SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2002, 05:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     
Default Which PCV valve - 351W

I've got a 351W crate engine, dual plane, Holley 750 CFM. I've decided to install a PCV valve. When I go to the auto parts store there are 50 of them hanging on the hooks. Which one should I be using? I imagine that different valves flow different amounts of air. I would like to flow a lesser amont of crankcase air.

Any suggestions (brand, models)?

Thanks, Bob
Old 10-01-2002, 09:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Why run one at all?
Is there a specific reason you decided to use one?
Why not just vent it?
Old 10-02-2002, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

Billit specialties sells a breather cap with a replaceable PCV valve in it. Looks good too.
Old 10-02-2002, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 434 cid
Not Ranked     

Curious... why one that would limit venting?
Old 10-02-2002, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Let me take a stab at answering this.
1) I went to our local NAPA store and the counterman sold me a PCV valve for a 351W. He said it was for just about EVERY 351W. If you need, I can pop it out, read its number, and report back.
2) I too got a breather cap that the PCV valve fits in.
3) When I got my car, I was told that it would not require a PCV valve. But, within a few months, there was a fine layer of oil on top of both valve covers under the breathers. The PCV valve cures this and now the valve covers remain clean.

I hope this helps,
Steve
Old 10-02-2002, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If your breathers are dumping oil on the valve covers, a PCV is NOT the answer. All that will do for you is let your intake suck up that oil and have your motor burn it. You need better baffles in the valve covers to separate the oil mist from the "air" before letting it out. If yoy can't baffle the valve covers any better, there are breather stands available which have good baffling.
Old 10-02-2002, 03:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Right now it's just vented, with no problems. I feel the oil would be better off if there was some circulation of new air in the crankcase.

Bob
Old 10-02-2002, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob, I would advise you to leave things as they are. One good breather on each valve cover is all you ought to need.
Old 10-02-2002, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A little extra info on the topic

whaler
Old 10-02-2002, 06:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Good info, whaler...I would strongly recommend using a PCV valve for the engine protection it will provide...emissions are a plus. Some here say our motors never see that much "daily" type driving, so a PCV valve is unnecessary...I think if the jetting accounts for it, you're better off with one than without...just my dos centavos.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 974
Not Ranked     

Interesting article ..but I do not see where the PCV ensures engine protection over a properly vented crankcase. It helps with emmisions which is usually not an issue with our cars.
A clogged or dirty PCV, according to the article, can "cause" engine damage. ..oh..oh. I never noticed oil residue on my covers that could not be wiped clean with my regular maintenance. A vented crankcase is a must, whether it is vented with breathers on the covers, tubed down below or with a PCV. I prefer open breathers and nothing but a COOL/CLEAN air charge flowing down the carb.
Old 10-03-2002, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 434 cid
Not Ranked     

Because piston rings don't seal 100% you have to have a place to vent the blow-bye. A PCV valve's size is determined by someone's best guess as to how much venting your engine needs to maintain normal pressure. Engine size and condition will change an engine's venting requirements, too much venting and you will get moisture in the oil, too little and you will get oil leaks and overloaded oil rings. PCV valves were developed because the government cares more about emissions than about the inside of your engine.

Scott
Old 10-03-2002, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Bob in Ct.

If you have a race engine in a race car, you don't need a PCV. If you have a street engine in a street car, you need a PCV.

PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valves have been installed on virtually all engines since about 1963. It puts the inside of your engine under a slight vacuum, removes the oil vapors generated in the crankcase from your engine, injects this under the carb base into the intake where the vapors are burned. And it only does this when the engine is under high vacuum or low load so it doesn't mess up your power enrichment.

There should be an air inlet breather on the drivers side valve cover. With the engine running, if you put your thumb over this hole with the breather out, you can feel the vacuum. The air then circulates through the engine to the passenger side valve cover where the PCV pulls the air and oil vapors out through a hose to the intake.

Go to the Fram or Purolator book alongside the rack of PCV valves, find the part number for a early - mid-70's PCV for a Ford 351W. If there are a couple to choose from, the one you want is the one with the little plastic 90 deg elbow on top with a 3/8" hose fitting.

Remember to jet your carb primaries about 2 steps richer to make up for the extra air the PCV lets in. Secondaries shouldn't be affected.

Can you get by without one? Sure. But your engine, and engine compartment will get dirtier (oilier) faster.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, Mopar thingy (small block of course)
Not Ranked     

I would ask your engine builder how much you can drop the octane. Oil vapor sucked in and burned can make your octane rating drop from 92 to 88-89. I vent my engine, properly baffled there is very little oil to wipe off and here in the desert I don't worry about condensation much. PCVs are better for emmisions.