SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2002, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question Aluminum 427 so heads and emissions

I am doing research on buying and building a Cobra in the next couple years but starting on the engine before even then . In registering this car in Ohio I would need emissions testing and assuming I put a 60's-70's engine (block at least) in it I would be excluded from this testing. My question is what happens if I would like to put an aluminum 427 block into the car from Genesis or Shelby or wherever. Would this now constitute my engine being produced in 200x? Or because it is modeled after an engine that quit production in 197x (engine casting would not be there), or because it is a unique manufacture would there be some other type of exclusion from emissions testing? I suppose that everyone that already has a registered cobra with an exclusion can change out their engine without anyone's knowledge but how about transfering to a new state with this engine, or selling, etc. Lets assume that putting a cat on the sidepipes are not desired

Thanks for any input i can get.
Scott
Old 09-05-2002, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

I would recommend against building the engine prior to chassis purchase. You will have a greater understanding of what you want to do with the car after you get the chassis purchased, and decide which options you will run. Besides, the engine you build now might not work well with whichever chassis you later pick. Also, it's easier to spend way too much of your budget on motor pieces, so you may end up with a $15K motor and only $20k to do everything else. The motor is the easiest piece on the car to upgrade later. I would rather see a guy put the money into the chassis and run a stock motor until the budget improves instead of having an awsome motor on a stand and no money left to finish the chassis the way he wants.

For the emissions question....If the car is titled as a 65 lets say, that should be exempt from all emissions testing requirements. It's the date of the motor which determines what year the chassis gets titled as. So you may have a more difficult time getting the car titled with the aftermarket block, but if it is allready titled, than nobody would be the wiser. But I am no lawyer, and I don't work for the DMV so this is mostly speculation.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33868 Sold. Just "playin' the boards now."
Not Ranked     

I think I'd make a possible correction,depending on state. Some states hold fast to the certificate of origin dating regardless of engine. My state did not hence titled as '66 because of engine.

Suggest the same as fixit on priorities. What you CAN do is begin going to Ford oriented swap meets and shows and learn about the 427 parts that are available. Cast iron blocks are still out there as are heads and manifolds. LeMans rods and steel OEM cranks are still around too. Start getting to know the "Ford guys" in your area.

If you're thinking 427 for real, it sounds like you're trying to make the car as original as possible. If that is true, I'd suggest looking at kit manufacturers who offer a round tube chassis built like the originals were. Several do this.

The best advice I can give you is don't buy a cheap kit. There's lots of cobra wannabe junk on the market just waiting for someone inexperienced to come along. They all look great in pictures, until you start looking at the shape of the car and it's dimensions.

Also, when looking at various kits, remember you don't have to buy the whole magilla. You can buy just the chassis and body and do your own sourcing for the correct hardware and accessories. Actually, that is a lot of fun and very educational.

I thought I was pretty well informed about Cobras, until I began to source the bits and pieces to make the car right.

The other aspect of this outsourcing method is that you can operate within your budget and still get the high quality you want to make the car right. Buy one thing this month and something else next month and so on. Yes it takes time, but hey, that's part of the fun of doing one of these cars.

Your first job, if you really want the car to be as much like a real Cobra as possible, is to spend lots of time around originals. Take pictures, ask questions and look at the little details.

Most of all, select vendors VERY carefully. There are sharks out there. Don't let a bad vendor experience spoil the fun of having your dream car. Brent Mills, the owner of this site, has had a lulu of an experience with a supposedly very highly rated engine builder.

Last but not least, have a ball. You're about to undertake the adventure of your life!
Old 09-05-2002, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Good advice! Listen to these guys.

Too many times a beginner will blow too much of his budget on too much engine, scrimp on the rest of the car, and have something other than his dream car when finished.