SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2003, 10:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 351w assembly STILL in progress
Send a message via AIM to ronzara Send a message via Yahoo to ronzara
Not Ranked     
Default SB FORD Head Freeze Plug ???

I was wondering,... Do ALL Small Block Ford heads have the same size freeze plugs???
Does anybody know what sizes they are, and/or where to get them??

Are they installed in the same manner as the block plugs?

Thanks
RZ
2. "Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Junk"....
Old 04-24-2003, 04:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

ronzara

You'll need two 1-1/5 inch core plugs for each head. These should be available at any auto parts store that sells "hard" parts, such as NAPA.

As for installation, drive the plug in with a punch or socket that's slightly smaller than the ID of the plug and a soft mallet. The edge of the plug should de driven in just slightly below the core-hole chamfer. Apply a little RTV silicone to the plug flange to ensure that it seals prior to driving it in.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 04-24-2003, 05:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Ronzara:

Many machinists will recomend using non hardening Permatex in lieu of silicone to be used on the plugs exterior diameter prior to them being driven in. Also resist the temptation to leave any "old" plugs inside the head casting after being driven out as they will create hot spots during operation. If you are are doing this use brass soft plug as they will last longer too.

Good luck

Rick

Last edited by Rick Parker; 04-24-2003 at 03:36 PM..
Old 04-24-2003, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick's right. Don't leave the old plugs in the head. And, if you really want to make sure the plugs seal and stay in place, do the same as most NASCAR engine builders do and secure each plug with three brads similar to those that retain the sheet-metal baffle to the bottom of stock SB intake manifolds. This will require drilling three small holes adjacent to each plug flange so the brad head will overlap the flange when it's driven in.

If you're really paranoid, seal and retain the outer edge of the plug by applying a bead of epoxy such as J-B Weld around the edge of the flange. Do this if you're running a 500 mile race and a $200,000 purse is on the line.

Back to using RTV silicon sealer: I've never seen a core plug come out using the procedure I originally described, but being careful can never be criticized.

Cheers,

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue

Last edited by speed220mph; 04-24-2003 at 11:15 AM..
Old 04-24-2003, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Guys,

Thats exactly what I needed to know!

RZ
Old 04-24-2003, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/Bennett, FE with lots of shinny parts that make it go fast
Not Ranked     

RZ,

one last point, I suggest using brass plugs not the steel plugs. They cost a bit more (a few $) but are less likely to give you problems down the road.

good luck ,
mike "monster"

Last edited by Monster; 04-24-2003 at 12:02 PM..
Old 04-24-2003, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Actually, I think the plug size is 1-1/2" not 1-1/5".
Old 04-24-2003, 02:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You're right Dude. Guess I was combining 1-1/2 and 1.5 and came up with 1-1/5. That's New Math

Old 04-24-2003, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

These are Ford Racing SVO Aluminum heads,..

I guess I should DEFINATELY use Brass????

Any special consideration because these ARE aluminum?

What about head bolts and Head gaskets??

Ford Recommends:

“expanded graphite” head gaskets, 2 high-tech metal with bonded O-ring rocker cover gaskets, and 1 engine set of “torque-to-yield” cylinder head bolts.

My Mechanic says he's always used Fel-Pro gaskets with no problems......
And Why couldn't I use my ARP bolts?????

One other thing..... If a Head Gasket has a combustion chamber size of 8.8cc (for example) Do you ADD this amount to your Head chamber size when configuring RATIO???
How is it that Head Manufactures claim XX:1 with a XXcc Chamber If they don't know what gasket size your using???>>>a little misleading isn't it??

Thanks
RZ

Last edited by ronzara; 04-24-2003 at 03:47 PM..
Old 04-24-2003, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/Bennett, FE with lots of shinny parts that make it go fast
Not Ranked     

Freeze plugs-Yes use brass

Head considerations- Follow head manufactuers specs for tightening ( sequence and torque) and re-checking after break in

Gaskets & Bolts- you can't go wrong using ARP and Felpro is also a quality brand from my experiance

For you question on Cylinder Head Volume I refer you to :

http://www.smokemup.com/auto_math/index.php

this site has calculators for almost everything automotive

good luck,
Mike "monster"
Old 04-24-2003, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Ronzara:
If you choose ARP ask about the the set of bolts and/or studs that have a reduced shank diameter for the short fasteners. The reduced shank stretches and helps retain the clamping force on the head gasket. ARP has done research that has shown the studs without the reduced shank diameter will not stretch enough due to their length and will relax, losing the clamping force and allowing a head gasket to fail in certain circumstances. This is not commonly known or understood. Fel Pro offers high quality products too. The current trend and requirement in gaskets is to create a seal and still allow the movement required by the different expansion rates of aluminum and cast iron when used together.

........Rick

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way