SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-24-2002, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 302 (modified)
Not Ranked     
Default Distributor Rotor Gap

What would be a minimum/maximun allowable gap between rotor and post? I have just switch from a large Duraspark cap to a small older style Ford cap and rotor. I am running an MSD 6 system and will run either with a Blaster coil or a stock Ford coil.

Thanx for the feedback.

Maury
Old 09-24-2002, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Project "X" underway....twin turbo V6, AWD...
Not Ranked     
Cool

Hi Maury,

The tightest clearance without actually touching is ideal. Just make sure you get the proper rotor for that particular cap. I've seen many misapplications here, with gaps nearing 1/2"!! Also, as an added measure, drill two opposing small holes(~1/8") in the cap, between the towers, for ventilation. With the smaller caps, the air inside can become charged, and possibly cause a misfire condition.

Hope all is well up north.

Dave
Old 09-24-2002, 09:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have found that TOO close can also create problems on some cars. I had a heck of a time, years ago, diagnosing a customers Chrysler that was fouling plugs and idling rich etc. Of course I went after the fuel system. Turns out it was the small rotor gap in the distributor causing a weak spark! I use the paper thickness of the "flap" on a pack of matches to gauge (now thats hi tech, lol).

Ernie
Old 09-24-2002, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 64 smallblock Fairlane
Send a message via AIM to W2zero
Not Ranked     

Exca;ibur

Now that statement about the matchbook brought back a memory. My buddy and I used to flog his dad's 63 and a half Galaxie 427 single quad 4spd on the sly. No money and no tools so we used a single thickness of a matchbook for the points and a double thickness for the plugs. Gene could beat the dual quad cars out of the hole but he could only win when they screwed up.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey, thats how I learned that trick, no money no tools!

When I finally actually started making some money and had some tools, well,,,old habits die hard, HA HA! Here I am in Chrysler DEALERSHIP as a proffesional line mechanic using a friggin match cover to set up a BRAND NEW car!

OK, they drew the line when I got out my ball of wire to "hang" a muffler one day,,,,,,,,,

Ernie (PhD graduate, school of hard knocks)

Thanks for the memories!
Old 09-24-2002, 04:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

If you use the small ford style cap, make sure you get one from an electronic ignition car. The later style small caps have small ridges built inside around the inner spark post to shield it from cross travel. Match it to the correct rotor, and you will not have a problem. if I am not mistaken, 1977 was the first year of the large cap, so 1973-1976 should be using the small one. Also, try to use 8mm ign wires. I think the part number of the cap you need is F968 in Wells.