SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2002, 10:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question 2 x4 hollys how do you tune these boys?

hi guys... i know a few of you are running 2x4's out there. i am running a 1966 stock set up (out of a thunder bolt i think)fomoco mid rise, they ,or one of them is running so rich im fouling out with fuel , the heads and valves are stock and i have been told any thing resembling a lean mix may burn the valves whats the drill?? any help is sure welcomed .thanks Karl
Old 12-18-2002, 05:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

One thing you don't want to do is to continue operating you car with it running rich. It will wash down the cylinders and wear them out real fast.

Holleys are notorius for warping the main body of the carburetor, so your problem may not be tuning. The carburetors may need to be torn down and the metering block mounting face trued. This is done by filing those surfaces--two per carburetor--so the gaskets can provide a good seal to the metering blocks. Before you remove the carburetors, though, check that the float bowl mounting bolts are snug. Don't overtighten them.

Another problem Holleys have is a blown power-valve diaphragms. A good pop back through the carburetor(s) will do this. Replacing the power valve will fix this problem.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 12-18-2002, 06:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

The most common carburator problem is that they don't get setup correctly in the first place. You don't want to run too rich, but you don/t want too lean either. You ought to take the carbs off, put new gasket sets in them, see what size jets and power valves you have (they may need to be changed) and then start tuning them. If that is more than you want to do, check your float height settings first. If one is too high, you will run rich. If one is way too high, smack the top of the adjustment screw with the handle of a screwdriver, that can fix a stuck needle and seat valve. A blown power valve will do the same. Wrong power valve or wrong jets can too.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Karl, Kountzecdobra had a good method you might try...take the carbs off and tune them one at a time on a single-four engine of known quality...you'll probably find the rich one has something busted or outta whack (blown power valve would be my guess). after tuning each one, one at a time, bolt them on the 2X4 manifold and reset the idles and you should be ready to rock.
On the car, back off idle on one and tune the other one (float level, mixture), then reverse the procedure and tune the other carb. Finally, try to get the idle airflow (or throttle opening) the same on both for final idle setting.
Good luck!
Old 12-19-2002, 09:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks guys, i guess its time to quit dodging a couple of carb rebuilds. on a 2x4 set up should the idle circuit be active on both carbs ?or just the front?
Old 12-19-2002, 09:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hmmm...Kountzecobra???
I have both of mine operating...very small throttle opening on each one. Seems like someone said the factory setup used only one carb, not sure which.
Old 12-19-2002, 12:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC, 351 Cleveland, Dual Quads, C6
Not Ranked     

MR0077 has the right idea of tuning both carbs separately. On the dual 600 Holleys, you may try tuning like he explained and set idle mostly on front carb, then open rear carb about 1/4 turn from closed position. Try leaving about 1/8" slack in the rear carb linkage adjustment and see what happens. There will be a little trial and error in tuning, but this should give a good start. Remember one thing, nothing is more critical than float level settings on a Holley carb! BTW, Ken, what was wrong with your car last Sat?
Old 12-21-2002, 10:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

David, I had a stripped nut on the front of the right outer pivot bolt on the rear end...it has a shoulder on it and when it worked toward the rear and slipped out of the upright it had about 1/8" slop in all directions (out, in, up, down), so it was toeing in on acceleration and out on deceleration, meanwhile crabbing down the road in between...kind of a queasy feelin. $5.00 worth of (4) new nuts and both sides are fixed.
I took your advise on the carbs and pulled out the rear choke and assembly, just fine tuning the single (front) choke right now. MUCH better, thanks.
Old 12-21-2002, 06:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: R.U.C.C. with a 427FE, toploader
Not Ranked     

This helped me http://www.bob2000.com/carb.htm
Mike
Old 12-21-2002, 10:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

wow what a great site, he didn't discuss 2x4 setups but an hour and a half of reading has given me at least a vocabulary and a basic understanding of cicuit function .thanks Mike
Old 12-30-2002, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 351 Windsor 405 HP
Not Ranked     

When and if you replace power valves make absolutely sure the gasket under it seats properly. If not you'll never get it to run right.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks Art,that had the firm ring of personal experiance.I bought my kits today complete w/ power valves. tommorrow i clear bench space,and get a little dirty i will take extra care with the gaskets!
karl
Old 01-05-2003, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

KobraKarl! Art is right about the gskets, I turned my carbs up on end and tighten with my fingers first, this way you can make sure the gasket is centered.
Mind if I ask what size jets and PV your using?

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hi Pat, jets are 62 .power valve is 8.5 .this is just how i got them and this is my first time through them, i really dont know what is best for my engine. it was flood fouling ,but i suspect a p/v or float needle. any suggestions?
Old 01-20-2003, 10:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Hi all

just wanted to toss in a BIG THANKS ....it turned out that you were all pretty much on the money with your remote diagnostics

1 loose srews throughout

2 three of four mating faces warped .006 or more

3 a blown p- valve

4 a bunch a non holly parts.

anyway aday and a half later they look "right outa da box"
now ...i got to clean a manifold.................then / / / / /
Old 01-23-2003, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     
Unhappy

Does this mean your manifold isn't for sale? Just joking..

Reminds me of the only day my 1980 MGB didn't start on the first turn of the engine (no joke) It cranked and cranked.. nothing.. I started smelling fuel.. Hmmm.. I opened the hood and there was gas everywhere.

I looked around and ever nut bolt and fastener on the carb was loose.. It was my day off so I went to the parts store got a pair of rebuild kits for the strombergs and a repair manual (see I told you I wasn't kidding).. I got home and tore off the carbs.. What the hey they were loose already.. I have rebuilt carbs before.. besides I got the book to get me through reassebly. I get every spring, ball valve orfice and jet laid out on the driveway, get them all cleaned surfaces prepped and I open the book to start thr reassembly..

The book tells you how to remove them.. ok.. turn the page.. "PLEASE REFER TO YOUR BRITISH LEYLAND DEALER FOR ADDITIONAL SERVICE" This was 1987.. It took a few hours. But I got them back together..

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 01-23-2003, 07:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Scobrac,

that post preceded by a day the dissapointing discovery that a low rise manifold had been mounted on my medium rise heads.it is FOR SALE . cleaned up nice.

I think a lot of us have done " that one" tear it down (hell i can remember that) a couuple hours later it dosnt look so obvious any more