SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2005, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 04 SPF MK III, Dart 427
Not Ranked     
Question Best rear tire for a spf at the digs?

The best pass we can muster at the strip with our 600hp sbf superformance is an 11.7 at 120. This is with the stock P295/50R15's out back spinning well into third on our tko. Most ET calculators I have found say its capable of low ten's at over 130 with its weight to hp ratio.

What tire is capable of getting one of these to hook at the strip?

A little searching around here has found talk of running a 325/50 15 bfg drag radial with good results on the street but no posted ET's. Because these tires are not going to be used on the street we have also considered a slick such as a MT ET street or ET drag, although I'm not sure if this is even necessary. What's the consensus on this? Does anyone have some realworld results??

Old 02-21-2005, 06:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     
Default Slick

I've run a 10 sec qtr (127mph) with a 1.5sec 60 foot using hoosier slicks.
I've out run guys next to me that are pulling the front wheels on launch. The hoosiers will not spin.
I'm sure any slick will work for you, I only have been on the Hoosiers.
Goodluck
Old 02-21-2005, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Thanks for the info. That sounds like quite a ride!

If you don't mind me asking, what model and size hossier do you run? Stock wheels and no rubbing?? Getting one that will fit is our biggest concern.

Also, what's a ballpark on your cobra's hp and could you post the full results of one of its better runs?

This is just the type of stuff I'm looking for!!

Old 02-21-2005, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     
Default size

The hoosiers are the 28x9-15's d05 compound on stock (WAW) SPF rims.

They have only rubbed when doing victory donuts @ 12psi

Car is stock 800 series tko/8.8/shocks/springs/....

Engine is 521cubes (.030 overbore), unported SCJ heads, street roller cam. No porting or anything custom. Just a cheapie scat bolt together.

Hp is 700 before exhaust with carb spacer and velocity stack.
Hp is 650 with exhaust, air breather, no carb spacer.
Hp is 525 at rear wheels.

1.5 60 ft
1/8th 6.9 @ 101mph
1/4 10.9 @127

The 545 ci motor is being assembled as we speak
Old 02-21-2005, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Dustin' Stangs: I remember you posting once before about 1/4 mile times. I believe I mentioned to you about launching in 2nd gear...........have you tried this yet? Most guys with the TKO and 3.73 do this (I do) with success. First gear is useless when launching hard.
From what I've heard, the BFG drag radial is the way to go unless you want to go with the non DOT, big lettered GoodYears from RK. Great looking tire and VERY sticky.
I have a buddy with a 750hp SPF (527ci alum Shelby block from KC) that runs low 10's with the Yokohama's that are getting popular. Great street tire and they aren't very expensive.
I think he would either pull the front end off the ground, or worse yet, break something, if he went with a slick.
Sometimes it's a blessing if the tires spin. Better to spin then to have parts scattered all over the track!
Old 02-22-2005, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the stats webebob. And I thought our spf was over powered!!

Terryspf, I do remember that post and your tip about launching in second gear. We haven't had a chance to try that yet, damn michigan weather! It baffles my mind that this works, but we'll surely give it a try next time out. BTW, I am familiar with the bfg's, but what are the 'GoodYears from RK' and the 'Yokohama's' you refer to?? Additionally, what size of these do spf people run???