SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2004, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Would like a 427...
Not Ranked     
Arrow new guy here.

Hi folks,
First time Cobra builder here. I won't ask the question "how cheap can I go" I already admitted I'll need 50k to get rolling! Anyway my question is.... has anyone built their own frame then finished it off with a kit? I may be able to cut some corners with my welding contacts and use the savings to finish the project right. I purchased the plans from www.cobrarestorers.com for 200 bones. Any advice?

(oh and finally does anyone have a pic of a black cobra with gold stripes?)

Julian
Old 01-31-2004, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #101, 342 stroker
Not Ranked     

Unless you are already an experienced fabricator, you will probably spend more by making the frame yourself. Most Cobra bodies are not interchangable with other companies frames and vice-versa. Then if you make the frame, you will probably spend more money altering the glass body to fit the frame for the reason mentioned above. In my opinion, you are already $200 in the hole for the plans. But don't worry, there hasn't been a build yet that doesn't have $200 in wrong spending yet. I myself am selling a toploader that won't work for my application because it seemed like a good idea at the time (more than $200 also ).
As for your $50K idea of funding, you don't have to cut any corners to get a beautiful Cobra anyway. If you really want to do the build, look at Unique on the affordable side and ERA on the top side of your budget. If you want a Cobra quick, there are many great choices in the re-sale market under $50K, and you let someone else take the initial hit on depreciation if you shop right.
Welcome to the crazy world of Cobra options and decisions

P.S. If you search in the "Progress reports" section of the Backdraft Racing site www.backdraftracing.com you will see a couple of cars that are Black with Bronzemist stripe. Really a sharp color combo.

Last edited by tfarhood; 01-31-2004 at 02:05 PM..
Old 01-31-2004, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter with a 4.6 supercharged
Not Ranked     

Julian,

As a builder of kits for customers I do not recommend building your own frame. Having dealt with a "Home Made" Cobra that someone brought us to repair I can tell you it is less money to get a professional built frame and body compo that spending the hours it would take for cutting and jigging a frame. It is not just a matter of laying out all of the parts on the floor and going to town with a welder. Fixing that kind of thing so it will work correctly is more money that the frame would cost trust me!

Bruce Edwards
Gemini Motorcars Inc.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Build your own frame? Bad idea for reasons mentioned above.

And, if you have $50k for this project, you don't have to cut any corners, or open your toolbox, much less your welder. $50k can buy you a turn key, drive away, tax, title, tags, and out-the-door brand new '66 Cobra.

Some of the best deals are used cobras, and partially completed kits. Then your $50k will buy you a Cobra to build, and a shop/garage to build it in. Seriously.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter with a 4.6 supercharged
Not Ranked     

I agree with Jack21.
We build cars out the door starting at 40,000. You can get a really sharp car for 50,000. Why cut corners if you have that kind of cash to spend on the car you want?

Bruce Edwards
Gemini Motorcars Inc.

Last edited by Bruce Edwards; 01-31-2004 at 03:55 PM..
Old 01-31-2004, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't own a Cobra. But love them so much, am Chief Operating Office of a company that builds them.
Not Ranked     

At PREMIER, we do it for a living. Trust me....AT LEAST purchase a fabricated frame from a reputable company who will also sell you a quality body which is designed to fit on that frame.

There are VERY FEW combinations from different manufacturers that will fit together without EXTENSIVE modification(s). In fact, you likely will have thoughts of "what in the hey hoo have I got myself into" before the frame/body mating gig is over.

Building a DIY can be easy.....or hard.....or impossibly difficult. It's yo' nickle.

Bob Lockett, Chief Operating Officer
PREMIER MotorSports, LLC
Old 01-31-2004, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default wow...

ok...that's what this forum is for.... I ask.... I get advice. It hurts to hear the truth but I've learned through experience to listen to advice before you decide on what to do.

Bob, I also e-mailed you the same question and after reviewing your web site I see you do it all. So if I like to stay busy building for a year or two with my kids maybe I should order a frame and use it as my building block. We should talk Bob.

Julian
Old 01-31-2004, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Julian,

Before you get to overly excited, I notice now that you are in Windsor, Ontario. Was that $50k USD or Canadian ?

If its Canadian, you can still do OK, but making your own frame is not in the budget!

Good luck, and keep asking questions.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking yeah Windsor Ontario

Pros & cons of living in Windsor Ontario. Turn key kits can not be easily brought across the border unless it's 15 years old. I been through it with my Pontiac Mera. Buying parts is not an issue. Then there's the emission standards that a 2004 kit would have to comply with. On the good side.... I work at Ford & know every machine builder in the area. So I have a good friend who can make anything. A static frame is no problem for him as long as it's dimensioned. However there are only a few places that make kits for original tube frames. Premier Cobras is winning my votes as far as cost & orriginality. I have one guy here near Windsor but he uses a 96 inch wheelbase & a wider track (I think so you can use a doner).... anyway once I get my prints I'll decide what way to go..... so far leaning towards buying the frame.

Julian
Old 02-01-2004, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Unhappy what kit

OK I may as well ask..... and please no offence to any manufacturers out there but I need a survey. List me:

your favourite low end manufacturer...=
your favourite for the buck kit...=
your favourite tubular (original) frame based kit...=

Julian
Old 02-01-2004, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm no expert on the Canadian rule or offerings by kit companies, but for a tubular frame (not original) actually better engineered is the Factory Five frame. It is incredibly strong. As for bang for the buck, if you use a donor car, Factory Five is still right up there.

Your best bet may be to buy a second hand finished Cobra. Someone else figured out all the rules and regs and got it done. As for making changes to it if you wish, then you can. I don't think there are too many replicas out there that are ever really finished. Their is always something else to do to it no matter what.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Julian:
If your budget is in USD, 50K from ERA will get you a turn-key with a 428 from one of the high end manufacturers. The only draw back there is the wait (a year plus) but you have one he!! of a machine that you can truly drive away.
Too many other options out there to mention.
Advice: Look at the different manufacturer's links and web sites and do searches on the forum for the issues that would concern you. Don't cast anything in stone until you've done your research. Things, you and the world change rapidly and serious though can result in changes to your "final" choice up to the last minute.
My ERA has been on order since last June and is due (with any luck) by this June or July. In the past 7 months I've come up with 3 major changes and 8 minor from my original order and, while I'm pretty sure I'm "there" it won't surprise me a bit if there are more. One of the advantages of the long wait is the chance to look at the want vs need things in the build and make any changes before the project is started resulting in a truely personal car which, in a great part, is what the "build" part is all about.
DonC