SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 02-02-2004, 11:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     
Default Need Advice: Heat Resistant Electric Tape for Engine Compartment

I have to rewrap a few wires in my Cobra's engine compartment. During the heat of the late Summer, the electric tape that I used to wrap the wire harness seemed to "weep" adhesive and become rather tacky. I really do not like this.

So, is there a heat resistant electric tape designed for under the hood engine compartment? I want to stay period correct so do NOT want to use the Zip Loom type of high temp polyethylene covering.

Any pointers as to what to use that is black?

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 02-02-2004, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR4067, 393W
Not Ranked     

Have you looked at this?

http://www.eastwoodcompany.com/itemd...5063&Dep_Key1=

Ed
Old 02-02-2004, 11:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

Try the self adhesive silicone "tape" it bonds to itself, there is not adhesive, it is very temp resistant, great electrical insulator, I have it in orange, black, and grey, and I can't rememer where I bought it.

McMaster-Carr sells it (part # 7643A39) , so do others.

do a quick search for silicone self adhesive tape

Last edited by Mr.Fixit; 02-02-2004 at 01:19 PM..
Old 02-02-2004, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gave it to Russ
Not Ranked     

I use 3M electrical tape. It stays wrapped even when used in the ole' engine bay. Very good tape and can pick up virtually anywhere.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the pointers guys. In fact the 3M electrical tape type Scotch 35 (the good stuff) is what got stickey.

I am thinking about using this...

http://www.eastwoodco.com/itemdy00.a...5000&Dep_Key1=

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 02-02-2004, 02:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Art:
There is a tape made out of essentially the same stuff as heatshrink but I can't tell you where to get any right off the top of my head. Give me a day or so to scare some up and I'll let you know.
DonC
Old 02-02-2004, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Don. There is a self bonding silicone tape that within 24 hours bonds and seals itself. I do like the idea of the tape I posted a link to. In my opinion, the friction attach is good especially for wiring so that you do not get sticky residue left behind when you have to work on the wires and unwrap them.

I had to separate my MSD wires from the proximity of the Tach wires so that I was not getting tach "bobble" via inductance. They were acting like a radio antenna and picking up ghost readings and sometimes doubling up the RPMs. Weird. That was fixed by rerouting them and using the MSD Tach Adaptor. Solid as a rock now. Just that the rewrap job I did tended to "Bleed" adhesive. Ugch. It has taken me a long time to get that tape off and clean up the wires. The heat from the manifolds on the 428 tends to soften up the adhesive.

Cheers

Old 02-02-2004, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Art,
Scotch #27 is High Temp. glass tape BUT it is white. Available at Electrical supply houses.

Cranky
Old 02-02-2004, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I highly recommend 3M Scotch 33+. You can buy at some hardware stores, Home Depot or elec. supply houses.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

1) No electrical tape under the hood. It gets soft and gooey, and unravels. Use shrink wrap, and lube the connections underneath so they don't corrode. Dielectric grease, or wheel bearing grease works fine. Shrink wrap is available at hardware stores, Radio Shack, etc.

2) You really want to put your wiring looms in some kind of outer covering. It looks so much neater and professional. Plain GM style black vinyl corrugated works fine.

3) Get your !!#%@#% headers or exhaust manifolds ceramic/aluminum coated inside and outside so you're not melting all the plastic and vinyl under your hood (and making your footwells feel like brick kilns). This is a "Got to do", not an option.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4761, KCR Shelby Alloy 496,760hp
Send a message via AIM to misfit41
Not Ranked     

if it is possible to get to the connections with cutting,I would think about heat shrink,best place to buy is electrical supply houses where you get home wiring /fixtures etc,,like a buck for 4'
Tim

"this whole Adult thing just isnt working for me "
Old 02-04-2004, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     
Smile

I prefer heat shrink. Looks very professional. All the electrical tape I have tried turns into a gooey mess. The self vulcanizing tape is also good.
Steve

Last edited by Steve R; 02-04-2004 at 04:32 PM..
Old 02-04-2004, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Wiring Harness Tape that has no adhesive on the back and is period correct in dull black just came in from Eastwood. I just tried it out on some wires here in the shop. Perfect to use. It is a marvel how it holds on to itself. Good part about it is that when you take it off it leaves no residue on the wires.

This is nice stuff. I will let you know at the end of next summer how it holds up in the hot rigors of the engine bay.

Old 02-05-2004, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

RED,

You will not have a problem with what you used and is actually the best option, this is what I used throughout my complete build. The corugated conduits over time will cause "chaffing" of your wires inside the conduit. It is best to have your wires tightly wrap so the do not vibrate against each other.

John
Old 02-05-2004, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the reassuring words John. I have not been too thrilled with the look of the corrogated plastic conduit. I purchased some and thought of using it in the engine compartment but frankly it just looked too bling bling even in black. I think the traditional black wrap will be just right in this application. Thanks