SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2006, 09:51 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 427
Not Ranked     
Default -4AN Aeroquip fittings - Help!

OK, I'm stumped. I'm sitting here with two -4AN Aeroquip socketless fittings (silver in color - nickel plated aluminum? with Aeroquip markings)that I bought from ? and can't find the receipt. I have confirmed their size and need more of them to connect my girling brake/clutch reservoirs to the master cylinders.
But a web search and call to Summit results in no such fittings available.
I feel like I'm in the Twilight zone. I've got two in my hand but being told they don't exist!
Help!!!!!!
Can anyone tell me where I can get more of them.I need 3 straights(preferable) or 3 90deg. I can make either work.
Any help would be appreciated.
Greg
Old 08-05-2006, 10:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 302 done, CSX289 comp body, leaf spring chassis to original specs...
Not Ranked     

Try Pit Stop USA... I did a quick search of just Aeroquip products and the fittings seem to be offered both as anodized and nickle plated.

I hope that fairs you better than Summit.

www.pitstopusa.com

-John
Old 08-05-2006, 11:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

How far are you from PAW I think they carry the Aeroquip AN (Army Navy) fittings. Or just go to yahoo and querry on Aeroquip Fittings and find a source near you.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 08-05-2006, 12:06 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Let me ask you a question, do you really want to have a "pushloc" fitting when your are dealing with the enormous pressures that your brake line will be under? Let alone the critical nature of the line itself towards your safety.. I've sold off Cobrapromotions, but I can still get you pre-made -4 brake lines in lengths from 10 inches to 76 inches. Straight female fittings on both ends. before you do anything else, please think about tossing aside what you have and using the properly crimped premade lines in their place.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-05-2006, 12:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Let me ask a question: WHY do people even bother with AN fittings in the first place????

Whew, they are SUCH a major hassle finding all the right parts and pieces to make it all fit together. You could buy out the entire stores stock of AN fittings and STILL be sitting in your garage scratching your head because Part A does not fit Part B. Been there with AN, not going back, plumbers nightmare!

As for my personal taste of the 'look' of red and blue fittings here and there, I don't like it. Shelby didn't use that technology in the 60's and THATS why he was able to 'get r done'. A hose clamp and some rubber hose, done (KISS principle)!

Last edited by Excaliber; 08-05-2006 at 12:18 PM..
Old 08-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, in response to some of your questions, I am looking for these Aeroquip Socketless nickel plated aluminum hose fittings because I have done my whole car in these (heater, oil and fuel line) and I wanted the fittings on the reservoirs to match. I have avoided the blue/red fittings simply as a matter of taste.
With regards to the pressure aspect, these fittings are not under any pressure at all, as they are in the supply line (gravity feed) from the brake reservoir canister to the master cylinders.
The Girling brake/clutch reservoir canisters have -4AN fittings on their bottoms, and my Wilwood master cylinders are sized for -4AN fittings in the inlet port.
The hose end fittings I have are a female -4AN swivel nut on one end and a barbed male end on the other. (I'll post a pic later). It is meant for low pressure applications using a hose clamp/rubber hose on the barded end.
I'll keep looking and call aeroquip directly on Monday.
With regards to using AN fitings for brake lines, the street rod industry has been doing it for years and Speedway sells a complete kit or pieces for SS brake line kits including SS AN fittings. No problem.
Thanks
Greg
Old 08-05-2006, 01:49 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks to Bill and Joe on the FFR site. I should have done the magnet test first. They are so small and light, I guessed al, but they are steel. Duh!
I'll go back to the Summit site again.
Cheers
Greg
Old 08-05-2006, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Greg -
I assume you are using hose that will withstand brake fluid. As I recall, the hose I used for that purpose had a teflon lining to protect the rubber from the brake fluid. Be sure you're using the right kind of hose.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 08-06-2006, 12:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Brock Coupe
Not Ranked     

Be sure, if you have a 90 degree fitting on one end of your lines, that the other is straight! (Read Carroll Smith's Preparing to Win for the reason) Don't use aluminum AN fittings on the brake lines...go stainless. I'd suggest you get the proper lengths figured out and get the swaged lines made especially for high pressure. Badger