SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2005, 09:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     
Default I have this paint and can't find more

I bought my cobra replica in Reno NV in 99.It came with this pint can of paint.I have used it all now and I'm having a time trying to get other brands of paint to match. The can reads "Glassodur Urithane Acrylic 21" written by hand is "88 Mazda 140 Crystal White (21M60)"I have left my hood as a sample for the local paint store to compare different formulas.The first two mixes wern't close enough .First can of paint seemed gray and the second mix was a cream white .I swear mine is an absolute White no black, red ,yellow, or the like.It is a single stage White Urithane and was poilishing and blending great untill I ran out.
I watched from a distance as they mixed batch.The first batch was from a formula from the mazda code on the can converted by their website.I swear I saw them add a few drops of black. That appeared gray when compared to my paint.They then gave me a small quantity of pure white to add.I added the whole amount of pure white and it helped but not enough. I went back and The paint store operator mixed a can and I saw her add a little red and what she said was a bright yellow.That made what I would call a creamy white. I tried a small area .That batch didn't match so in frustration I removed the hood and went back to the store with the hood. the store operator tried a mix , getting closer but not there yet.The store operator had given up on a the line of paint she was trying to use and went up to the higher priced line. They were used to basecoat and clear and I had a whole car in single stage paint. A call to the factory rep and it was converted to a single stage Urithane .Of coarse it was way more expensive and came with a hardener that was tempermental. She said the can of hardener would start to set up as soon as the can was opened. To try to prolong the shelf life I would have to clean the top with lacquer thinner ,screw the lid on as tight as possible, and store it in a refrigerator . And maybe it might last five weeks. Another employee came and got involved and other customers were starting to come in. The store operator went to help the other cutomers and the employee got involved in my problem .She then dug out the infamous scaning gun. and came up with another code from what we were doing before. The website was down that they go through to break down the mixes . I was there over an hour at the point when I left the hood. This working for a living sure gets in the way of things I need to get done.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 06-24-2005 at 07:58 AM..
Old 06-24-2005, 01:05 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

Send an e-mail to some of the major paint manufacturer's (DuPont, PPG, etc) and ask them if they can give you the formula so a local paint store can mix up a can for you. Make sure you also send a copy to Mazda.

The Glassodur is an additive (Plasticizer) that was added to the base paint.

May not get anything, but it cannot hurt. Tell Mazda that you are restoring the 88 Mazda to showroom finish - they might go the extra yard as compared to telling them its for a Cobra.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     
Arrow

Locally there are a few paint shops that can scan a sample and produce an exact match. I've use this computerized service several times and you couldn't tell the difference between the existing and the new paint. I believe it even compensates for sun fade in the pricess.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #90, 351w,Tremec 3550, SB100 SOLD
Not Ranked     

Michael,

I think the paint you have may be Glasurit brand, and not Glassodur? Is that possible? Glasurit is a BASF company and makes high quality auto paints among other things. Check your yellow pages for "auto paint supply" stores and see if any of them are Glasurit dealers, or know of one nearby.

Perhaps Glassodur is an older type of Glasurit paint? If so, a current type of Glasurit paint should be matchable to what you have.. It might also be somewhat difficult to match older paint as it starts to fade after awhile. The paint stores can often allow for this and come up with a match. It would help to start with the same brand of paint. Other brands as you have seen are more difficult to match.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I can read the can it says "Glassodur Urithane Acrylic "in black, and a large "21" on the can, and maybe Glasurit in blue print at the top but it is obsceured by paint runs and old masking tape. The company or line may have changed. I figure this can may be up to seventeen years old.
I did a search and found under "Glasurit" just what you mentioned .They show two lines .A "22" which is a single stage Urithane and 1"55" which is a basecoat clear piant.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 06-26-2005 at 07:43 PM..
Old 06-24-2005, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just called around, found Glasutit at local WESCO store . They dont mix they just sell it.So where does a guy go from here? In the Tacoma area?
Old 06-24-2005, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/SBC/Jag
Not Ranked     

If you peel the label, they may list the contents on the back.

My car was painted with DuPont Centurion, and the painter gave me the label from the paint can (car was painted in 89').

On the back of the label they have a list of all the possible contents for that line of paint, and the amounts of each that were used was written in by hand when the paint was mixed.

I went to a local auto paint supplier, and they were able to mix me up a pint in about 15 minutes, and it is an absolute perfect match.
I thought finding some paint was going to be a nightmare. Fortunately it proved otherwise.

We come into this world naked, screaming, and covered in blood. With dedication and a little planning, you can go out the same way.

View my overflow Gallery (much more to come !)
Old 06-24-2005, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #90, 351w,Tremec 3550, SB100 SOLD
Not Ranked     

Micheal,

I am not sure what a WESCO store is, but it may be a distributor. If so, perhaps they could give you a name of a paint "jobber" that they sell to. The jobber should be able to match/mix the paint for you. If not, then find out if they sell the Glasurit to a body shop nearby and maybe they will mix the paint for you. If it is that old, I doubt if the exact paint is still available. It is probably not even legal if it was. So, I would find the closest Glasurit match you can come up with. Good luck.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

88 mazda crystal white is a paint for a 88 rx-7 turbo II 10th anniversary.
go to rx7club.com and to the 2nd generation forum and put a post there.
it was a very popular car and they only came in white, im positive someone has a matching paint for it

I own a 87 turbo ii, white