SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2002, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett/Morrison- Boss 302 Stroked W/351W heads and a whole bunch of ponies
Not Ranked     
Cool Front end shake

I am pretty anal about things and like them perfect. But I am getting a bit of vibration in the front that is not consistent when I am on the Hwy. It will do it at various speeds usually over 55 MPH and in the turns. Could it be that the shocks have gone bad or wear in the ball joints and other suspension parts? How smooth should I expect the ride to be in the front?
Brand-new tires and balanced correctly, supposedly.

Everyday is a Holiday ... every meal is a banquet.
Old 09-22-2002, 04:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

98% of front end vibrations are driven by tire/wheel imbalance, out-of-roundness, wheel out-of-true, or tread separation. 1% is caused by brake problems and 1% all the rest. If you can't see the wheel literally bouncing, it ain't your shocks. (Hopefully, you would notice bad shocks way before that happened.)

If your front tires weren't balanced dynamically, do it. If they were, find a tire place that can check your tire balance while the assembly is on the car.

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 09-22-2002, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

H, As a prior Shakeaholic I would like to offer this advice when dealing with this problem. Make notes and a checklist of what you have done to date.In diagnosing my problem I had a tendency to be redundant and trying the same fix over again. What I believed to be an out of balance tire causing a front end shake turned out to be an out of balance driveshaft causing the whole car to shake. I did feel it in high speed turns.It did come and go between sixty and seventy with no rhyme or reason. I had the front end checked and rechecked, aligned, complete new set of tires and replaced the rear axles without curing the problem. I finally just pulled the driveshaft for grins and two hours later had the car smooth as glass. I still grit my teeth at seventy waiting for that dam shake to come in.But it is like driving a new car.
Good Luck I hope it is not the pain in the ass mine was!
Old 09-22-2002, 06:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Hey Bill:
My dealer told me they all did it, and I would just have to live with it.

I've had the tires balanced (3 times), the alignment is good, the shocks are new, my air pressure is correct. Are you telling me an 8 inch long drive shaft is causing the problem? If so, why does the problem come and go? Does the driveshaft go in and out of balance? In my case it's at its worst accelerating up a hill!

Bob
Old 09-22-2002, 10:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I just got some new FRONT tires (for the street), no change on the BACK tires. Premium balance and all that. Got this NEW vibration at 55 to 60, subtle, but it shakes the steering wheel. Got to be front tires right?

So I haven't had the fronts re-checked yet. Mean while I put on my road race tires on the BACK only (just playing around) and the FRONT vibration went away! NOW I'm scratching my head!

Ernie
Old 09-22-2002, 11:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Ernie:
Ditto here!

Bob
Old 09-22-2002, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob, we have two different manufactures cars with two different drive lines .I think the Superformance driveshaft is too short to balance. I belive the machine shop told me anything under ten inches is not necessary.
All the pro's kept telling me that it could not be the driveshaft because I was feeling it in the front end. I only tried it because it was making me crazy and there was nothing left to change. I am only guessing the frames are so stout that vibrations can be transmitted in an unconventional ways. All the material I had read on diagnosing vibrations were written about unibody late model cars.
Who cares what works as long as it works!
Old 09-23-2002, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of an A&C
Not Ranked     

I recently had the same problem. Re-torqued the front wheel bearings and it went away.

Expensive toys that shake are NOOOOO fun!
Old 09-24-2002, 01:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hmmmm,,,,I just put on those new Wilwood calipers and pads,,,,better go back and check my wheel bearing torque.

Ernie
Old 09-24-2002, 02:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 454 S.O.
Not Ranked     

I say shocks or ball joints. Take it to somebody for a free inspection.

“If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.”

Mark Donahue
Old 09-24-2002, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett/Morrison- Boss 302 Stroked W/351W heads and a whole bunch of ponies
Not Ranked     
Smile

A lot of good information. I'm fixin (Atlanta talk for "getting ready to") to replace the stock 9" front disk with 11". Now I have a lot more things to check and play with. I love this... It's like owning two boats. You just keep pouring money down a hole.

Everyday is a Holiday ... every meal is a banquet.