SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2002, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default a plethera of questions

Hi everyone, I've been lurking for a while. I'm considering building my own car someday, probably something similar to daytona coupe, though it will probably be of my own design. This is sort of what I'm thinking. I want a daily driver that will go at least a hundred thousand miles without a complete engine rebuild. I'm probably looking for about 300 hp, and I'd like to get as high gas milage as possible given this amount of horse power. I'm not really looking for a race car, just something I can smoke all the ricers with.

Here are my questions...

Would it be more fuel effecient to have a smaller turbocharged engine than a larger non forced induction engine, given the same end hp? Also, in general would it be more fuel effecient to start with a smaller engine and squeeze every last bit of hp out of it to get the hp I want or start with a slightly larger engine and set it up more conservatively.

Would it be completely insane to place an engine in the front and transmission in the rear? Any suggestions? I like a little more over steer but don't want porschesque handling. Sadly I'm also considering a tiptronic (autosick) transmission (I'm lazy).

Any thoughts on all wheel drive?

I'm really just looking for broad generalizations. Assume someone who knows there stuff would build and dial in the engine, and that price isn't an issue. Right now I'm just in the college student dreaming about building a car stage.
Old 09-14-2002, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of an A&C
Not Ranked     

Moocow,

Not trying to squelch your enthusiasm, but why re-invent the wheel. Custom manufacturing all those parts is not real practical. You'd need to either have a trust fund to build what you're suggesting, or a GREAT job. With that great job, you'd not have the time to build the car you've described.

-wadesdad
Old 09-14-2002, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

There's a guy in our club running a Vortec on a nearly stock 5.0. Gets 22 MPG on the highway, and can smoke the tires at will. I'm running a normally aspirated 351W with the usual selection of aftermarket parts. It gets 17 MPG on the highway. Both cars are driven daily.

Typical Cobra motors are running 375 - 450 HP easily. Depending on how it's built, driven, and maintained, 100,000 miles between bottom end rebuilds should be typical.

As stated above, it doesn't make a lot of sense to re-invent the wheel, when you can buy them off-the-shelf.
Old 09-14-2002, 12:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't know how much the recycling yards are charging nowadays, but your best bet may be the stock mechanicals from a late model Corvette. If you try to build your design by putting separate components together, it'll take a lot of engineering and at least $10K - $15K.

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 09-15-2002, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'd be using stock stuff for most of the car, maybe slightly modified here and there. The body (aluminum) and parts of the frame would be the only thing I'd actually do myself (ie a 10 year long project that may get done "someday"). I'm just looking more for a general direction. Corvette parts are probably the way to go. Any other suggestions on donors?
Old 09-15-2002, 08:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Corvette C5's are what you are looking for. Post '97 vintage.

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 09-15-2002, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

I'm with bob on the donor.. My car uses Jag e type components that were designed 40 some odd years ago and an engine that is pushing 50. (think ford edsel)

I would go with a vette and save tons of money.. I say this as you are not specifically trying to replicate the Marque which is what this site is all about.

Bob Builds perhaps the finest reinterpretations on the road but they look like, act like, and in some ways are better than a Shelby Cobra.

If you do not want a Cobra stick with Chevy.. for 20-30k you can build something that will cruise at 150 mph, have AC and get parts for at Pep Boys and if you ever need serious service drive into Woodard Chevrolet in Fairfield, CA (you are welcome Turk) for a new engine for under $3500

I just looked at a running (used, not rebuilt) engine that will likely cost me $7500 and I get to put it in and hope it isn't really USED UP.. With it I can smoke a vette to about 145.. after that all I get to see are tail lights.. But of course I get into Heaven for free and the vette driver will still be paying for his sins in Pergatory.. So in the end who really wins..

Regards,

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 09-16-2002, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

If you are seriously considering building an all-wheel drive, rear transmissioned, turbocharged 6 cyl cobra: do it. It will be the only one equipped like that, it will be such a pain in the @ss that every street rodder and custom car guy will spend hours talking to you about how you did it. It will also cost a fortune and take more time than you could imagine. In all reality, just go with the cookie cutter setups, they are tried and true.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

These are all good suggestions. Now all I have to do is find the money and the time.