SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2003, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Does anyone have a Carbon Fiber Body Cobra?

Just doing a little homework here. I've heard/read alot of back and forth about various Carbon Fiber Bodies avialable. Never spoke to anyone who actually owns one.

Anybody actually have one? I'd like to hear your general feedback on it, ie fit/finish, weight savings, what builder it is etc.

Thanks!

-Patrick
Old 12-12-2003, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

Factory Five offered one for a while, but no longer. They are near impossible to get a good finish on, I saw one at the FFR Nationals and you could see the weave though the paint.
Apparently the body only weighs @ 100lbs, compare to 200lbs for the standard FFR glass body.

Mike
Old 12-12-2003, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Shelby's website says you can get Carbon Fiber on CSX4000 as an option. If it is anything like the Series 1 it may be nice. Anyone know if it's still available?
Old 12-12-2003, 04:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: F5 Roadster
Not Ranked     
Arrow

A few years ago a one off carbon fiber cobra body was put on an indy car style frame, I saw it at the paint shop. They fired up the SVO 302/auto to move it, pretty sounds. It had a 250 hp nitros plate on it also. The body man said the carbon fiber took alot of work to prep and paint jet black. It was 4 " lower than my cobra,real sleek, 1,800 lbs. It went to a rich guy in the interior of B.C. So someone has a fast snake in their collection.
Perry.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Robnell, 351W, Tremec 3555 Road Race
Not Ranked     

Robnell uses Kevlar, similar. The body is extremely strong and light. Paint quality is very good.

Samurai

I've learned the line is an ellusive thing, easily shown, but rarely remembered.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: not yet
Send a message via AIM to machineman
Not Ranked     

Yes Shelby does still offer a carbon fiber body. I think it sells between 55k-60k. go to www.shelbyamerican.com check out the dealer list pick one you would like to deal with.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What of the Shelby's quality/weight savings relative to cost? Anyone have a Carbon Shelby?

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2003, 10:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

as far as I understand laying up a body in carbon fibre by itself will not save you much weight.
only once you go into high temperature / vacuum (AUTOCLAVE) production method the whole process works towards weight saving and gain in strength

I have my own body (mould) and get bodies weighing about 100 lbs in glassfibre. nothing special about that.

there are so many variations now in (glass) fibremats one can buy and resins that the possibilities in fibre itself are numerous.

speak to a local boat builder or bullet proof west manufacturer.

I would lay up on in carbon just for the looks, but getting all the bubbles out can be a mission - unless vacuum is applied.

dom, cape town
Old 12-13-2003, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Carbon 320 AFR
Not Ranked     

I have a FFR carbon body and had a lot of print thru but after the body was a year old I resanded it and buffed it out and have not had a problem since. This was the procedure Mark Smith told me to do when I bought it in 97. I since have been working with different manufacturers to do our Canam Exotics T-70 bodies and have found that you can get a good finish if the body is cured properly in an autoclave.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford (not a real one), 03 Mustang 4.6
Send a message via Yahoo to SonicBlue_03
Not Ranked     

Resurrecting a dead thread here.....

Would a carbon fiber body also provide more durability over fiberglass in terms of paint lifespan? I'm thinking in terms of spider-webbing and cracking.

Of course, I have no idea if this is actually a problem, so I'm asking more than anything. Any thoughts?
Old 06-07-2004, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

FYI
Shell Valley offers a Kevlar body
Old 06-07-2004, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates,SBF 357
Not Ranked     

I have seen the Shelby carbon fiber body. It looks to be high quality, but I don't think the cost is justifed. I would spend the money on an aluminum body.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford (not a real one), 03 Mustang 4.6
Send a message via Yahoo to SonicBlue_03
Not Ranked     

Thanks - from a cost perspective and for the amount of time I want to put in on this next year, I've been looking a bit at the Shell Valley one (fired off an email today with some questions.)