SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2003, 11:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Shoulder harness laws ?

I'm planning to drive to the DVSF III and have a question about the shoulder harness laws in New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. I do not want to start an endless thread about the virtues of the use of a shoulder harness. My Cobra is registered as a 1965 Ford Roadster, in 1965 I had a new Mustang 2+2 that came with a seat belt only. My question is: in any of the above mentioned States will I be REQUIRED to wear the shoulder harness? John
Old 05-26-2003, 05:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
John,

I can't answer for the other states but in Northern Calif. we can just wear the lap belt. I think I am about the only one up here that uses the shoulder belts. I have even seen a car or two that they had taken the shoulder belts out of because they are just for driving.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 05-26-2003, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Right now in Texas we are having a "Click it or Ticket" and there was a tv add about this very question. Over the shoulder was considered to NOT BE ON AT ALL and the fines up to $500.00 would apply.

The counties are struggleing for cash now and are writing tickets for anything and everything. If you are from out of State they may require you to pay the fine at the time of issuance (yes on the side of the road to the officer). I am not sure about the year the car is regestered as or if it matters at all. The way the game is played here is if they are in the car they should be worn.

I am guilty of not wearing the shoulder harness but only the lap belt as most of us do here, but you never know when you may get a rogue police officer or State Trooper.

I guess what I am saying is better safe than sorry.

BTW please watch your speed, as that is the most often written ticket in Texas by an overwhelming 93%. In some cities the fines are increased by as much as $100.00 per mile over the limit after only five! I recieved a ticket for only eight miles an hour over in Souhlake and the ticket would have cost $490.00 and then it would have doubled to $980.00 because they said it was a construction zone........... even though no signs were out yet, nor would be out for three more days. The arguement was there was a notice in the paper and that should have been sufficient for all. Needless to say I took a driving class. It still cost eight hours of my time and about $150.00 in city fees and driving class fees.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Steve,

I talked to some of our police and CHP here and they told me that if the car was registered as before they had shoulder belts then the lap belt was ok. But I don't trust that as we are also having a huge push on giving tickets for seat belts. Same story. Counties need money, get it any way you can. I have just always worn mine because it is easier than pushing them aside and I feel they might give me a little more protection if I did ever have an accident. My 1965 Comet just has the lap belt and they can't see if I have it fastend or not and by the law they need a reason to pull you over more than I just wnated to check to see if you have your seat belt fastened. I always wear that one too as I just feel as if my pants are unhooked if the seat belts aren't fastened. Get old and get paranoid.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 05-26-2003, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SVM7688, 427 FE med riser, doug nash 5-speed, 3.54 9 inch locker.
Not Ranked     

John,
As for missouri you need to have / wear what ever the car came with from factory, since yours is registered as a 65, I would say lap belts should do, I own a 23 tee bucket also (titled as 23) and since they did'nt have belts I don't have to have / wear them here, hope this helps, have a great trip. Don
Old 05-26-2003, 01:07 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: - Unique - 302 - 4 spd. -
Not Ranked     

I would guess that most states will enforce the law to the point that if belts were in the car when manufactured, then whether they be lap or lap/shoulder, then that's all you need to wear.

But instead of getting into a pi$$ing contest with the cop that stops you because he can see the shoulder belts are not is use..... whether on not they were in origional cars ..... you would probably be better off in the long run just to wear the whole combination....... or take them off the car if it's too much bother.
Old 05-26-2003, 01:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     
Talking I have it!

Why not sew a part of a belt on to the shoulder of your shirt, so "it looks" like you have a shoulder harness on......

In Missouri, if it is titled as a 65, you only need lap belts.

Eric
Old 05-26-2003, 08:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the quick replys guys. I guess that we'll be in Texas for only five hours so I'll probably put the shoulder harness on. I hear 'ya about the countys all needing money right now. Our state, county, and city have spent themselves broke and they are looking at the eastern states and their tax laws so that we can have more "creative" taxes out here. Hope to see you all at the DVSFIII.