SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2004, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     
Default Painless Problems Again

I posted a thread on two terminals being dead a week ago....Since my car is now 2.5 hours away, I can just go work on it on the weekends.

When I went back I did some more testing. I don't really care if the two terminals are bad....I won't need them....and just as long as they don't cause any other problems, I could just forget about them.

But this next problem intrigues me.

I went through with a tester (one shaped like a screwdriver with a light inside) and tested each terminal again. Once with the key off to test the ones that are constantly hot and once with the key on to test the ones that are keyed hot.

The light lit up for everyone except for the two that were mentioned previously.....but....

I noticed that on the "dome light" terminal (which is not hooked up to anything and never will be) the light wasn't as bright as all the others.

Now why would this be? Would there be something with the fact that it's a dome light? Is this light dim because it's supposed to be ran through another switch or a rheostat? Or is it dim because there's something on the connection in the fuse panel itself causing resistance?

All other items that are wired in right now work perfectly without a hitch....so I thought if there was something backfeeding or causing a problem, it would present itself elsewhere.

So far I have the gauges connected, a headlight switch to turn the gauge lights on, a fuel pump, the key switch of course, and the MSD ignition crap.

Last edited by blykins; 10-13-2004 at 02:12 PM..
Old 10-13-2004, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Your "dome light" is drawing juice through a resistance somewhere. Better find it and explain it, or disconnect it.

Dome lights usually work as a complete-the-ground circuit. The hot wire runs through the bulb(s), then to a grounding switch on the door. A voltage at the switch would read the resistance of the dome light bulb.

So, if you have a dome light wire, and no dome or courtesy light, you have???
Old 10-13-2004, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There's not even a wire......it's just a screw on the terminal block on the fuse panel with a "dome light" label beside of it like the rest of them are. There is nothing hooked to it....not even a wire.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ttt
Old 10-14-2004, 06:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

Have you contacted Painless Tech? Maybe you have a bad fuseblock.

Roscoe
Old 10-14-2004, 06:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Could you be checking a lug with a reostat inline? Check the voltage on terminal and then rotate headlight sw. for the dimming option = does it change with sw rotation?. The dash lights are designed to be adjustable and dome light (are very easy to swap 1 wire on headlight sw). The dome light circut is also a power always on deal and uses ground supplied by door sw to turn on.... check for that issue also

Last edited by vettestr; 10-14-2004 at 06:30 AM..