SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2006, 09:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40P-2265/393W, KMP318 (PROJECT!!!!!)/CSX478
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down Dead Holley Red Fuel Pump, Only 158 Miles

Anybody familiar with the failure modes of this fuel pump? I literally have only 158 miles on the car. Last time I shut it down on Sunday, all was well (as far as I knew, anyway). Went to start her up today, and silence. Oh, the motor ran until the fuel bowel went dry, but the fuel pump failed to make its normal racket from the beginning. No fuel pressure either.

I jacked her up and jumped the red (power, I assume) lead directly to the battery. Nada, nothing, nichts, ingot, yada yada... Clearly the motor is not turning, any chance it is jammed with crud? I believe that there is a strainer built in to keep the worst of the crud out, but I'm not positive. I know these can be opened up, and I'll probably take a look for curiosity's sake, but is there a chance that the motor is fried? Or is that unusual.

My question is, should I just give up hope and go buy a new one, or is it likely that this one will be useable?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

"Dishwasher? I thought that was for cleaning parts!?"
Old 10-06-2006, 04:56 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Ron,

I have a Holley Red in my car and have had no problems with it so far (knock on wood). Actually, this is the second Holley Red but I still have the first one in the trunk as a spare. The first one has about 16,000 miles on it and the one in there now has about 4,000 miles. In between the two Holleys, I had two Aeromotives for a total of a few hundred miles. The first Aeromotive lasted a couple hundred miles and both it and its replacement Aeromotive, which the engine builder sent me at no cost, made such a racket I decided to go back to a Holley. There was nothing wrong with the original Holley; I just figured why put the new one in the trunk and drive around on an old one?

I do have a filter between the tank and the pump.

Please let us know what you find.

Thanks,

Lowell
Old 10-06-2006, 05:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Ron,

I have had their Holly Blue in my car for about 8 years and no problems at all. I have checked the built in strainer a time or two and have yet to find anything in it or my fuel filter. I must have a clean gas tank. Possibly you could have just gotten a faulty one as that happens in all things from time to time. Why not call Holly and see it they might replace it as it has very little usage?

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 10-06-2006, 08:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Tri-power Stroker
Not Ranked     

I had a problem with my Holley red pump also; no noise when I switched it on... after I took it off the car and checked it on the bench I found that it was spinning, just no clacking noise - I wacked it with a rubber mallet and it started up with the usual racket.

When I took it apart I found that the impeller blades aren't fixed, they slide out against the housing from centrifugal force. Apparently mine had gummed up and were stuck somewhat retracted. I cleaned it all out and was tempted to put it back on the car but chickened out and bought a new one which has been working fine.

Well, not exactly fine, the fuel pressure seems to vary quite a bit from 5 to 7lbs depending on engine rpm but Holley tech says this is normal.

- Dan
Old 10-06-2006, 08:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Tri-power Stroker
Not Ranked     

After re-reading my post, maybe the fuel pressure is increasing with rpm because the impeller blades have more force against the housing, (and consequently the fuel itself), and can therefore bring up the pressure?

It can't be that simple can it?

- Dan
Old 10-06-2006, 08:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: owned Kirkham for 11 years
Not Ranked     

Ron,

We have to stop meeting like this

Maurice
Old 10-06-2006, 08:51 AM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

igofaster,
I have had several holley fuel pumps die on me. I won't install any holley's due to the bad customer service they gave me. I use a carter and haven't had any problems as of yet. I have a holley fuel pump in the shop if you would like to buy it. Brand new in the box. Holley didn't want to say that they have some issues with the fuel pumps, but danced around the problem like Pres. Clinton about Monica Lewinski.

Bill

www.gcperf.com
Old 10-06-2006, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

There are some basics with any fuel system that I have not seen mentioned in all the posts on here about fuel problems--

Dirt-debries in the tank---you need a screen to protech the pump

Pump must be mounted lower than fuel level--is yours

If tank fitting is at bottom of tank and pump is lower then priming is not an issue but gravity will put debries into pump

If fuel supply from tank is up and out the tank top--gravity will keep most debries outta the pump but priming is a problem

most new vehicles use pump inside the tank--solves all these problems and is reliable

DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR PUMP IS TONIGHT???

Most of these problems are self inflicted--fix the problem, not the symnond

Jerry
Old 10-06-2006, 10:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Cool

Maurice, Ya no kidding. I guess it just goes with getting the buggs (maybe litteraly) out of a new car.

Blittleton, Thanks for the offer. I'd take you up on it if I didn't have a pressing issue (car going for alignment tomorrow AM). Fortunately, there is a local Kragens with a speedshop that just happens to have a replacement in stock. I'll pick it up on my way home tonight.

Jerry, Yes, the pump is located below the tank, and siphons from the low point. I suspect it sucked in some crud from the tank, as there is no filter between the pump and tank. After I replace the pump with a new one, I'll disassemble, clean, and bench test it to see if I can save it for a backup.

I spoke with Holley this am. Their tech guy didn't have much to say. Made no offer to replace it, and said that if the motor is burned, there is no way to repair it. The only option is to pull off the bottom plate and try to clean out any crud. Of course, if there is crud, Holley certainly isn't at fault, and shouldn't feel obligated to replace the part. I'll let everybody know what I find after I've replaced everything.

And yes, it is loud, but once the motor is running, I can't hear it over the sidepipes. Probably why I didn't notice when it went dead in the first place.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:42 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

I have two of those. Lost the pump section in London last year ( see the Kit Car Mag ). I am sticking with the red. Reasons are as follows:

1. The pump is sep. from the motor amd can be replaced in twenty minutes or less.
2. It is one of the most common pumps Holley makes, I see them in stores all over.
3. Does the job.

May I suggest you do the following:

1. Clean the tank. I am recommending a real cleaning, not just drain it and call it good.
2. Install a filter before the pump.
3. Remove any syphoning it has to do or at least cut it way down.
4. Run at least 14 guage wire to the pump and make sure it is grounded.

If you find you need a pump, PM me and Ill send you a Holley red thats been sitting for a while. It will probablhy run fine, but if you do all of those above and you pull your pump apart ( the four screws on the bottom ) to put your brand new pump on the motor, that may be even better.

Let me know.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question

Tularin,

Thanks for the info. The only real headache here is that I've got at least 10 gal of gas in the tank. My largest fuel container is 5 gal, and I couldn't get it under the car anyway. I assume that as soon as I take the bottom plate off, all of that gas is gonna want to pour out on my floor. As I see it, my only option is to unscrew the inlet from the pump, and cap the line as fast as I can...while holding my breath and hoping the fumes don't ignite. Am I missing something?

Old 10-06-2006, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Syphon it out of the tank

The most critical time we see for fuel contamination is in new tanks/fuel systems--usually once you get things clean you will be troublefree-

Why aren't you using a mechanical pump?

Jerry
Old 10-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton
Why aren't you using a mechanical pump?
I'd heard of problems getting enough fuel through the system if either one of the pumps failed. So, I figured having two pumps was no real advantage, as it just left you with two things to potentially fail.

I'd be open to input on that issue, but I don't think I'll redo the plumbing until rainy season sets in, in any case.

Old 10-06-2006, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

The Holley Red quit on my Kirkham also....it made it about 500 miles. Unfortunately it happened while I was driving in San Fransisco freeway traffic.....I was in the middle lane of three lanes of bumper to bumper traffic going about 65 mph....Turk came around and pulled in behind me in his Shelby which caused the traffic to slow dramatically and we were lucky there wasn't a major pile up.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:06 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Ron,
There isn't a short section of rubber fuel line some where between the tank and pump ?
If there is,collapse it to shut the fuel flow off.There is a tool,like a very small vise,made just for this.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

[quote=392cobra]Ron,
There isn't a short section of rubber fuel line some where between the tank and pump ?QUOTE]

Nope, that would be too easy. It's all braided steel -6AN.

Old 10-06-2006, 03:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatBuckley
The Holley Red quit on my Kirkham also....it made it about 500 miles. Unfortunately it happened while I was driving in San Fransisco freeway traffic.....I was in the middle lane of three lanes of bumper to bumper traffic going about 65 mph....Turk came around and pulled in behind me in his Shelby which caused the traffic to slow dramatically and we were lucky there wasn't a major pile up.

Pat, Lucky you are!

I guess I should be happy that it happened in the comfortable confines of my garrage.

Old 10-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igofastr
Pat, Lucky you are!

I guess I should be happy that it happened in the comfortable confines of my garrage.

Of course, the fact that I like to sit in my garrage with the doors shut, just listening to the motor run probably increased the chances of both having a fuel system failure in the garrage, and the fact that I didn't notice that the fuel pump had quit earlier.

BTW., My lips are kinda blue and my fingers are all tingly...is that normal?

Old 10-06-2006, 04:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: owned Kirkham for 11 years
Not Ranked     

Ron,

Do you need another 5 gallon can?

Maurice
Old 10-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question

Maurice,

Thanks for the offer, I'm not yet sure what I'm going to do, but I probably wont empty the tank right away, as I'd like to get the car going by tomorrow am.

BTW, Anybody know if the pump will run backwards if I reverse the polarity to the leads? I wonder if that might dislodge the gunk. I think I may just try this when I get home...cant believe that I havent already. There is a filter downstream, so I'm not too woried that something might get through.