has questioned this purchase as the car has been towed home (on a flatbed) once, limped home three times and so far we have not been able to take the weekend trips as we did in our 2000 Vette conv.
You're looking for a rating of the car not considering the engine/trans. Hang on. I have to give it 10. I love this car. Congratulations on your purchase, you are part of a very fortunate group.
Enjoy!
Old 08-29-2002, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

i have always thought that i was so extraordinarily to have a race car that i drive every day. My SPF has been dead reliable, with countless 1/4 mile runs, many hundreds of race course laps, and now over 45,000 miles. I have learned much from leaning over my engine compartment, or squinting up under the car. My car has never overheated, never failed to start at a touch of the tiny key, given good MPG, nor failed to allow me to merge in front of whatever car is bearing down on my on the Interstate. I, however, have been soaking wet, frozen to the bone, sunburnt, dehydrated, had eyes so watery i couldn't see, ears so blasted i could scarcely hear, and so forth.

It has provided me with friends i would not have otherwise met, been the vehicle for my son to learn racing (and defensive driving) skills, and given me countless hours of time in my garage, with one upgrade after another. I am now putting on an oiling system out of a Ray Evernham NASCAR Dodge.

I have driven 1100 miles away, to race, blasted for two days around a road course, packed up, and driven back home, with the only problem a wire falling off the alternator. I have driven about 1.4 millions miles since '63, and have been left in the lurch by every other car i ever owned.

But never by my #672 SPF.

My car has been bullet proof. I would not hesitate to gas it, and head to to the West Coast.

If i had been a youth in 1848, i would have ridden for the Pony Express.

If the rest of my life were as trouble free as my car, life would be easier.
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War