SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2004, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Brand builders
Not Ranked     
Default No wiring No tightening Header bolts ever again

If you haven't drilled and wired your Header Bolts, are you tired of tightening Header Bolt Fasteners?
From the SEMA show, Coloardo Cobras now has the patented Split Lock fasteners available.

This is an Allen bolt with-in a Header bolt.

After installing the Split-Lock™Locking Fastener header bolt, you use a high quality hex key wrench to tighten the set pin to expand the split tip of the fastener to friction lock the fastener in place.

This actually forces the threads, that are on the fastener, into the root of the threads of the threaded hole or nut to lock the fastener. This operation also locks the set pin by spreading the split tapered seat in the fastener to lock the set pin.
The fastener can be removed by simply loosening the set pin and screwing out the fastener.

The Split-Lock™ Mechanical Locking Fastener can be used over and over with the same effect. Vibration, heat or torque dependence will not affect its locking ability. heat or torque dependence will not affect its locking ability.
Split-Lock™ fasteners can be used over and over with the same locking effect.

Prices range from $70-90 plus shipping and handling, depending on engine application.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

Sounds neat, but due to the price, I'll stick with safety wire.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Don't you think it is the gasket that is the problem and not the fastener loosening? As the engine goes through its first few heat cycles the thing expands and contracts, right? The gasket gets flattened out because of all this reulting in a leak.

The cure is to tighten your header bolts after the first few heat cycles.......once this is done you have no more problem.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

Pat,

Some car's header bolts just like to unscrew themselves. I had a 69 Camaro with that problem. Thin flanges on the headers contribute to that problem.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The guy who invented these got tired of re-tightening his Corvette headers.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft # 91, Black w/White stripes and Red Rookie's, 302 w/AFR 185's.
Not Ranked     

Try Earls header gaskets...aluminum with replaceable graphite seals....only $35 from Summit....no more loose bolts. I've tried the split c-clip bolts....they do work. You still have to use some kind of gasket, I took care of both problems with one item.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

These Split Locks are probably the cure for header bolts that tend to loosen.

Fortunately, mine don't. CR factory headers have a fairly thick, one piece flange, and are ceramic coated. sed the FelPro copper gasket, and some copper RTV to seal 'em up. Used ARP header bolts which incorporate a lock washer, and they've stayed tight.

Header to "J" pipe uses factory composite gaskets, copper RTV, hardware store stainless nuts, bolts, and lockwashers and they stay tight also.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

Safety wire is the way to go. Granted, it's not easy. Just get pre-drilled bolts and use small twisters. The bolts will never loosen. That's why safety wire is used in aircraft.

Here are the wired bolts on my Mustang headers:

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 02-10-2004, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[quote]Originally posted by speed220mph

[b]Safety wire is the way to go. Granted, it's not easy.

That was my point, they're not easy. To make them look good you should buy wire twisting pliers.

Instead, these Split-Locks go in as a strandard bolt! When you're done, tighten the allen nut center!

Furthermore they are reusable..."did you say reusable? Gee I can't do that with the darn aircraft wire!" They also don't rust or corode...

Hey, if you like laying in the driveway twisting wire, have fun. I want to tighten the #$%^%&* bolts and drive. Any time and frustration saving device under $100 has got my name on it! I don't even like changing oil...I just wanna drive!

That's why I am...
Don "the office guy"