SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2005, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default SBF alloy block build sheet

Would like to be able to contact a good engine builder or someone who has experience with Dart or RDI alloy Ford smallblock. We are looking at a Dart 9.2" deck and Cleveland mains, 4-1.25" block.

The problem is my engine builder (I live in NZ) isnt interested in obtaining an "alloy" block for me unless he sees a build sheet, as he explained with his past experience with other makes of alloy engine blocks, they were rubbish, he doesnt have a problem with the cast iron block, but they are a bit heavy for my application. Its a bit like doing a good foundation before building!

The 1960's rocked!
Old 04-07-2005, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ant
I would advise you to have your alloy block sbf supplied and built in USA, i have looked into having a engine built by local engine builders in uk and have found that the real knowledge and skill of building these engines lies in the states. i think you would save some money as well by having the whole package done by somebody like Keithcraft or similar engine builders.
Adrian
Old 04-07-2005, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1374 with 392 RDI Stroker
Not Ranked     

Ant, I agree with Adrian. I lived in the UK when I had my RAM built and finally settled on getting a complete engine sent over. Built right, dynoed and ran in. In fact, RDI does make a mean alloy SBF which I have driven in a SPF.
Just my 2 cents

Mark
Old 04-07-2005, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default SBF Alloy build sheet

Hey guys thats good advice, but I am in New Zealand, and we have equally as good engine builders here, not plentifull like your big country, some of the best Indy car/Transam engine builders in the States, to name one Bob Slade etc, came from a city 50mile north on where I live. Also some of the best chassis race car builders mechanics in the world full stop are kiwis, and we can build things from nothing. I have an engine builder who builds some of the top engines and dynos them, and he is getting as good results on the dyno as you guys, plus I can supervise quality control.

All we want is to see a build sheet before we buy, and having contacted some supposedly top engine USA outfits, its like speaking to the boy that sweeps the floor, they dont know one end of the crank from the other, and communication is seriously floored. I personally have ordered many parts and on many occasions have received the wrong part. I am having a gripe at the moment because I get sick of dealling with idiots, and having said all that we have our share of them here in NZ as well!

I am going to recommend KC to my builder and we might buy all of our parts through him as he comes with a good reputation and I appreciate you guys giving me the info.

The 1960's rocked!
Old 04-07-2005, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

You might attempt to contact Raceparts Distribution Incorporated. (RCI) is a large Race Parts distributorship in Cornelius, North Carolina.
PH 704 892 8688, Fax 704 8967383.

Rick

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 04-07-2005, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default SBF

Hey Rick

Thanks I will forward the information on about RDI.

Another possible option is a guy called Joe Fontana automotive, apparently they make Clevor blocks etc for speedway etc at around similar pricing to Dart etc, have you heard of them?

The 1960's rocked!
Old 04-08-2005, 04:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Porsche 928 S4
Not Ranked     

Ant, you could order your block and balanced rotating stuff from K Craft. you would have a pallet with all the right parts show up ready to assemble, That's what I did. The longest wait might be several weeks for custom pistons.
Why the 9.2 Cleveland height deck? Dart makes a 9.5 deck with Cleveland mains, the only reason I can think of for a 9.2 deck may be to conform to NASCAR.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ant,
Call George at Gessford Machine. He has built and shipped completed motors to several countries and is wealth of knowledge.

http://www.gessford.com/
Old 04-09-2005, 12:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default SBF alloy block

I agree I have heard nothing but good about KC and George Gessford, and they are at the cutting edge of technology.
These guys are worth a shot to say the least, but at this stage we are still deliberating on what to actually run. Getting an engine built and shipped is a very good idea from either of those two guys.

I have read really good things about the Joe Fontana blocks, even though they are cleveland they share the best features of the windsor as well, and are rated at 750bhp plus, which is generally higher than other makes.

The 1960's rocked!