SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-07-2003, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner of both Superformance #2666 Roush 427IR and Superformance #1601 Ford Crate 460CI - 486 HP 510 ft\lbs TQ
Not Ranked     
Question Timing Gun with Battery in Trunk?

OK, My new Superformance is running rough and backfires if I stab the throttle at idle. I was told that the primary culprit was bad gas or winter gas. The problem has been getting progressively worse through the last 3 tanks of gas. The last one I got from an Amoco out of the city (to try an get non winter gas) and included a bottle of Octane boost. I have tried to richen the idle mixture slightly but still not any better.

I'd like to check the timing but as I was pulling out my timing light it occured to be that with the battery in the trunk it wouldn't reach. Is there anywhere under the hood I can hook it up to get power? maybe the starter soleniod or something?

Also I know with a vacuum advance you need to need to pull the vacuum hose on the distributer to check the timing at idle. My car appears to have a mechanical advance. Is the enything special I need to do?

Thanks

John Bagley
Old 05-07-2003, 07:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

John,
If you have a firewall-mounted solenoid, hook up the positive clip to the terminal from the battery for (+) and use the engine block or frame for ground. You might consider loosening the hold-down bolt just a bit so you can rotate the dist if the timing is off...nothing else I can think of, except keep the wires off the exhaust!
Old 05-07-2003, 07:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC, 351 Cleveland, Dual Quads, C6
Not Ranked     

Flaming River makes a very nice battery-powered inductive pickup timing light. Uses 2 D-size batteries instead of 12 volts and also doubles as a nice flashlight. I got mine from either Summit or Jeg's.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: used to have a spf
Not Ranked     

Look for your starter relay/solenoid mounted in the engine bay on the firewall, passenger side. You'll see the large red battery cable attached to the terminal on the left side of the relay. Then ground the timing light to the frame and you're all set. As far as your timing is concerned, check with your engine builder as to the timing spec, remeber it's not your initial/idle timing that matters so much, it's the total timing when your advance is all in.

John
spf1421
Old 05-07-2003, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I pull power from the alternator terminal if it's assessable.

Dave
Old 05-08-2003, 04:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None Yet
Not Ranked     

Alternator output / battery terminal.
auto10x
Bill
Old 05-08-2003, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

My starter has a built in solenoid, I run one long wire from the trunk and the other end (neg) clips to the wheel spinner. Works great and only one
wire hanging over your fender.

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

Don't rule out junk in the carb. I recently had a problem where my engine just would not take throttle. It was like my rev limiter was kicking in. Unless I floored it the engine would buck and jump as if I was running on 6 cylinders.

I pulled off the front bowl and as I pulled the metering block off I saw a string of teflon tape stuck in one of the jets. I cleaned it all out and the engine runs perfectly.

I recently drilled and tapped a AN fitting to accept a fuel pressure gauge. I had teflon tape on the NPT thread of the gauge and some of the tape apparently came off and lodged in one of my jets.

Roscoe
Old 05-08-2003, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner of both Superformance #2666 Roush 427IR and Superformance #1601 Ford Crate 460CI - 486 HP 510 ft\lbs TQ
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys for all the replies. I really appreciate it!

JB
Old 05-11-2003, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to butch
Not Ranked     

Sounds like excelorator pump circuit problems.