SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2002, 11:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 2401 street 289 Cobra and CSX 3288 Street "427" Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default "Popping" on deceleration! Why?

Help! My 289 has significant "popping" on deceleration at all times. A friend advised it was due to too restrictive an exhaust. I am running a stock original type under-car exhaust, with glass pack type mufflers that I am sure have no "glass pack" left in them. The engine is a 347 stroker with Webers. Any suggestions? The car is way too loud the way it is, also. I attract enough attention without the noise. They won't let me autocross anymore because I exceed their dB requirement rules.
What should I do (besides sell the car to you for $100 to get rid of my problems--I've already considered that offer!
Old 09-06-2002, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Most often it is low back pressure. Combine with rich condition coming off the gas makes for header back fire.
Old 09-06-2002, 12:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

I've had sever popping on decel due to exhaust system leak and lean idle mixture.

I richened up the mixture screws, Holley, about 1/2 turn and most of the problem went away. Gone completely when I replaced header gaskets.

Mike

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 09-06-2002, 12:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC #004 (Original ERA?)
Not Ranked     

1. Too rich
2. poor ignition (if gas is not burned it will mimic rich condition)
3. leak in the exhaust system
4. blown header gaskets

At one time or another I've had all of the above (sometimes in combination) with the resultant pipe POP upon deceleration.

Good luck, Pete C
Old 09-06-2002, 12:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

If you have an exhaust leak this will happen.
Old 09-06-2002, 12:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

Ditto on MikieC. Pull a plug and look for signs of lean mixture and use your hand to CAREFULLY feel for an exhaust leak. If it's been there a while, you will probably see the black soot around the leak.
Old 09-06-2002, 12:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Come on you guys I bet 99% of ALL Cobras have SOME popping on deceleration. This is because there is no exhaust pipe connecting BOTH sides together. OK, so maybe the popping in question here is "severe" but my bet is it will NOT go away completely, EVER with separate side pipes.

Since I "blew out" my baffles on my side pipes the popping is WAY more noticable than before. The car is WAY louder also. I wear ear plugs when I race! So far I haven't been "banned", but I HAVE been worried about the possibilty.

5.0 EFI (with no leaks a perfect mixture and NO smog equipment).

Ernie
Old 09-06-2002, 01:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C 428 cid 430 hp
Not Ranked     

Ditto on the mixture/exhaust leak. Both the Snake and the 67 BB Vette had exhaust pop. Snake fixed by new header/sidepipe gaskets/sealer. Vette had a mixture problem.
Got to admit though when the Snake is really hot (200deg) I get some pop on decel. Hey I'll give you $101 and take all your problems away from you !!!

Last edited by Jerry Chabino; 09-06-2002 at 01:05 PM..
Old 09-06-2002, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 2401 street 289 Cobra and CSX 3288 Street "427" Cobra
Not Ranked     

$101!!! Do I hear $102? Going , going.....

Thanks for all the advice. I'll look for exhaust leaks.
Old 09-06-2002, 10:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim, mikie c is correct. If there is no exaust leak, then you have a lean misfire causing the pop. The reason is, when you close the throttle, there is no fuel going to the cylinders other then what your idle mixture allows. You could also raise the idle and richen the idle mixture. A vaccuum leak could cause this also. This lean condition on part throttle at higher rpm's is why the cup guys constantly rev and let off the throttle on yellows. If they didn.t, they would cook a piston on restarts as a cylinder just got too hot from a lean condition. Good luck, scott.
Old 09-07-2002, 04:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

MIne was a too rich condition. Upon rejetting down from 77/78 to 71/75 on my 750 double pumper most of the popping went away!
Dana
Old 09-07-2002, 06:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to wrench
Not Ranked     

Part of the noise is caused when you slam the throttle shut on decel, the resultant high rpm, high vacuum condition causes the engine to suck a lot of fuel through the carbs, putting a lot of raw gas in the exhaust, a lot of oem carbs have a dashpot on them to stop the throttle from closing completely on decel, giving time (1 or 2 seconds). for the high vacuum to decrease before fully closing the throttle. dont know what you could do about it on webers, though.
Old 09-08-2002, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

This happened to me once and it turned out to be loose header bolts.

However, Demon carb tech sheet says backfires out of exhaust can be remedied by one or more of the following:

Lowering float level
Decrease fuel pressure
Decrease jet size
Readjust primary and secondary butterflly position

Roscoe
Old 09-08-2002, 07:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

Hey guys Jim isn't running a Holley here...the short runners on the webers will cause popping if you have too much cam in the engine...and getting the jetting just right with 7-8 things that you can move around is a B*#$%.....what are the specs on the cam you are running Jim?

I have noticed an increase in the amount of popping I get from my car on decel from the webers over what I had previously with a holley and single plane but I did have popping with the holley too. This is a known problem with Webers...you can have "NO" exhaust leaks or they will pop!!!!!

There are a couple of things to consider
- I had alot of popping just driving around, at cruising speed ont decelerating, with a lean mixture...I also have to get a laser pyrometer to get the mixture on all cylinders correct to make sure that isnt' some of the problem....
- I can't remember but does the undercar on your 289 connect the same way as a comp car or an ERA? Do the headers slide into the exhaust collector pipe 1 header at a time? This type of connection is a bear to seal up...I still haven't figured out how to get mine to seal yet but am open to suggestions...

My bet is there isn't a header leak but a leak at the collector where the header meets the exhaust and you are sucking cold air in on decel.....best way I found to avoid it was to take it out of gear and coast when I was going to slow down ...no downshifting unless I am flat out on the accel

Matt - Ill give $200...bid high and scare the other bidders
2006 Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition
2003 Hummer H1 OpenTop
2003 Hummer H1 Wagon

Last edited by 427Aggie; 09-08-2002 at 07:34 AM..
Old 09-09-2002, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA 351 W
Not Ranked     

I second the comments of 427Aggie. I have heard that most Webers will pop a little bit on decel, more so when the engine is hot. However, if you are really having major crackling, an exhaust leak would be a good bet.