SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2006, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289FIA
Send a message via AIM to marculan
Not Ranked     
Default Goodyear tire question

I am building an ERA FIA car that will be used approx. 80% street and 20% track. I love the aggressive look of the Goodyear racing tires with the large "Goodyear" white-letters, but have not been able to find this look on a street legal tire. Is anyone aware of a street legal (I am in Connecticut) tire like this, or is there any way to get this "look" on a street legal tire?

On a side note, aside from registration problems, I would be interested in others experience running non-DOT tires on the street (I've been told that the extra stickiness / softness of the tires will kick up street pebbles and wreck the paint).

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Marc
Old 04-29-2006, 07:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Lone Star Classics LS427, 428 CJ engine stroked to 464, 580hp/590tq at flywheel
Not Ranked     

http://www.rogerkrausracing.com/gyCobra.html
Old 04-29-2006, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 351w
Not Ranked     

Well, probably the biggest problem I see about using these on the street is the tread wear. For how expensive these tires are, they don't last long enough to make them worthwhile for street use. You'll be replacing them all the time for a big time tire budget $$$.

You'd be better off just buying another set to swap out for track racing or just settling for some street tires that would work OK on the track.

Last edited by chesterakl; 04-29-2006 at 07:47 AM..
Old 04-29-2006, 04:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: owned Kirkham for 11 years
Not Ranked     

Marc,

I have 4000 miles on my Big Letter Goodyears and don`t see any sign of wear yet.

They handle great, for that 20 per cent track time you mentioned and no problems during normal warm weather use. They do like being warm before spirited driving.

Maurice
Old 04-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I got about 4K on mine as well, maybe more and THATS with track time, road race and drag strip.

Tire wear aint that bad.

Or, are you gonna be the 'one' guy that actually PUTS miles on his Cobra? Most of us simply dont run enough miles to worry about it.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

I had to buy 4 front tires because my FIA was a little narrow in the hip. Go for it! You will love them. This hobby is not a hobby for "cheap" anyway.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 390FE
Not Ranked     

I just orderd a set of the big letter Goodyears from Rodger Kraus last friday. I asked about the differant ones they have.It sounds like they have three differant ones with tread. slicks with hand cut tread,molded treaded,& blue streaks with tread. The hand cut treaded slicks have 4/32" tread and last about five thousand miles. The molded tread tires have eight thirty seconds and last about ten to fifteen thousand. I didnt ask about the blue streaks. I hope to be getting them sometime next week.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What really surprised me was how light weight the Goodyear 'Bill Board' tires are. Just what you would expect from a race tire I guess.

I've heard them referred to as little more than 'canvas bags', a fitting description. They do take a 'set', like a flat spot, when parked overnight so it takes a few miles for them to get 'round' in the morning. Amazingly good wet traction as well.

Some, like Kirkam and others have done, like to 'paint' the white letters. When delivered the letters are almost yellow. All though they look terrific once 'colored in' it's a hassle finding the right product to color them with. Then comes the maintainence to KEEP them that way. Jamo has the right idea, leave them alone, they look more 'real' and take on a certain 'patina' with time!

Last edited by Excaliber; 04-29-2006 at 11:24 PM..
Old 04-30-2006, 04:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4995, Keith Craft built 427 SO
Send a message via MSN to 427SnakeSC Send a message via Yahoo to 427SnakeSC
Not Ranked     

I am waiting for delivery of my CSX. When I placed the order, I was going to go with the Goodyear Blue Streak, to keep the original look. I was warned that these tires are too "sticky" and would result in many stone chips. I went with the advice of the dealer and ordered the Goodyear Eagles. I haven't gotten the car yet (Aug. - Sept., maybe ) and I am wondering if I should take the Blue Streaks and hang the few stone chips. Can anyone supply me with the performance of each tire? I will be running a BB in the new car.
"The 427 Cobra is easily the highest performance car ever sold for street use. A decent 427 - not the worst, not the best, will go from zero to 100 mph and back down again to zero in less than 14 seconds. All thing considered, you can put together a pretty good argument that the 427 Cobra is the ultimate performance car, judged on any basis you want to name." Taken from; Corvette, The Sensuous American
Old 04-30-2006, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289FIA
Send a message via AIM to marculan
Not Ranked     

Thank you all for the responses. I agree, this is about building the car you want and having fun, so I am purposely ignoring the cost side of the equation. In terms of registration, however, has anyone had problems getting the car to pass with non-DOT tires (assuming that they are not slicks and actually look like a road tire in some capacity).

Thanks again.

Marc
Old 04-30-2006, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Talking Tires for sale

I have a complete set of Roger Krause Goodyear Cobra slicks for sale with about 500 miles on them. I will sell all four for $50.00 plus shipping.
I will have another set for sale probably in July. with the same deal.
Only 500 miles of easy track laps.

RD
Old 04-30-2006, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4236 with a Shelby aluminum 427 "It's The Great Pumpkin"
Not Ranked     

The Goodyear Billboards do throw up a tremendous amount of stones in the wheel well. When I switched over from 17" radials I couldn't believe the noise I was hearing from the rocks hitting on the bottom of the fenders. Luckily my car has undercoating applied to the inner wheel wells and so far no spider cracking. They just look so nice on the car its worth it to leave them on and put up with the occasional paint chip.