SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2006, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default factory five quality?

hi guys im looking into building a ac replica and factory five looks to be a goog kit for the price what are your thoughts on this? is there any others i should be looking at? thanks Bob
Old 07-19-2006, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You can do a search and find out a lot of info. Factory 5 is a good kit, but in my opinion there are better ones out there for the money. I chose hurriane-motorsport for mine. The factory 5 body is not very acurate, so if accuracy is what you are looking for, that's not it and the body will cost you a ton more time and money to prep for paint. You can make the factory 5 look good and it is a good kit. But like I said I would just look at other options first.

Hurricane-motorsports also has a GREAT private forum for owners only to go and ask any questions and share info.

Dan

Last edited by dlowman; 07-19-2006 at 09:49 AM..
Old 07-19-2006, 06:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bought an Exact carbon car in TX. Bought a 427 sideoiler with 630 HP
Not Ranked     

Take your time. I'm really glad I did. Lurk the FFR forums and you will find out that any question you ask will be answered within minutes if not an hour. Wonderful support if you intend to build. I agree that it's not a very accurate body and there are other mfrs. out there that that have a really good product. Some offer varying degrees of completion.
John
Old 07-19-2006, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

While FFR is a decent kit, and I've seen many great builds, I still can't get over what a crappy body they give you. You have to spend (or pay someone) at least 60 hours just prepping the body for painting.

There's a thread going on now over at FFR about a guy suing the painter. Everyone's suggests that in order to get it painted right you have to go to one of a handful of guys that 'know' the body. Y'know, ship the body 400 miles....yadda....yadda.....7,000.00 bucks later.........YIKES! "Make sure you leave the body out in the sun to cure" What are you freekin kidding me?????

I know the FFR Kool Aid guys will say "yeah, but look at that chassis" or "yeah, but look at this great forum" but for me I just would not want to deal with that crappy body.

While you are looking around at companies don't overlook A & C (Antiques & Collectibles out of Buffalo); a real sleeper in the industry. In my opinion they make the best body in the industry. It comes in a gelcoat that looks like paint and in any color of your choice.

I've had mine on the road 7 years now and I've still not painted it. I not only saved thousands on the cost of the build but got it on the road much quicker without having to deal with the bodywork and paint.

The A&C body is true to the original with no steatopygic butt. The body comes with the hood and trunk mounted with many of the necessary holes drilled or cutout. Also the doors, hood and trunk are double lined and all edges of the body are rolled. It is a very impressive piece of work.

Roscoe
Build site: http://www.priveye.com/cobra.htm

Last edited by Roscoe; 07-19-2006 at 08:57 AM..
Old 07-19-2006, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B --Well built 302
Not Ranked     

Don't overlook B&B mfg's offering. It'll be hard to beat the support that you get from them in all facets of your build,the frame is probably one of the strongest and gel coat body from them is straiter than most unless your looking for a trailer queen, show car finish!!
Old 07-19-2006, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to mj_duell
Not Ranked     

Now for my .02

www.turntenracing.com

--Mike / Turn Ten Racing, Inc.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B & B
Not Ranked     

B & B is a very good kit. Good body as well!

You can observe a lot from just watching.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:06 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Do your homework, take your time, and do not get involved in the round tube vs square tube chassis argument(s) or hype. This past weekend I saw an E.M. that was involved in a head on collision with a mini van, the chassis did exactly what it was supposed to do and anyone that tells you that a well engineered square tube chassis is less effective than it's round tube counterpart have no clue as to what they are talking about.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-19-2006, 08:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don't forget to check out Shell Valley --- they are out of Nebraska --
They put out an excellent car and the the customer services is excellent.
I do not own a Shell Valley but, I have many friends that do and they are completely satisfied. If I choose to build anyother one -- I think that is the one I would go with.
Mike
Old 07-19-2006, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra Ford FE 427 w/ Webers 48 IDA
Not Ranked     

My $.02,

I believe it all has to do with how much love, time and money you are willing to put into these cars. How much of a perfectionist you are, all the kits are great considering the person that is building it. I chose a EM for the chassis design and body design. Everyone that has seen my car has loved it. Again, I have been working on my car for 5 yrs at my own pace and enjoying the build. With that being said, I was able to eliminate the dollar fact involve in my build. I have used nothing but the best and have not cut any corners. This is were the love and perfection comes in to play. I felt that with the factory five I would have to replace the bushings, suspension componets, gas tank, and other donor items because they had wear -n- tear on them and would not meet my standards. I did not like the idea of using mustang pedals ( I wanted custom chrome pedals)

If you are looking to have a fast build and enjoy the car for what it is I would recommend buy a completed car. But if you are in it for the build and fun then it would depend on how envolved you would want to be.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, 418W, tremec 3550tko, 9" ford rear, 3.0 gear, silver/black
Not Ranked     

I have to second what Mike says about Shell Valley! Great Kit, Great body and fantastic customer service!! I would recommend that you take a look at them also!!
Old 07-19-2006, 11:30 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

Zipped Excel file on this thread with web sites to help you in your search.

List of Manufacturers
Old 07-19-2006, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, CHP 427w Streetfignter, Injected Venom.Mass-Flo...550 hp , 550 torq..spec pulley sys..
Not Ranked     
Default do the homework......

ChopperBob....
You have some fun in front of you! You have some great choices, and all( ALL) have some goods and not so goods! As for how to make the choice....just read other's comments and go on different sites to get very, very educated. As for FFR.......though Roscoe does not like the body, they do have a good kit, a good support, and many have gone this way to create theri own car....as theirs offer many more options than most! They are not the only option to choose from if you want you "own style" , but one of the good choices. There are decisions to make before you select, and if you go on the past threads here, they are outlined for you buy many of the guys here, and they do know their stuff!
Good luck, and enjoy the journey...........BTW, for what it is worth..........many owners have choices and they REALLY LIKE the purky butt of the FFR........not all hate it....
fred.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 with 373's
Not Ranked     

As with all kits, they are only as good as the person putting them together.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

I hate kits that come without perfect finishes right out of the mold! How can some manufacturers look themselves in the mirror turning out stuff that requires a little work? I mean really!

http://www.chuckbrandt.com/body_work.htm

Roscoe, the fact that the FFCobra guys like to promote SRP, Miller and NCPainter is simply because they are good guys and do a great job but I can name at least 2 painters here in town that also do great work. No need to ship all over the country and sure as hell no need to pay 7K for body and paint.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, CHP 427w Streetfignter, Injected Venom.Mass-Flo...550 hp , 550 torq..spec pulley sys..
Not Ranked     

ouch.........that one must have hurt....................
Old 07-24-2006, 09:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 974
Not Ranked     

I agree with Maricopa on the FFR body. No need for "400miles"for paint. Just be sure your guy is good with fiberglass. Body shops are everywhere....no matter which car you bring for body work /paint take the time to find a good shop. Fiberglass work does need to cure and that can be done in different ways. One guy suing a painter is no reflection on the car painting industry or on one cobra replica manufacturer at all. The FFR "kool aid" might be better understood as a phrase that defines very satisfied customers and loyal following. There's nothing wrong with that either.
Once you decide on a manufacturer you should be happy with that choice. My FFR paint is on 7 yrs without a hitch . Shell Valley makes a nice body and they are a fine company. I also prefer clear coated solid paint or a nice stripe over paint any day over gelcoat. Your choice in that area . I have a 4 link live axle in my FFR which again, by my choice, is fine for a street car. IRS is available of course as is choice of BB or SB or the 4.6L engines. I have A-frame lower control arms up front in my older FFR model but today all is tubular adjustable . I've thrown some heavy pounding on my car and all I have ever broken, is a T5Z tranny a few years back. I'm very happy with my FFR after 16K hard miles and would buy one again...but there's no need for that!
Old 07-25-2006, 06:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 228, Roush 342R, 457HP/428TQ, modified AOD
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff priest
As with all kits, they are only as good as the person putting them together.
WELL SAID, Jeff!!!

chopperBob, have fun with whatever you decide on, and many safe, happy miles to you!

Cheers!
Dave
Old 08-01-2006, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

A couple of weekends ago I had the opportunity to help fit a Factory Five Body to its frame and align the doors. What a chore! I don't know if any other kit is any better/easier but I do know that the experience gave me a whole new appreciation for how good FFR owners manage to get their cars looking. It also made me glad that I ordered a turnkey. I don't think that I have the patience for all of that. I might someday consider something like ERA's kit or something similar to Unique's pallet kit, but for now I'll stick to RC scale model warbirds for my building experiences!
Old 08-04-2006, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #63 428FE
Not Ranked     
Default give ERA a look

"chopper bob" - sounds like you have some experience building scooters?

I couldn't wait to get my hands on my car so I bought one already done - an early ERA, #62. Am saving my pennies to buy a kit and there is no doubt who I will be buying it from.

I guess everyone is going to love what they have, BUT...

The other night there were seven cobras at the local cruise night. The two that were getting the most attention were my 1983 built car and another ERA that was much newer.

If you want it to look like the real deal and be a quality product - give ERA a good look.

Their support is excelent and they are very helpful, Bob from ERA posts here quite a bit and is always ready and willing to help anyone, no mater who made the kit. To me that says something about the company.

Go to some cruise nights and take a look at the cars - proof is in the pudding

smith