SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2004, 09:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Project "X" underway....twin turbo V6, AWD...
Not Ranked     
Question Garage Floor Coatings?

I'm planning to FINALLY get my garage floor painted this summer, and I'm getting as much info/opinions as possible.

So far, I've researched UCoat-It, FlecTec, Muscle Gloss, POR15, Epoxy Shield, Griot's, Sherwin-Williams, and Martin-Senour.

For those of you who have already been through this, please pass along your comments, opinions, advice, etc.., both good and bad. "Real world" experience is always better than a sales pitch.

Thanks in advance!
~Dave
Old 03-01-2004, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

Dave:
Check out a few of these recent threads. They had some good info:

What do people recommend for Garage Floor finishes?

Epoxy paint or snap together tiles for the garage??

Have fun!

Russ
Old 03-01-2004, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Russ!

My fault, I should have mentioned I did a search, read through everything already here. I'm just looking for any new experiences anyone may have had.

Also, I've researched Wonderpaint, and their product called Like Nu. Anyone familiar with it? Seems like good stuff, environmentally friendly, easier and quicker to apply. I hope to call them tomorrow for more info.

Still welcoming any comments...
~Dave
Old 03-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

While I have not yet replaced the two part painted surface which lifted after two years ( prep was flawless ) did get an opinion from a professional . Always have the moisture content of the cement measured, even after many years of age.

There are some floors he would not apply the coating due to the excessive moisture reading, rather not risk the chance the application would not adhere.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #676, 428SCJ (2x4), TKOII
Not Ranked     

I'm went with UCOAT-IT ...I have the materials already...just waiting to clean out the garage before I can begine prep and application. I have not heard one negative comment from previous users

"There are 10 types of people out there....the ones that understand binary and the zeros that don't."
Old 03-02-2004, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don, I've read about the moisture problems, and what can happen because of it. This is what makes the Like Nu look very promising. It allows water vapor to pass UP through, but will not allow water to soak DOWN from the top. Kinda like Gortex, if you will.

Hope to have more info on that today.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Brand builders
Not Ranked     

RACE DECK, RACE DECK, RACE DECK

We just used Race Deck at the Denver Auto Dealers Car show. 2X2 foot checkerboard with red trim edges.

Even the big car reps (Ford etc...) were saying "Nice presentation"
They also said we had the smallest display (17X25) and our one Unique Motorcars Cobra and a rolling chassis, were attracting more people than their 1.6 million dollar concept cars and trucks.

As far as race deck. It won't peel, cleans EZ and best of all is removable/portable. Should you move, so will it!

This stuff is great....and I am not a sales rep for Race Deck....yet?

Don "the office guy"
Old 03-11-2004, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Race Deck does indeed look very nice. It's just not what I'm looking for.

My order went in today to Wonder Paint. Jim hooked me up with a great package deal, everything I need to complete the job. This stuff just sounds fantastic, so I'm hopeful it will be exactly that.

I plan to do the job in May, when the weather warms up, and drys out. I'll post my experience, and a before/after pic.

If anyone wants more info, PM me. These guys have some great products.
~Dave
Old 03-13-2004, 06:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Marine Boat Coating

Has anyone heard of using the marine boat coating AwlGrip on the garage floor ? . AwlGrip has products for both above and below the water line

http://www.awlgrip.com/
Old 03-13-2004, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Don,
Never gave it a thought! But, you might have an idea there. That is some really tough stuff! I'm sure someone has a thought as to why not? I'd sure like to hear it,
Ed "DV" Combs
Old 03-13-2004, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Hi guys! I'm pretty new here (but I've been lurking for awhile learning a lot along the way). I'm interested in doing my garage floor as well. Has anyone heard of a product called Stardek? It's from a company called Color-Crown (www.colorcrown.com) out of Tampa. It is a Zylene based concrete sealer that is "supposed" to be "resistant" to most chemicals (even battery acid) and against chipping and peeling. My only concern is, it only comes with a 1 yr warranty. This same company will also apply Epoxy if you want it (at twice the price), but they say it really isn't necessary for a garage application.
There is a company called Durabond (www.toughfloors.com) in the Chicago area (Lisle) who has a good product that comes with a 5 yr guarantee. It's not a "paint" or "sealant" of any kind; it's a ceramic based formula that bonds to the concrete. It's kind of rubbery when dry, but seems VERY durable. -Just a little too pricy for me.
Anyone have any experience with the Zylene based sealers?
Old 03-13-2004, 08:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Inquiry to AwlGrip

DV

Will post the response I receive from AwlGrip:

Subject: Contact for Awlgrip.com
Date: March 12, 2004 10:10:49 PM EST
To: beth.behrhorst@awlgrip.us

Can the Awlgrip product be used to coat a cement garage floor ? If so, please specify additional details and recommended preparation etc., etc., etc

Don

PS: My understanding, AwlGrip products, enamel, are also used on airliners, anyone with aviation experience, correct or ?

Last edited by Don; 03-13-2004 at 09:14 AM..
Old 03-16-2004, 03:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Reply from AwlGrip

Response received from AwlGrip when requesting information on using their product for cement garage floors:

" Thank you for your inquiry, however we have not tested the use of Awlgrip on cement, therefore cannot provide a recommendation/details of application nor the durability/adhesion of its use in this situation._ Our apologies that we cannot help you at this time. "
Old 03-16-2004, 03:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Response from Wonder Paint

Dave had mentioned ordering from Wonder Paint, I asked them about using their product on older garage floors:

" Revisit the LikeNu site and find the picture of the automotive rack. That was 50 year old concrete under an area that daily gets heavy petroleum contamination.
The rack was first done in July 2002. It was so successful the entire shop floor was coated in December 2002. As of 4 days ago the owner is still very happy with the performance and cleanability of the floor.

The shop floor was done with the standard LikeNu system with the heavy-duty urethane top coat. Approximate material price is 95 cents a square foot.

I have a running argument with a contractor in Ohio. He says you don't need the urethane ... the normal acrylic sealer has worked great on his garage floor for over 2 years. Approximate material price of LikeNu system without the urethane is 55 cents a square foot.

The contractor's kit is designed to do 3000 sq. ft. for $900 that's .34/sq. ft. not including cement and shipping.

Any additional questions let me know.

Cordially,

Jim Shofstall
support@wonderpaint.com
618 988-1067

LikeNu: http://www.wonderpaint.com/asa603/likenu.shtml
Instructions: http://www.wonderpaint.com/asa603/dodriveway.shtml
Price List: http://www.wonderpaint.com/asa603/1polycprices.pdf

CHOICE IS ??????????
Old 03-16-2004, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Re: Garage Floor Coatings?

Dave and All - for a successful job, I suggest you re-read carefully the details again I outlined in the second post noted earlier.....the ASTM standards should be followed very carefully - especially on an old floor. Watch the so called breathable coatings...think about what they are saying...does it hold up to logic? In my industry of industrial floor linings, every manufacturer has had "failures"......probably 99% are related to surface prep......

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/sho...ht=garage+floor.

Quite simply, it's NOT the brand of the material - its the surface prep. Let me repeat - it's the surface prep - regardless of the material you select. Good luck with it - a properly done epoxy floor looks awesome.

Quote:
Originally posted by dalola

So far, I've researched UCoat-It, FlecTec, Muscle Gloss, POR15, Epoxy Shield, Griot's, Sherwin-Williams, and Martin-Senour.

For those of you who have already been through this, please pass along your comments, opinions, advice, etc.., both good and bad. "Real world" experience is always better than a sales pitch.

~Dave [/b]

Enjoyment may be 9/10's anticipation, but that last 10% is oh so sweet....
Old 03-17-2004, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

SnakeBitt,
Sorry, I did not research any of those products, so I'm no help. Even though my decision has been made, I encourage you to continue your research. One of those options may be better for your application.

Don,
I warned Jim he might be getting a few more inquiries from some Cobra guys! He's been so helpful making sure I understand everything, and get the results I want. I decided to go the full process, with the urethane top coat. I figure I'm doing it, do it once, do it right! Even with this step, I feel the price is still very competitive. Are you leaning this direction now?

Luke-44,
You are right, most folks I've talked to stress the prep as most important. I plan to use(per Jim's recommendations..) a microbial cleaner first for oil contamination, then a general d-limonene cleaner, then a special hydrochloric etching material, then the 4-step coating process. I feel confident I'll get good results. As to the "breathable" coatings, it made a lot of sense to me! But I'm no chemist, so perhaps you would like to explain further your hint of skepticism. I figure Gortex works pretty darn well, so maybe this will too!
~Dave
Old 03-17-2004, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave - Goretex is a woven fabric......that I can buy. The only "breathable" coatings I am aware of are so called water repellants used on building exteriors.

If you have a moisture vapor transmission problem, I am not sure I would proceed with a coating without fixing the source (expensive) of the moisture.

Good luck

Enjoyment may be 9/10's anticipation, but that last 10% is oh so sweet....
Old 03-17-2004, 04:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default CHOICE

Dave:

Not sure whether the garage floor will be redone with tiles or a coating. This time, I will have the moisture measured. The last time, I thought the floor prep directions were followed, but the coating still lifted after 2 years, but not in the tire pathway.

Have always wanted the floor to look like the NASCAR race shops as seen on TV. Does anyone know the product the professional race shops use ?

Don
Old 03-22-2004, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Car #17 Backdraft Racing - Red/Pearl white stripes & 302
Send a message via AIM to Jetlaag
Not Ranked     

How does one measure the moisture content in the concrete of a garage floor??

Would you tape down a piece of plastic on a section of the floor?

If so how do you measure the content of the moisure??

Just curious as I am ready to paint my garage floor and am looking for any ideas for a cool paint scheme on the walls of the garage.

Jetlaag
Old 03-22-2004, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics (B&B) Cobra, 408W, Roush Heads, Demon Carb, Comp Cam, Tremec Z-Spec T5, 9" Auburn Rear
Not Ranked     

This might sound crazy, but how about stick-down vinyl tile. I was thinking about race deck too, but don't want to spend 5 dollars per square foot. I can alternate black and white vinyl stick down tiles from home depot for 97 cents a piece and make a checker pattern. Any reason why this wouldn't work?