SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2005, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory 5 mk4 445 FE
Not Ranked     

Just as info to the unknowing.. You don't get to be Cranky by being a nice guy..Cranky is a ars hole.. and he earned it.. I'll ride with him anyday...
Stoneville,NC

My ex car. Sad to see it go.
http://www.ffcars.com/POM/nov2003pom.JPG
Old 04-22-2005, 06:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

Cranky doesn't speak for himself? If ol' X99 has never put his foot to the pedal in any car at a stoplight "race" shaping up, he's either lying or has one heck of a lot willpower.

We've been hearing him preach to us to "take it to the track" for years now. He is right in many ways....but.... I don't think he is as "innocent" as he portrays himself
Old 04-22-2005, 07:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Side note:
Yo G.R., I been studying that Holley book you sent me, it's really coming in handy now! Almost got the carbs "dialed in"! Thanks.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 bored 306: 370HP
Send a message via AIM to phatry5
Not Ranked     

Man, I love this site. Many opinions on everything, which is great. Me personally, I wouldn't trade my new FFR for anything. Sure there are better cars out there, but I love the originality of the Cobra. I thought I got a lot of thumbs up in the my 67 stang, but not like I have in the last week of owning my Cobra. I have wanted one of these since I was a young teen and didn't even know what it was. I am really appreciative of FFR and the other companies for making a classic affordable for the every day guy. It took two jobs and long hours to get it, but show me loud and proud!
Old 04-22-2005, 09:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Phatry.......quite a thread you started here as a newbie. My congrats really. It was interesting.

You should be proud of your car, and you should have fun. That's what it's all about.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 974
Not Ranked     

TerrySPF ....do the new Z06's really make 500RWHP ? I thought you mentioned that on a prior post to this thread. That is impressive.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No, it's not RWHP, but impressive nonetheless.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Not Ranked     

Take it from someone who knows these engines, the new Z06 is being badly constrained by emissions and warranty issues. The 427 in my C5 makes 528 RWHP, and my heads don't flow nearly as well as the new LS7s. Given a stronger cam and a better flowing exhaust system, the new Z06s will be over 500 RWHP in a flash.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Marco.........no question the Z06, 7 liter engine will have much more potential. A 500HP engine at the flywheel in a bone-stock factory car with 3-year warranty is impressive enough. You can certainly do more to it.

Here's an example of fairly easy enhancements on the std. LS2, 6 liter in a regular C6 with 400HP at the flywheel. These guys are already near 500 RWHP without taking the heads off. Chassis dyno results and simple mods done are posted in the thread below:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...26&forum_id=74

Last edited by clayfoushee; 04-23-2005 at 06:54 PM..
Old 04-23-2005, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

Jamo said:
It would take an exceptional...and I mean something dedicated on the order of a series prepped FFR, CSX or a JBL...to beat a ZO6 on a road course, drivers aside.

I was just watching the newest FFR promo DVD and they have a cool feature where Brian Cates and Bryan Dobbins, 2 of the top Challenge (Spec) series competitors are reviewing and commenting on some rollbar video taken from their cars over the last couple years. It shows them easily passing various American Iron Mustangs and various other NASA series cars (944s, etc) and at one point they discuss showing ZO6s the way home pretty regularly. Be interesting to see what one with more than 225hp could do.

Clay said:
My Cobra "kit" goes around curves nicely/OK too, fortunately. It's just not modern technology...........it is a 40+ year old design with a very short wheel-base, and doesn't allow .98G's on the skidpad.

The FFRs tested by Car and Driver in the past have pulled upwards (and more than) 1G on the skidpad.

No Brownshirt's here, just thought it was interesting.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'd love to see those articles.............seriously. I did see one C&D or R&T review in the last year that wasn't very flattering overall, but am not aware of others. I think the Cobra finished last in a 5-6 car comparo.

My point was about Cobras as originally set up. No doubt, you can build something that looks like a Cobra with modern technology, modern low profile tires, etc., that will do very well on the track. I don't care for the 17" low-profile look on my Cobra, but I don't want to race it either. I like it for a different reason.

Personal preferences are all that matter.........
Old 04-23-2005, 07:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

JAM1775 and Clay:
Actually Clay, the 500hp IS measured from the rear. ALL cars are measured today as "BHP" (brake HP) which is through the mufflers (a more honest measurement) versus the old way of measuring HP in the 60's from the flywheel.
Todays HP figures are much more "real" than what you saw the 60's musclecar ratings were.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Terry........this is a case where I'm happy to be wrong.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Terry your quite right about the "new" BHP method that has been used since, the late 60's early 70's I believe, "Brake Horse Power" vs "Net" horse power. It certainly DOES reflect "standard" options such as A/C, power steering, engine "accessories", through the muffler, etc. Autos with fewer "options" would rate higher in the same test.

I'm NOT sure if the BHP actually includes "drive train" loss through the trans and rear gears. IF through the trans and rear gear certain "options" would impact the final BHP number. Auto vs Stick, low gear vs high gear ratio, locker vs open diff, etc.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

BHP has been in use for thirty-some years. It does not reflect RWHP. It can be thought of as NET vs. GROSS. Net being all the engine accessories attached. Gross being none attached, measured at the flywheel--which of course, is the old method used prior to '72.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's what I thought Bill, but I'm still happy to be wrong.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

OK, just to make you happy, you're wrong.

We'll figure out what you're wrong about later.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     
Default Q & A on the new Z06

I have included comments from Ken Fichtner, GM dealer owner in Montana, who has his own forum on the Corvette Forum web site: Ken's info is highly reliable. He covers the 2006 Z06 delivery dates etc., with first production starting on July 25, 2005

When comparing the Cobra to the Z06, each has it's own " overall " merits. To this day, my 2002 Z06 gets little crowd attention, if any, even with the Borla exhaust, Fiske wheels etc and the Cobra receives many, many postive comments, even from those that are not auto enthusiats. But, when taking a long trip, I still enjoy the handling , adequate power, Bose sound system , etc,...... and use of the cup holder ( smile ) with the Z06

Ken's Q & A:

2006 Corvette Z06 FAQ

Please find below answers to several of the questions we have received relative to the new Z06 Corvette followed by answers to questions that we can answer!

When will the Z06 be available in dealerships?
The Z06 model will be available in the fourth quarter of 2005 as a 2006 model.

When is the start of production for the Z06?
Production is scheduled to begin on July 25, 2005.

Where will the Z06 be produced?
All Corvette models are produced in Bowling Green, KY.

How many units will be manufactured?
We have the capacity to produce around 35,000 Corvettes annually for the global markets, with 32,000 - 33,000 of them for the North American market. Z06 is expected to be 15% - 20% of the total build.

How will dealer allocation and units per dealer be determined?
Dealer allocation will be communicated to dealers in May of 2005.

Will additional training be required for a Certified Corvette Dealer to sell Z06?
Yes.

What is the estimated price range for the 2006 Z06 Corvette?
The Z06 will be priced competitively in the High Sport Segment and will continue Corvette's tradition of high performance per dollar.

Who is the target customer for the Z06?
As always, sports car enthusiasts of all ages. Z06 customers place a higher value on performance (sport over luxury) than the typical Corvette owner.

Does the Z06 have a removable roof?
No.

When will Fichtner Chevrolet know how many Z06s they can order?
Dealer allocation will be communicated to us in May of 2005.

How will Fichtner Chevrolet price units?
We will price the new Z06 at a price equal to MSRP plus $0 for dealer prep, handling, documentation, market adjustment, etc.

How many requests for Z06s has Fichtner Chevrolet received?
To date (4/1/05) I have made promises to 5 customers whose requests were made first. These requests were made in writing up to 2 years ago. We have over 500 requests at present. When we know the pricing and the quantity that we will have available to sell, we will email everyone. It is possible that one or more of the first 5 on our list will not place an order when it is time to place an order. At that time we will offer any unsold allocations to customers in the order in which their written requests were made to us.

Last edited by Don; 04-24-2005 at 09:07 AM..
Old 04-24-2005, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 974
Not Ranked     

BHP may not be RWHP but 500 is still very impressive considering all the restrictive factors to get that BHP figure. Do some head work and exhaust alone look out ! I learned something interesting here....thanks guys.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     
Default Idaho Corvette Page

JAM1775

A source for the Corvette data. While the Technical Articles are labeled Corvette, also includes good general information.

At some future date, there will be a Technical review on the 2006 Z06 427 SB

While not confirmed on either price or availability, the 427 might be a crate motor in the 4th quarter of 2005.

Don

http://www.idavette.net/

Last edited by Don; 04-24-2005 at 09:05 AM..