SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2006, 11:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Lone Star Classics LS427, 428 CJ engine stroked to 464, 580hp/590tq at flywheel
Not Ranked     
Default Alden Eagle double adjustable

I am having some problems bottoming out my rear coildovers. They are single adjustable for rebound. Has anyone tried the double adjustable for rebound and compression? Any better for bottoming?

Bruce
Old 02-20-2006, 11:38 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

I have mine set for #4 on the top knob and 1/4 inch of thread showing for the spring.

Did you set your ride height?

You will need to set your ride height by compressing the coil over. Once you have that done, the rear may need to be stiffened by compressing the coil over.

The knob controls the ride and the coil over adjustment sets the height.

What poundage are your rear springs?

LoneStar may swap them out for stiffer ones.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS427, Keith Craft 496 Genesis, 649 hp, 668 ft-lb, TKO-600, Dynatek Stack EFI
Not Ranked     

RB
Check and see which lower mounting hole your shock is mounted in. If it is mounted in the upper hole, you can gain an 1"+ by moving to the lower hole. That will lower your ride height, but you can compesate for that by raising the coilover spring adjustment. I had the same problem and this procedure cured it. Good luck.

Brad W.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar, 427 Center Oiler
Not Ranked     

Which "lower mounting hole" for the coil over do you mean. I'm a new LS owner and have it on jack stands right now. I only see one hole the coil over mounts to in the top and bottom. There's 2 holes each for the upper and lower control arms. Is this what you mean? Even in your pics (which are great) I only see one hole to mount the coil over in.
BTW, what are the multiple holes for the 4 link used for? Is it strictly ride height or is it greatly different handling characteristics?

mat
Old 02-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Lone Star Classics LS427, 428 CJ engine stroked to 464, 580hp/590tq at flywheel
Not Ranked     

I will look again tonight. I did not see color code on rears, I will look harder. I also did not see a second set of mounting holes, but will look again. Mine are about as Trularin's - 1/4 inch of thread or so, but the ride height is correct so I don't want to go any higher in rear. I thought about the heavier springs also, but then saw the double effect coil overs on Alden's site and thought that may be even better. I will do some more checking.

Bruce
Old 02-20-2006, 03:17 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Bruce,
From the combination of your ride height,17'' tires and 1/4" of thread showing,I bet you are already using the lower mount point.

LSC put 220# springs on the rear. 220# will have a red mark.About the size of the end of a pencil eraser.Won't be easy to find but it is there.

I remember you saying you were pretty big.Heavy springs could be the answer.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS427, Keith Craft 496 Genesis, 649 hp, 668 ft-lb, TKO-600, Dynatek Stack EFI
Not Ranked     

Mat,
Mine has 2 sets of lower mounting holes, about an inch apart. Maybe LS has changed that? I'll run out and take a picture later and post it. The 4-link bars you are refering to are supposed to be mounted in the upper and lower position for street use, and the inner holes for drag racing. I've been playing around with the position of mine to see what changes it makes. I think the bars should be more parallel than what they are in the outer position. I move mine to both lower holes on the bottom bar but moved the upper bar to the lower hole on the rear and left the front in the upper hole. That made them almost parallel. But the weathers been bad this week and haven't been able to drive it. Theres a good site that explains 4-link geometry, but it's a little over my head. http://www.thedirtforum.com/4link.htm

RB, as you said I had 1/4" threads showing on my coil adjustment before I moved to the lower hole, and 1 1/2" now, so I gained 1"+ on the travel. Like I said, I post some pictures later. There's a thread on the LS forum called "my build pics" by aggiejack that shows the two hole but not clearly.

Brad W.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

All,

Thanks for the input!

Fred - I raised it on the lift and I cannot find the markings on the rear for crap. I will pull a wheel get a closer look later.

Brad - I do have set of lower holes that I could go to, but I am not sure the coil over end won't hit the bracket. Again when I pull the wheel to find the coil markings I will relocate one to see if it is feasible to go to lower hole. Mine has spacers that have the mount all the way to one side (front side) and I know it could hit there (but an easy relocate in spacers will fix that direction), but I am not sure it won't hit the bracket on the tire side no matter where it is located in the spacers. Did you have to due any extra fabrication? BTW - love your signature line! Been there done that!

May be a combination of spring and relocate. I will tinker with some more tomorrow night. You have all given me a direction to go.

Thanks again and I will keep you posted.
Bruce
Old 02-20-2006, 07:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Also - I keep my 4 link parallel also.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bruce,
I didn't have any trouble with the shock clearing the bracket, but you will have to run the coilover adjustment nuts up before you reattach the lower end, because the nuts will hit the bracket if you leave them in the current position.

Brad W.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:48 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Bruce,
Mine is setup in the lower hole. Also,there are 1/2" of threads showing.This lets it clear the brackets.

So, the shock is lowered 1 inch.Spring is raised 1/4" inch.
When you get it back to the ride height you are at now,you will have more compression travel.About 3/4".

Put an even number of spacers on each side on the shock mount.top and bottom.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Brad - Thanks

I will lift back up tomorrow night and see how it goes. Do you use a spanner wrench to adjust the nut?

Bruce
Old 02-20-2006, 08:04 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A spanner wrench would be best.With the spring relaxed you can ure a drift or something similiar to do it.

In case you missed it,I posted right above your last post.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fred,

Thanks - I did miss your post. Good info. I will have to pick up a new spanner tomorrow -

Bruce
Old 02-20-2006, 09:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar, 427 Center Oiler
Not Ranked     

Would love to see a pic of the lower mounting hole. Cowtowncobra has a great pic of his, and it looks like he doesn't have a lower mounting hole for the rear coilover, just like mine. That would be nice b/c I'm afraid I may have to compress the spring too much to get the ride height I want = less suspension travel.

Mat
Old 02-21-2006, 07:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Piece of cake! Changed mine to lower hole, reset ride heigth, Found red dot on 10" springs so I have the 220#. Now all I need is a little good weather and some open road!

Thanks to all. I will let you know if it helps.

Bruce
Old 02-26-2006, 03:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Took her for a drive today and it seems much better. Little stiffer, but never bottomed out.

Thanks for everyones help!
Bruce
Old 02-26-2006, 09:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bruce,
Glad that fixed your bottoming out problem. Not to sure why it would make it ride stiffer. Have to think about that for a while. Mat951, If your still monitoring this thread, Cowtown"s gallery has 2 pictures named "tire" and "rear".
His suspension definately has the lower mounting hole. His setup is in the upper hole, which makes it difficult to see, but it is about an inch below the one that it is mounted in. The washers are quite large and may be covering up the lower hole in yours. Let us know. I'll take some pictures if you need me to.

Brad W.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:06 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bruce,
Glad the ideas from CC worked out for you.

As far as stiffer,it could be that the shock valving is different now.Your shock travel in now about centered.

You have a habit more of us should have.

You ask for help/ideas for a problem AND report back when the problem is solved.It helps to know what ideas do and do not solve a certain problem.