SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Evryday is a roadstr day
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RHD Hurricane street roadster HM1081 aging nicely in the garage
Not Ranked     

"Anyway, version 2.0 of my car, shown below, has an under car exhaust system built by Dr. Gas. "

Jim, do you have any under car photos of how the system was put together? Would be interesting to see how it was done.

For the dual system, this past year or so, there was an electrical gate system out for cutoffs though only for single pipe systems, not four dump tubes. Seems it will only be a matter of time until some innovative rodder comes up with a way to use an electrically operated gate system to shuttle between side pipes and under the car...now that would sure be the best of both worlds and save having "dummies" hanging on the side. Over here, we see a lot of cars with an extra pipe hanging out the back to look like dual exhuasts, some of them only use a tip rigged on the bottom of the bumper, pretty tacky.
Ken
Old 01-12-2007, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by superschwan427
dont all superformance coupes have exhaust as described above? i really hate that.
The SPF coupes I have seen all have working side pipes...
Old 01-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: n/a
Send a message via Yahoo to imagine2frolic
Not Ranked     

I made an offer last week for owners to visit my muffler shop, and enjoy a BBQ. I am looking forward to meeting owners, and seeing some cars on the rack. Another reason was to be able to give some good advice on exhaust systems for the cars. When customers come in looking for custom work. I have 2 questions for them. What do you want to see, and what do you want to hear. After 30 years experience I am getting good at giving them what they want...LOL. I think the thread was on the eigth of Jan. titles N.E. Fl. BBQ for COBRAS
Old 01-12-2007, 10:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast-450 HP 460
Not Ranked     

Hold the phone here kids! Why do we build/buy Cobras?? Because their mean, nasty and LOUD!! If it's to loud, pop in the ear plugs. If you want to be able to communicate with your passenger, get a Chatter Box radio system.
I feel for you guys that are forced to run under car exhaust, but for me, somehow it just aint a Cobra unless your blowing your gas out the side....that and when the cockpit fills full of smoke from a burnout!!

Ray
Old 01-13-2007, 06:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

For some it is a Cobra without sidepipes. Everyone has a little variation in their attraction to the car. Not everyone wants a constant beast. The car can be both beast, and civilized. I personally think the body is much more attractive without the sidepipes. Some like the color of red, and some like blue. I would wonder how boring it would be to go to a gathering, and every car was exactly the same. I find them all very attractive to look at, but when it comes time to build. It will be something more along the lines of the very first cars. Quick, nimble, and civilized is what will put a smile on my face.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blackbb66
Because their mean, nasty and LOUD!! If it's to loud, pop in the ear plugs. If you want to be able to communicate with your passenger, get a Chatter Box radio system.
I feel for you guys that are forced to run under car exhaust, but for me, somehow it just aint a Cobra unless your blowing your gas out the side....that and when the cockpit fills full of smoke from a burnout!!
Ray
I simply wondered if it could be done. That way we could keep the sidepipe look, which is my personal taste, and not burn the skin off of someone when they get out of the car, or an innocent kid that walks up to see the car in a parking lot and ends up remembering it for the rest of his life. If I ever get the Olthoff guys to build me a new car I will have it done that way. Might kill some of the resale, but if I do build another, its a lifetime car.

James
Old 01-13-2007, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR with a 345-horse 302 Crate Engine
Not Ranked     

Ken, here's some pictures showing the car at the Dr. Gas shop in July of 2005. The first pic is the system off the car:

Here's a few more:

As you can tell from the earlier thread pics, I've made a few changes to the car after Dr. Gas finished the exhaust system. Since the side pipe cutouts needed to be filled anyway and some paint work was required, I went from Dark Highland Green to Viper Red. I also rewired the car, added Halibrand wheels, and went from a Flaming River rack to a power rack. Also insalled a Hydroboost power brake system.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I like the tail pipe dumps. That is what I have on my truck. It reminds me of the late 60's cars. The transverse muffler was used on the early Mustangs, and Camaros. I am sure with the Xtube, and the transverse muffler it has a nice sound to it. Throaty, but not blasting loud.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

James,

If we get together sometime this summer you can check out my roadster with the rear exhaust.

Wish I could have them both. I like the look and sound of them both. I think they have two different purposes though. The sidepipes look great and how could anyone not like the sound!!! I probably get more use from the roadster since it sounds more civilized and I can drive it among the "commoners" without pi$$ing them off. Having the removable hardtop is allowing me to get more winter use. Its not like the stock SPF exhaust is silent. It makes a very nice sound. Just not quite as loud as the pipes.

Also, to be completely honest, my wife said she didn't like the prospect of getting burnt by the pipes. She wouldn't get in it if thats how I configured it. I enjoy rides in the mountains with her and I didn't want to be limited to my Miata. She totally enjoyed the drive down the Blue Ridge Parkway from Richmond, VA to Atlanta (home).

If I had it to do over again, I'd get the roadster again. But I sure like listening to those pipes!!

Jack
Old 01-13-2007, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good point, and side pipes do not make it a Cobra in an of themselves. Part of Hot Rodding is the individualism that comes out in all types of cars. I don't like ear shattering exhaust that also has the potential to take skin off either.
This is why I designed a muffler that makes good power without the annoying high frequencies that drive people nuts and I can almost lay my hand on the muffler after a hard run.......almost.
Sorry if I sounded a little off the hook, but MAN!! when I fire her up, that side pipe rumble makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck!

Ray
Old 01-14-2007, 05:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex CSX3327, & AK7113 AutoKraft AC MK IV
Not Ranked     

Do make or offer them for sale? Are they stictly sidepipe mufflers or could they be adapted. Jim
Old 01-19-2007, 08:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

jBo
I sent you a P M

Ray