SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2004, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Roller rockers in a 427

I am in the process of building a 427 and would like to use roller rockers. An aquaintance who has built several 427's told me that for street driving roller rockers are not the answer. He claims that they do not get enough oil under normal street driving conditions and are prone to failure. Is this true and if so is there a solution ie high volume oil pumt etc? I have a Comp cam and set of Comp roller rockers that I was planning to use.

Thanks for your thoughts

Don
Old 04-08-2004, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have two FE's and both use roller rockers, the side-oiler/Jessel's & 428 CompCams system. Ironically, the adjustment you need to make is to LIMIT the oil to the head with an oil restrictor .090 hole in the center and about an inch long. George Anderson of Gessford Machine sells them ready to go or have your machine shop make them - one per side. Most fella's and I included use a Melling HV pump rather than HP unit. Oil pressure should be between 30-40 psi at idle and 75-95 wide open. Some will go outside of these parameters but around there you'll be fine. Don't worry about roller rockers in an FE - just reduce the oil to the head!
Old 04-10-2004, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Don,

I'm running Erson roller rockers in mine with no problems but I have only about 2500 miles on them so far. From what I see on this bulletin board it seems like the majority of Cobra owners are running roller rockers. If they were as problematic as your friend claims, I would expect that they'd be a pretty hot topic on the board.

Chris
Old 04-10-2004, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cracker Have you looked into using hydro lifters with hollow pushrods with these rockers? I don't have my ersons yet but have adjustable iron rockers with this setup in my motor and no problem. I am limited the RPM to 6K chip in the MSD 6AL. I also have a small cam, 501-533. Car runs smooth with a 4 degree retard. Plenty of tork. Runs 12.50 in the 1/4 mile. Small block lifter are the same width but .300 long then solids. Would have to get special push rods from Smith brothers. They cost 150.00$ just my 2 cents. Rick Lake
Old 04-10-2004, 05:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Don,

I have roller rockers in both the stroker and big block and have had no problems at all with them. Have Cranes in the stroker and Ersons in the B/B.

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 04-11-2004, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

I heard the same thing ,but I was asking about roller lifters.I have Dove roller rockers .flat tappet cam w/ shell lifters.tubular pushrods.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Rick - If your talking about the Jesel's when asking about the hydro lifters and hollow pushrods then it would be No & Yes. We plugged the head oiling system (FE) and used solid lifers with oiling provisions through the pushrods to each rocker arm (Chevy system) which is an improvement for a real performance build anyway. The Comp (Dove) system retains the FE design and have not had any problems with them either and yes these are hydro lifters. Sorry if I didn't answer your question.

Michael C. Henry - I used to live in Tacoma! My father was stationed at Ft. Lewis and I still have friends and family there. I almost always stay with friends who live in University Place when in town - we should get together next time and I'll contact you in advance.

Last edited by Cracker; 04-12-2004 at 05:03 AM..
Old 04-12-2004, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

I work at Fort Lewis I could use a hand,still twinkng with the wiring

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 04-15-2004 at 05:58 PM..
Old 04-12-2004, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My father's best friend lives there in University Place - Butch Malstrom, he is a certified gear head and very knowlegdable. I'm sure he'd love to help if there is something that requires a third hand. Heck, he'd just love to see your project! If you want some help call me on my cell and we'll get you connected.

404-518-0412 cell