SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2002, 07:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question Do it yourself front end alignment

I am planning to do my own front end alignment. I have ordered the caster/camber guages & can measure the toe with a tape measure. I have four plates of steel for turntables. I think I'm about ready to do it as soon as the guage gets here next week.

My question: Have any of you guys done your own four wheel alignment? I have a Mustang II geometry tubular front & Jag rear. Is there anything I should look for? Anyone have any hints?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-25-2002, 08:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Homewrecker,

Just a suggestion but if you have a friend that has an alignment shop you might want to have him check it after you are done. I did mine a couple of years ago after a major suspension change and then took it over to have a friend check it. I was just 1/16ths off on one wheel and right on on the others. I just felt more copmfortable knowing I hadn't did something wrong and had it off a little.

Ron61
Ron Widener
Old 09-25-2002, 11:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Ron,

That's actually my problem. Nobody here wants to do the alignment. The have racks that are too high to get the car on & aren't willing to be creative to get it up there. There are a few that still do them on the floor, but they're 50 miles away. I figured that I'd just spend the money on the tools & do it myself.
I even called Johnny Benson's dad. He builds race cars & will do it, but is too busy until next spring.

I'm going to give it a try.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dave,

I am sure that you will do alright on the alignment. Just watch the tires closely for a while and see if they are wearing even. I am fortunate that the friend of mine owns a huge wheel and brake place and they do everything from Cobras to 18 wheelers. He has about 6 different kinds of ramps & etc. and we can just drive the Cobras right up onto one of them with no clearance problems.

Ron61
Ron Widener
Old 09-25-2002, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I did my own using a tape measure and a plumb bob for tow and camber. Trick was setting up lines square with the rear wheels to make accuarte tow measurements. I made gauges that clamp to the wheels from which I can measure front-to-back and top-to-bottom distances. Didn't have to buy a thing and it works great. Car handles well and no tire scuffing/wear in over 4000 miles. Glad to see someone else has the gumption to do this stuff themselves.
Old 09-25-2002, 12:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I guess I could have gone that route. I'm an engineer so I could have done the calculations, but I don't know how flat my garage floor is, so I went & spent the $139 for the guage that has zeroing capabilities. I also wanted to get good at it because I plan on street driving as well as a few road courses. I would like to be able to change ride heights & toe settings whenever I want.

This has always been the one thing that I had to rely on someone else to do on my other vehicles. I might as well learn!

Did you guys just go to a parts store & buy a pack of shims? Are they all the same?
Old 09-25-2002, 12:28 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     
Default Tune to Win

Carol Smiths book as a real good chapter on doing this yourself. We always did when we race Formula cars. Be SURE that the floor is level left to right. You don't need to worry much about front to back. Masonite or floor tiles make good shims to level out the floor. After any adjustment roll the car back or forward at least eight feet and bounce the suspension. Then double check your messurements. Record what each adjustment does to settings. For instance, 1 turn changed the toe x inches. This will save you a bunch of time in the future. Your first alignment will take forever to set up everything. If you follow all of Carols advice, a FULL weekend with running around for this and that during the week. But after that it should take no more than an hour. Mark the position of the shims and stands on the floor for a quick set up. You can not set the toe in the rear by measuring tread to tread or wheel to wheel. The total toe may be correct but the tires will most likely be pointing left or right as a set.

Then you could go the full route! Set all pieces equal in length. Measure everything so you can model the suspension and look at changes and how the effect each other. Work out the bump steer. Play with the ackerman. etc, etc, etc.

Have fun

Rick
Old 09-25-2002, 01:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great information!

Thanks Rick
Old 09-25-2002, 01:37 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     
Default Sorry Dave

I just noticed that you are in Michigan. Not a Michigan fan are you???? If so I am afraid that I can no longer be of help. Just kidding. You are after all another Unique owner. Where you at the Fling?
Old 09-25-2002, 02:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am certainly not a Lions fan. I haven't really had time to watch the college games lately. I'm more of a MSU fan than I am a U of M fan anyway. Hope that sits better with you.

I was not at the fling because the car wasn't ready yet. We're planning to go next year. I just didn't want to rush anything this year. I've had the car up to 75 mph & it's pretty stable but wants to wander a little. I need more toe-in to fix that. Other than paint & alignment, the Unique is pretty road worthy. I've put 100 miles on it so far & am very happy with it. The Weavers build a good car & Southern Automotive builds a good engine!