SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2006, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     
Default Lone Star's with Good Year Billboard Tires ?

I'd like to see photo's & ask questions about tire size, using the billboard large lettered Good Years on Lone Star Cobras. I want to use 295/50/15's on the back but, I believe I'll have to notch out the gusset or at least "C" cut it. Has anyone done this to fit 295's ?
Old 10-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Lone Star Classics LS427, 428 CJ engine stroked to 464, 580hp/590tq at flywheel
Not Ranked     

I would be interested in this also

Bruce
Old 10-03-2006, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

I don't see why you would have to notch anything. The wheel wells are huge and will fit just about anything within reason. I have 315-35-17's, and they fit perfectly with a little room to spare.
Tim
Old 10-03-2006, 07:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Lone Star Classics LS427, 428 CJ engine stroked to 464, 580hp/590tq at flywheel
Not Ranked     

http://www.buicks.net/shop/reference/tires.html#chart

Looks like same width, but about 1 inch taller
Old 10-03-2006, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So a 295-50 will fit ? I guess when a friend said his 60 series may hit the gusset, I assumed the same. What's the max diameter billboard that will fit ?
rb- thanks for the list. I'll measure the distance between the gusset and tire that I have now & will let you know what I find.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

On mine I am not sure that I would not need to change offset a little to allow for more room between outer sidewall and fender flare. I have the 315/35/17 like Tim and mine are close to hitting the outer fender now, the extra 1 inch tall might just rub, but I have plenty of room on the inside to change the offset from 3.5 (what I think I have) to a 3.0. Would also need to look at caliper clearance. I been looking at the Vintage wheels in 15 inch. I think they will fit, but you need to try and cover all bases. Be nice to find someone that has done this.

Bruce
Old 10-05-2006, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics, 302
Not Ranked     

The key dimensions are going to be your wheel offset and axle width. I used a stock width 8.8 trac-loc rearend (I recommend against this), and 275s periodically graze the fiberglass.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:19 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

There are guys here with LSC's with 335/35/17's. 17x11 wheels with 6-6.25" backspacing.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry guy's. I do have 295/50's but was interested in the 60 series, to fill up more of the wheel well. Looks like the 295's don't come in the 60 anymore. A friend just notified me that he tried to get the Good Year Eagle II's in this size. their not making them now, don't know why, other than no sales. Anyway, I have apx. 3/4" between the tire and frame gusset. If I buy the Billboards, I'll have to stay with the width of 295's, no problem with that. I'll have to look at the chart Bruce posted and see what diameter in inches will fit and measure (twice) lol, what I have now. I still don't know what's up with my shocks (Aldan adjustable) and why I have so much dead space between the top of the tire & wheel well. If you stand back and look at the rear of the car, you can see that the left side of the fuel tank is lower than the right. The left shocks adjustable collar is all the way down, the right side is in the middle. I can't lower the rear of the car because of the left shock being all the way down now. This winter, I'll have to scale the car on all four corners, take the springs off the shock,to measure the lengths and what pound they are.
The body- I measured the height from the ground to wheel well lip. The left side is 1" higher than the right ? The body is flat on the frame under the doors but the left rear from the wheel well back is up off the frame say....1/2". All I can think of is the body is the left rear is warped going up ? Any other ideas ?
Old 10-05-2006, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Also, mine are 4-3/4" off set. Any guess's on the billboard diameter to match 295/50 ?
Old 10-05-2006, 07:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here you go Kevin http://www.rogerkrausracing.com/gyCobra.html

See if this helps any. You running a Currie 9"? I have to run out of town or I would pull a rear and measure my backspacing.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, currie. Be safe on the trip.
Thanks buddy