Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Shop Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/)
-   -   Securing steering shaft??? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/65785-securing-steering-shaft.html)

Steve R 07-03-2005 08:02 AM

OK,
I'll let you slide ONE day.;)

Steve R 07-05-2005 08:20 AM

:confused:

zipzip 07-05-2005 10:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm guessing, but perhaps this is what ROOSTER was describing?

Sorry Rooster, I guess I should read the posts better!

blykins 07-05-2005 10:49 AM

Here's my flanges....

1 Attachment(s)
Flanges...

They have surface rust on them....they sat outside all night.

Steve R 07-05-2005 11:45 AM

blykins,
Would you post a pic of your setup as supplied from S.V.?
Just my inner geek wanting to see it.:)
The only thought that comes to mind as far as your flanges go, is the completed shaft/ flange assemblies will probably need to be cut in a lathe so the flanges are as close as possible to 90Deg to the longitudinal axis of the shafts. Otherwise, over time the wobbling shafts will try to crack the flanges off. (if I understand correctly what you are planning)
Steve

Sydney 07-05-2005 12:19 PM

Hi Fellas,

There's a couple of old pics in my gallery of the SV setup with the 3\4" id tube slipping over the 3\4" od shaft. I just used 2 3\16" shear pins drilled 90* apart from each other. I have power steering though, so I suspect the loading on the pins isn't the same. Now you guys have me thinking again!

Sydney

Steve R 07-05-2005 12:57 PM

So..... S.V. provides a hunk of unsplined, unaltered bar stock for you to hook up your steering to??
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...g_0002-med.jpg
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...602211-med.jpg

blykins 07-05-2005 01:17 PM

Steve, my setup is like Syd's...the only thing that is missing is the lower shaft in his picture. As you can imagine, that upper shaft will just slide down inside of it, and the roll pins secure it.

The flanges were cut on a lathe.

I will bolt them together....then slide it on both shafts at the same time and then weld.

I would think (and hope) that it will be square that way. If the bolts are already in the flanges and they're clamped together, they should already be "preloaded" in the correct position. The only other thing I can do is use a square when putting them on....tack it on....then move to the next 90 deg....square...then tack...etc.

The flanges are 1/4" thick...it should have enough meat to square itself up as it's being slid on the shaft.

Sydney 07-05-2005 02:00 PM

"So..... S.V. provides a hunk of unsplined, unaltered bar stock for you to hook up your steering to??"

Yes Steve that's correct. They also supply a 3\8" roll pin to use and an aluminum collar to cover it up. I felt that the 3\8" pin would weaken the shaft too much so I used the double 3\16" shear pin option. I found that on Borgesons web sight. They mention that even that weakens the shaft by 30%.

Steve R 07-05-2005 02:20 PM

Sydney,
Thanks. If that were my company (S.V.), I would leave less to the builder's imagination by providing a splined shaft and corresponding joints. Thinking about placing my life in the hands of ONE scroll pin when doing 120mph around a curve gives me the creeps. But hey, they have been in business for a long time. :)
Are you sure they don't call out for more than one pin?

Steve R 07-05-2005 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by blykins

Steve, my setup is like Syd's...the only thing that is missing is the lower shaft in his picture. As you can imagine, that upper shaft will just slide down inside of it, and the roll pins secure it.

The flanges were cut on a lathe.

I will bolt them together....then slide it on both shafts at the same time and then weld.

I would think (and hope) that it will be square that way. If the bolts are already in the flanges and they're clamped together, they should already be "preloaded" in the correct position. The only other thing I can do is use a square when putting them on....tack it on....then move to the next 90 deg....square...then tack...etc.

The flanges are 1/4" thick...it should have enough meat to square itself up as it's being slid on the shaft.

I take it that you will be using close tolerance bolts through the flanges. After you weld it up, it will be easy enough to check the alignment.
Good luck.:)

Sydney 07-05-2005 05:28 PM

[quote] Are you sure they don't call out for more than one pin?

Yes Steve. The manual says one pin and they supply one pin. My kit is a couple of years old, so they could could have improved the whole setup by now.

I do feel that the two pins that I have are at least as strong as the rag joint on the other end. That appears to me to be the weak point of the system. Like I mentioned somewhere above, I have power steering so I don't think there is as much force put on the linkage as there is on a manual system. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hey Brent, do you have a rag joint on your rack end? And if you do, are you going to do something different there?

Sydney

blykins 07-05-2005 05:46 PM

Yep. I'm rag jointed.

Haven't thought much about that end. Like you said, it's a weak link.

What are your thoughts? A splined coupler in place of the rag joint?

Sydney 07-05-2005 07:53 PM

Well Brent I think I'm going to leave it like it is for one season, to see how the road feel and vibration etc. is going to be. There are lots of cars out there with rag joints. I like the looks of those vibration absorbing u-jounts that Borgeson and Flaming River has.

Probably next winter I will replace everything from the steering wheel to the rack with either Flaming River or Borgeson stuff. Man..... this car will never get done!

Steve R 07-05-2005 09:47 PM

Brent,
The dim bulb in my head just got a little brighter. :rolleyes:
With your flanges, the lower tubing will still be slid over the steering shaft, providing the alignment, right? I'm not sure how you could go wrong if the welds are good quality.
Steve :)

blykins 07-06-2005 04:18 AM

Steve,

Yeah, the upper shaft still slides down into the lower shaft. Flanges mate to each other. Bolt holes are close tolerance holes. Dad's doing the welding, so I shouldn't have any problem with weld quality. :D

Syd....I'm kinda like you. I have no road-time on the car whatsoever...so I'll have to see what she drives like before I delve any deeper into the steering system.

Steve R 07-09-2005 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Steve R

OK,
I'll let you slide ONE day.;)

6 Friggen days.:mad:

tpiini 07-09-2005 06:31 PM

I P.M.'ed you four or five days ago. But now that I check the P.M.'s, it's not there. Perhaps my "send" finger wasn't up to the task. I'll try again.

Edit: I just figured out how to check my "sent" P.M.'s. You now have two. One from the 5th and one from a few minutes ago. Check 'em.

rooster 07-10-2005 08:03 AM

Hey zipzip, Your drawing is right on, but give me some credit. Thats my invention, not tpiini's. Thanks

Steve R 07-10-2005 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by tpiini

I P.M.'ed you four or five days ago. But now that I check the P.M.'s, it's not there. Perhaps my "send" finger wasn't up to the task. I'll try again.

Edit: I just figured out how to check my "sent" P.M.'s. You now have two. One from the 5th and one from a few minutes ago. Check 'em.

I'll put my PMS;) in check and check my PM:) I'm just not in the habit of checking it.
Steve