SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2003, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: GT40 NZ & GT40NA
Not Ranked     
Default alt bracket help

I found an alt bracket from March (#30351) that is supposedly for 65-69 302's.

I am interested in using this, because it sets the alt lower, compareds to the newer 5.0 ford stuff,,,,,and I need it down low to fit withing the engine comp of my GT40.

My concern is that I don't know if this will actually bolt onto the froont of my later 5.0 block?
Did ford change the bolt pattern on the front of the timing covers after 69 or something?

I just don't want to throw money at parts that will end up sitting on my shelf collecting dust. (I have enough of those already froom my cobra build).

here is a pic of the set up. Is anyone using it?
Old 04-22-2003, 11:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Alain:

I think what you are tring to achieve is to mount the alternator on the passenger side down low similar to the way a 289/ early 302 had them mounted in a Mustang(??) The front covers themselves will bolt to all blocks as far as I know but the water pump has evolved by adding a back plate, switching the inlet (hose) from the passenger to the driver side and consequently the bolt pattern has evolved through time as well. The parts you illustrated will mount the alternator low with the correct cover and water pump. You will need an early front cover and water pump. Check Ebay ther are normally several with pictures. Search "289 302 Ford"

Good luck
Rick

Last edited by Rick Parker; 04-22-2003 at 11:03 PM..
Old 04-23-2003, 05:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: GT40 NZ & GT40NA
Not Ranked     

Yes, I am trying to mount the alt low & on the pass side.
I have a ford explorer timing cover & water pupmp, because it is very short & uses a serpentine belt. Also the lower hose hooks up on the drivers side.

It sounds like the bracket for an early motor may not work with my water pump......

I have a bracket ordered, so I should know in a few days.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter 427, 5.0 (302)
Not Ranked     

Alan
I think you will have to switch to a early style front motor cover and a standard rotation water pump to get this to work. The exploreer front cover is shorter than the early ones.

Here is the part you mentioned on Marches website

http://www.marchperf.com/pg30.html

Read this warning

1965 - 1969 289-302 C.I. Alternator and P/S Brackets
Requires passenger side lower radiator hose.

Part #30351 - Alternator Bracket: Billit aluminum, Clear powdercoated and stainless steel adjusting rod.

It looks like you could get a early front cover and a early water pump and you will be able to use this part.