SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2005, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     
Default Is a 3/4" master cylinder too small for front brakes?

I'm using Wilwood GMIII single pot calipers on the fronts......would a 3/4" cylinder be too small? Should I go with an 1"?

I'm trying to find some small-sized cylinders since I have floor mounted pedals. Looking for a cylinder with the output fitting on the top instead of at the rear of the cylinder.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

Here's what I know about MC sizing... A smaller cylinder will put more pressure on the pads, but increase brake pedal travel. Mine are either 5/8ths or 3/4. The car had a 7/8 and 1 inch on when I bought it.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So you went down from an inch to a 3/4? I think my clutch and rear brake master cylinders are 3/4. I need a front one.

Anyone else?
Old 04-11-2005, 02:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

Basically yes. There were 2 different sized MC when I bought the car, 7/8 on the front and 1 inch on the rear. I went down in size because I wanted more pressure on the pads...manual brakes, but the pedal travel noticiably increased.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

In the interest of maintaining reasonable pedal force, I use 5/8 bore MCs. Yes the pedal travel is more than I'd prefer, but when I get on the pedal, at least enough pressure is generated to stop the car.

My pedal ratio is about 4:1, so I am disadvantaged in that way.

For 75 lb of pedal force (75 lb is more than you'd think) at a 4:1 ratio, with the balance bar set for 60% front and 40% rear, and using a 5/8 bore in both MCs, I produce about 586 psi front and 391 rear. I'd rather be doing about 750 psi, but for that I have to push harder than 75 lbs.

Just remember, larger bores require higher pedal force to produce the same braking action...
Old 04-11-2005, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter #28; 396 Cleveland stroker; more than 495 HP; TKO 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Do you have discs on the back?
My friend with vette brakes(no power) had to go to 5/8 frnt MC and 3/4 back MC inorder to get enough pressure to easily lock them without excessive pedal pressure. Standard is a 6/1 pedal ratio; ie, pedal length being 6in to pivot and 1" length to MC rod
gn
Old 04-11-2005, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm using 4 wheel disc brakes.....10" rotors with single pot calipers on the rear, 10" rotors with big single pot calipers on the front.

I'm also using a Tilton floor mounted pedal assembly. It's showing a 4.5:1 ratio.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

I have an older EM with intermediate GM 10.5" front rotors and Jag inboard rears.I'm usind twin 3/4" Tiltons with an adjustable balance bar, no power assist.
Hydralic clutch came with 7/8" Tilton master cylinder .Not enough travel at slave to get full release and have any free travel clearence for the throwout bearing .I changed to 15/16" master cylinder .Takes a little more effort but have both release and free travel. As i remember a master cylinder kit is about $60.any size.