SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2004, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everrett-Morrison Cobra, 427W T-5 Z tranny
Not Ranked     
Question Sidepipe measurements on an Everett-Morrison

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone out there has a 351W or 302/289 in their E-M and would be willing to give me a measurement of the sidepipe opening from the bottom of the front wheelwell to the opening as well as the overall dimensions of their sidepipe opening. I intend on painting my car out of state and will be unable to get the measurements from my chassis as the engine has not been installed yet. I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 12-16-2004, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I should be able to help when I get home. But let's make sure we're talking about the same version of E-M. What wheelbase is your car and when was it manufactured?
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 12-16-2004, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tommy,

My car is the 90" wheelbase model. It was initially serialized as a 1985 model, but is registered as a 1987 ford convertible. I am in the process of changing over the drivtrain from a chevy smallblock, tranny and rear to all ford components. I have the opportunity to get it painted immediately by a friend of a friend, but don not have the chassis ready to accept the engine. Hence, I need the measurements of the pipes, prior to painting the car to ensure they will be accurate and no hacking of the body is necessary. I would greatly appreciate your assistance.

Thanks

Chris
Old 12-16-2004, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

Kinda risky.......

Tim
Old 12-16-2004, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What can I say, I am a "wild & crazy guy". Danger is my middle name. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. etc.... You get my point.
1992 LX 5.0 Convt
2005 Mustang GT
Old 12-17-2004, 01:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

Chris,
The opening should be the same for you current pipes. I would be willing to bet that you're going to run into problems with your new pipes. My EM was built around the same time as yours. I ordered a new set of pipes from EM, and they didn't come anywhere close to fitting. After calling EM and talking to them, I was told that during those years, they were experimenting with engine placement, and unless they had the old pipes, they couldn't make new ones. In your case switching from chevy to ford, I would have a local shop make you a set to fit the current hole. That's what I had to do.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Chris -
My EM car was built around 1995 with a 90" wheelbase and a 351 Windsor engine. The body is currently off the chassis. The best reference points I could find for the exhaust openings were the forward most surfaces of the footwell boxes and the bottom most edges of the body immediately next to the openings. Here are the dimensions on my car.
Driver Side : The opening is 5 1/2 inches wide by 5 inches high. The height was measured from the bottom edge of the body around the contour of the body using a flexible tape measure. The rear most edge of the opening is exactly flush with the forward most surface of the driver's footwell box. The corners of the opening are radiused about 1/2 inch.
Passenger Side : The opening is 5 3/4 inches wide by 5 inches high. The rear most edge of the opening is about 3/8 inch aft of the forward most surface of the passenger's footwell box. The corners are radiused.

One more observation from the guy who didn't build this car: The footwell boxes limit the aft position of the exhaust pipes. I see no reason why the opening should extend aft of the forward surface of the footwell box. I suspect the reason the opening on the passenger side of my car is larger than the opening on the driver side is because it was inadvertently placed too far back and then enlarged to compensate.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 12-17-2004, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

Tommy,
I don't think you can use the footboxes as a reference point. Sometime between the 80's and 90's the boxes were changed to use power brakes. They had 4 inches added to the height and don't know how much to the length. Best bet is to use wheelwell and bottom of body for measurements.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M , 5.0 efi
Not Ranked     

My EM body was made in '95. It is a 90" wheel base car.
The openings were cut by the factory.
I will use the inner wheel well as my measurent point. The front of the opening is 2 1/4 inches back from there. it is 5" long and only 3.5" up from the bottom of the body.

FYI I am using Factory 5 sidepipes with custom headers. they fit great.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: everett morrison 351w
Not Ranked     
Default em side pipe placement

My EM is a 96 on a 90 wb. The pipe opening starts 1/4 inch after the fender flare. The opening is 5 1/2 long and 4 1/2 up from bottom of the body.. Hope this will help