SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2005, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf 351W stroked to 427
Not Ranked     
Default engine oil

Anyone using Delo 400 15w40 engine oil in their Cobra? I heard from my engine builder that a tech from Crower Cams said it was the best oil that they have seen for wear protection. Any comments on this?
Old 04-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: F5 Roadster
Not Ranked     
Arrow Good Stuff

Rick,
The delo chevron 15W40 is the only oil we run in our backup deisel generators for the province. I also ran it when I had my Ford pickup. Very good stability. It's a little heavy for the 460 in the cobra, I run Pennzoil 10W30 in the winter and 10W40 in the summer.
Perry.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, 302, a work in progress
Not Ranked     

Hi Rick:

For 15 years, I have worked for a crane rental company. We have over 50 cranes and the only oil we use it Delo 400.

So, in every car, truck and lawnmower I own it has Delo 400. We have never had any oil related issues. And yes, my cobra runs Delo 400 also!
Old 04-15-2005, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner/Builder of KMP142 427 Sideoiler, Tunnel Wedge, Aluminum heads, etc.
Not Ranked     
Default Diesel Oils in Cobra Engines

I have been using Mobil Delvac 15-40 in my sideoiler since built.

My understanding is that over the past several years the oil companies have been ordered by the EPA to remove zinc additives from their automobile oils. In doing so, they have significantly decreased the wear-in properties that zinc provides, particularly in older types of engines - in my case an FE. Diesel oils such as Delvac and Chevron Delo still contain significant amounts, however.

I have heard many builders recommend that motorcycle oils be used during break-in, as they still continue (although decreasing) to contain the zinc additive. Word is, they too will lose most of it as time passes, again due to EPA rules.

Several months ago, I stumbled onto a study done by an independent testing lab that showed the content of zinc and ash in currently available motor oils. I don't recall the web site, but a search should lead you to it.

My .02 cents...

Bud
Old 04-15-2005, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies on the oil issue. This all started two weeks ago when at 1500 miles my cam gear ate my distributor gear. I'm using the same Crower cast roller cam, replaced the Melling HV pump with a Melling standard pump, installing a new MSD iron gear, and going with the Delo 400 15W50. I hope this works, I don't want to miss WSCB.

Rick
Old 04-15-2005, 07:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Arrow Sorry to hear about your trouble.

Rick,
The stock volume pump is a good idea. There is also a clearance problem on 351's with the bottom of the distributor / oil pump shaft being too long and not letting the dist sit properly. I would check that clearance while your dist is out.
Good luck,
Perry.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Perry, Thanks for the heads up I'll double check the shaft length one more time. However the ware marks on the old distributor gear looked to have been mateing ok with the cam gear. I think the HV oil pump was the biggest problem. Say are you still going to be in this area before WSCB? Suzanne and I are so looking forward to this event. Should be a Great Time.

Rick
Old 04-15-2005, 09:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Arrow

Hey Rick,
I think some aftermarket shafts were a little long causing a problem.
We are hoping it'll warm up soon, it's cold and rainy up here.
If the weather co-operates we plan on going down the coast May 14th , will play it by ear for now,will let you know if we go through the wine country.
Perry.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

I by DELO in the 5 gal containers, like Bud, been running it since
I rebuilt the s/o.

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

I mentioned this way back and will again. MoS2 or, Molybdenum Disulfide. After break in add about a cup every 10,000 or so. Do a search and read.

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.